#41 karen.d

karen.d

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Reading now?:'Wintersmith' by Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

I think it would be very difficult to make into a very good film because there are certain elements I think Hollywood would feel they had to cut which are, in my opinion, integral to the plot - things like the continued breastfeeding, which would be difficult to film with an actual 5-y-o, or even a young actor slightly older than that. People tend t obe wiggged out enough by breastfeeding (which is a shame) without seeing long-term nursing in films. If they cut that out, it would change a large part of the relationship dynamics between Ma and jack, and how their relationship is viewed in the outside world.

That said, I would love to see them try, so long as they were true to the story.

I also agree that this book would be difficult to adapt into a film. This is because the story is told through Jack and his specific vocabulary, so I think his perspective would be difficult to convey visually.

#42 ~Andrea~

~Andrea~

She-geek

• Advanced Member
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

I've just finished this on audio. What a brilliant book. I found it utterly compelling, was totally invested in the characters, and didn't want it to end. I loved Jack's voice as narrator. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Edited by ~Andrea~, 27 January 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#43 Sofia

Sofia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I've just finished this on audio. What a brilliant book. I found it utterly compelling, was totally invested in the characters, and didn't want it to end. I loved Jack's voice as narrator. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I loved this book.  I usually don't listen to audio books, but now that you mention it, it might be interesting to hear 

#44 Maurizio Pietrantuono

Maurizio Pietrantuono

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

i don't think this book is interesting at all 

#45 catherine_wilson

catherine_wilson

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

Room is such an excellent book and is so hard to put down once you start reading it! definitely worth a read!

#46 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts
  • Reading now?:Grunt - Mary Roach

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

I watched the movie earlier this week.....highly recommended.

#47 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Reading now?:Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

I watched the movie earlier this week.....highly recommended.

Was just going to write a post asking if anyone had seen the film, and whether it is worth watching.

I read this book over a year ago, yet it has stayed with me. I was hoping the film had done it justice - particularly the narrative from the child's perspective.

I guess I'll give the movie a go. :)

#48 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,059 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:05 AM

It's years since I read the book, barely remember it. Must watch the film.

#49 Woodchip

Woodchip

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:34 AM

I loved, loved, loved this book!! As incomprehensible as the scenario is it is drlivered and executed in the most believable way. I couldn't stop thinking about it afterwards for ages!!

#50 EnajYelrebmik

EnajYelrebmik

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

Absolutely adored the book, and loved the film too. They adapted it to a movie really well, didn't ruin it at all! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users