Do you sometimes refuse to read sequels?

emelee

If it's a storyline that I really enjoy, then I prefer a series over standalone books. I do agree that sometimes really successful series have their ups and downs, but unless it's really gone very badly downhill, I will generally feel the need to purchase and read the entire series. Also, I prefer series that have multiple story arcs and characters. As long as they all get properly tied up in the end, that is.

Personally speaking, I've found that how much I enjoy any particular book or series, depends in large part to how I'm feeling about life in general. Like if something really negative or upsetting is happening in my real life, I likely to go one of two ways in terms of my reading habits. I'll either read, obsessively, about anything remotely related to my situation, or avoid anything that might even remotely encompass the subject matter. And if we're talking non-fiction, I have tendency to gorge myself reading up on a topic that interests me. Kinda like eating so much of something you love until it reaches the point that you can't stand it anymore!

Oh lordy, I hope this make sense and doesn't make me sound like a total nutbar. Or a hormonal teenager. :giggle: (Was a long time ago, but fresh enough to remember that once in a lifetime is enough!)

I've actually got a copy of "Scarlett" on my bookshelves - snaffled at a bargin price in a sale - but I keep delaying actually getting into it. "Gone with the Wind" is such a terrific read, and it's Scarlett such a strong character. I'd hate it if reading "Scarlett" spoiled my image of Ms O'Hara, problems ... problems :smile:

I recently read War Horse and I don't know if I will bother with the sequel. It seems like a book for the money riding off the success of the original book. I don't see why there was any need for a sequel. Having said that I think it's unfair to judge the book before I've read it.

I've only ever read two major series (shock horror I know) and they both came highly recommended to me, by my now brother in law who has similar reading tastes. Hunger games and Game of thrones will be my next two, but as odd as this will sound, it never really occurred to me to read a series until I had met my now brother in law.

The game of thrones series is on my wish-list. It seems to have a lot of followers so it's got me curious!