Your favourite narrator

chesilbeach

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, Stephen Fry has just recorded Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection for Audible.  It's all four novels plus the five collections of short stories and is almost 72 hours long!!!  :o  The full price is £69.99 but if you are a subscriber, it's just one credit.  I still have a credit from last month I haven't used, so I think this might be winging its way down to my Audible account later today. :lol:

I  nearly downloaded this (and still might) but some of the comments say that the collection (71 hours!!) is difficult to navigate, and as I've listened to four of the books I'd like to be able to skip to the unread ones. 

I haven't been in this thread before, being new to audio books, but I'm another who likes Juliet Stevenson as a narrator.  I also really like Amelia Fox.  Carol Boyd who narrated South Riding was just superb.

We also really liked Peter Forbes narrating Peter May's Coffin Road.  Other favourites have been Robert Hardy and Timothy West.  :)

I  nearly downloaded this (and still might) but some of the comments say that the collection (71 hours!!) is difficult to navigate, and as I've listened to four of the books I'd like to be able to skip to the unread ones.

I hadn't read those comments. I wonder if it depends on which app you use to access them? I usually just select the chapters view to pick a specific section in an audiobook, but then I guess it's not often you don't actually just listen to a book in a linear fashion.

• 3 weeks later...

Audible have just released a PDF that you can view on their website or download which is a detailed guide on the books and stories, and where they can be found in the audio book, down to which chapter you need to listen to for a particular story. :)

• 5 years later...
Guest Scribbla

My favourite would have to be Paul Vaughan. He narrated many audio books, but I chiefly remember him for his narration behind the 1984 Television move "Threads". 

I have not listened to many audiobooks, but the jewel in my small collection has to be Rob Inglis reading 'The Lord of The Rings' books.He also does a great job on 'The Hobbit' but LOTR is a brilliant piece of reading. He also sings many of the songs from the story, to tunes he apparently made up himself!

And after a while, you know which character is speaking (as he reads the lines) from subtle changes of voice in the narration.

On 09/07/2022 at 9:18 AM, timebug said:

I have not listened to many audiobooks, but the jewel in my small collection has to be Rob Inglis reading 'The Lord of The Rings' books.He also does a great job on 'The Hobbit' but LOTR is a brilliant piece of reading. He also sings many of the songs from the story, to tunes he apparently made up himself!

And after a while, you know which character is speaking (as he reads the lines) from subtle changes of voice in the narration.

He is my favourite too :) 

I've got several favourites:

Kobna Holbrook-Smith - The Rivers of London series

Michael Sheen - his reading of La Belle Sauvage and The Secret Commonwealth are sublime.

Christian Rodska's Falco books by Lindsay Davies (sadly he doesn't do them all)

Juliet Stevenson makes even the dullest book sound wondeerful.

• 1 year later...

I generally listen to audiobooks that are “classes” not actual books, but I get anything narrated by Richard Armitage. He reads a lot of Agatha Christa, and his David Copperfield was also terrific. He wrote an original audio story called Geneva that he co-narrates with Nicola Walker that’s great, and his narration of The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner made me go out and buy the actual book. Anytime I think I could have been an actor, all I have to do is listen to his narration to realize that no, I couldn’t have lol. He just does all the voices so well, it makes the story so easy to follow. 

:)