• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Weave

Weave

~This looks like a zombie pen!~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts
  • Reading now?:~The Dark Half by Stephen King & Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman~
  • LocationSomewhere in Scotland

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

I read 'Room' a few weeks ago, here is my review ~

'Room' is the story of Jack and his Ma, and where they live, a place called Room, Jack was born there and does not know anything else, his Ma is his whole world and Jack is his Ma's whole world. Ma tries to make things as normal as possible for Jack, he plays with his friends, who are cartoon characters on TV, he learns from his cartoon friends and his Ma and every night he sleeps in Wardrobe waiting for the door to Room to go 'beep beep' and open with the arrival of Old Nick, who Jack has never see up close because his Ma forbids it. Jack's world changes when his Ma tells Jack about 'Outside', what he can see when he looks out of 'Skylight' and Ma's plan to leave 'Room' forever.

What I thought of 'Room' ~

There has been endless positive reviews about 'Room' and I am going to add to them with another positive review, 'Room' is nothing short of brilliance, Emma Donoghue's has created one of the most insightful, whimsical, intelligent and endearing characters in five year old Jack. 'Room' is told from his point of view, everything in his world has order, he understands it, he has his Ma with him and that is all he needs. The character of Jack's Ma is well written, a woman raising her son in the strangest of circumstances, keeping his safe, teaching him as much as she can, her concerns as Jack gets older and what she should do to make sure they both get the lives they deserve, Jack and his Ma' strength as a family unit shines through, they are fiercely protective of each other.

Jack's individual look at the world shines through too, which will make you laugh and cry, you will feel for Jack and Ma, their fight to have normality in their lives is inspirational.

'Room' is well researched and without giving too much away, it explores all aspects of what Ma and Jack go through, you feel for both of them because they do not deserve their past and you feel positive for them for their future.

'Room' is a book that will stay with you, I guarantee Jack and his Ma will be in your thoughts from time to time.

Highly recommended.

Rating ~ 10/10

#22 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,674 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

I've also just read this and it was mind-blowing, I'd recommend it to anyone. And thanks everyone who've been reading this book and writing your reviews on it on either here or your reading blogs, I wouldn't have found out about this book without you :hug:

#23 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,423 posts
  • Reading now?:Every Second Counts by Sophie McKenzie
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

This has become my favourite book.

I felt like I was there. I felt sorry for his Ma.

Do you think they might this book in to a film?

#24 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,153 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

I think it would be very difficult to make into a very good film because there are certain elements I think Hollywood would feel they had to cut which are, in my opinion, integral to the plot - things like the continued breastfeeding, which would be difficult to film with an actual 5-y-o, or even a young actor slightly older than that. People tend t obe wiggged out enough by breastfeeding (which is a shame) without seeing long-term nursing in films. If they cut that out, it would change a large part of the relationship dynamics between Ma and jack, and how their relationship is viewed in the outside world.

That said, I would love to see them try, so long as they were true to the story.

#25 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

It was something we discussed at the book club. They view was it might to big a role for a child to play.

I actuallly miss Jack.

#26 bethany725

bethany725

Flying Backwards

• Advanced Member
  • 1,580 posts
  • Reading now?:The House I First Believed -Wally Lamb
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Kell, I agree wholeheartedly with your review. Definitely one of the best books I've read in a while.
Such a page-turner, I couldn't wait to see what happened to Jack and Ma next. I love the perspective of 5-year old Jack, since an adult perspective on this subject would have been so much more disturbing.
I was sucked in from about page 30, and read it in two sittings. Loved it!

#27 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:04 AM

I absolutely loved this too, and had a great conversation with Weave this evening about it :D

#28 Booklovers

Booklovers

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

So is this a really good read, I'm going to be starting reading this books soon, just about finish off the Jane Green book I'm reading.

#29 Booklovers

Booklovers

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Has anyone read this book, what did they think of it, I started reading it yesterday, & I can't make up mind if I like it our not.

#30 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,284 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

There is another thread about the book here. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews. :)

#31 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Lots of people have read this book and so far everyone loved it.

Its a book I would definitely recommend reading.

Edited by lovesreading06, 21 March 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#32 Ronny

Ronny

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

I just finished this book and agree with all the positive views above. I was not sure at first if I should try it as I did not care for Slammerkin very much but my library had it so I thought I'd take a peek and I'm so glad I did. I also was wondering what other characters were thinking
Spoiler
but I am glad they stuck with just Jack's take on everything, otherwise the book may have lost something.

#33 BookGeek20

BookGeek20

Settling In

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden- Jonas Jonasson
  • LocationGuernsey, Channel Islands

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

I absolutely loved this book and I read it in two days, my mum read it in one day! It is a really gripping read and I can still hear Jake's voice in my head, it made me cry in places too, although a lot of books seem to do that to me these days!

Room is definitely a must read if you have not read it, the subject matter is intense but starkingly real. Which makes it easier to read from a five year old's perspective. I will admit from the start I guessed several things, and I read the extract on Amazon but I worked it out in the end. It was a lovely book and I really enjoyed reading it. Could. Not. Put. It. Down!

ten out of ten for me :)

#34 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

I absolutely loved the book, couldn't put it down. It's my favorite read this year and I highly recommend it.

#35 Jade32

Jade32

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

Another lover of this book here too, probably one of the better books I have read this year. I read it in a couple of days which is unusual for me but just couldn't put it down.

#36 Weave

Weave

~This looks like a zombie pen!~

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts
  • Reading now?:~The Dark Half by Stephen King & Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman~
  • LocationSomewhere in Scotland

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

Its one of those books that you would find incredibly difficult not to like or indeed find fault in because of the way Emma Donoghue has written the characters of Ma and Jack, this book has stayed with me since I read it. :) I think it would be difficult to make a film of 'Room' because of various aspects, as Kell mentioned, the breastfeeding (but come on people its 2011!) but maybe with the right director, it could work. :)

#37 lopeanha

lopeanha

Mega Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Emma Donoghue > Room

Posted Image

synopsis from amazon
It's Jack's birthday, and he's excited about turning five. Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real - only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside . . . Told in Jack's voice, Room is the story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible.

my thoughts
This was a wonderful read, very moving. Everything that is so normal for Jack makes you ache for him as he just doesn't know it differently. The book is written from Jacks point of view and there for a bit childlike. As my english is not that good, I struggled a bit to understand everything at first. But I got into it soon enough and finished the book in a few days, beeing practicaly glued to it.

Rating: 4/5

#38 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,535 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

I really need to bump this up mount TBR!!

#39 ladymacbeth

ladymacbeth

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

Has anyone read any other of Emma Donoghue's books? I looked her up online and Slammerkin looked interesting.

#40 busy91

busy91

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

I liked this book, I wasn't sure at first. The young narrarator threw me off, however, as the story progressed I enjoyed it more and more. I've been recommending it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users