Room by Emma Donoghue

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this book and agree with all the positive views above. I was not sure at first if I should try it as I did not care for Slammerkin very much but my library had it so I thought I'd take a peek and I'm so glad I did. I also was wondering what other characters were thinking

specially Ma's point of view from the clinic and what she thought after Jack left her there, and was she planning this prior to the press conference or was it spontaneous after?

but I am glad they stuck with just Jack's take on everything, otherwise the book may have lost something.

• 4 months later...

I absolutely loved this book and I read it in two days, my mum read it in one day! It is a really gripping read and I can still hear Jake's voice in my head, it made me cry in places too, although a lot of books seem to do that to me these days!

Room is definitely a must read if you have not read it, the subject matter is intense but starkingly real. Which makes it easier to read from a five year old's perspective. I will admit from the start I guessed several things, and I read the extract on Amazon but I worked it out in the end. It was a lovely book and I really enjoyed reading it. Could. Not. Put. It. Down!

ten out of ten for me :)

Its one of those books that you would find incredibly difficult not to like or indeed find fault in because of the way Emma Donoghue has written the characters of Ma and Jack, this book has stayed with me since I read it. :) I think it would be difficult to make a film of 'Room' because of various aspects, as Kell mentioned, the breastfeeding (but come on people its 2011!) but maybe with the right director, it could work. :)

Emma Donoghue > Room

51FHAmfv-7L._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

It's Jack's birthday, and he's excited about turning five. Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real - only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside . . . Told in Jack's voice, Room is the story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible.

my thoughts

This was a wonderful read, very moving. Everything that is so normal for Jack makes you ache for him as he just doesn't know it differently. The book is written from Jacks point of view and there for a bit childlike. As my english is not that good, I struggled a bit to understand everything at first. But I got into it soon enough and finished the book in a few days, beeing practicaly glued to it.

Rating: 4/5

• 4 months later...

I think it would be very difficult to make into a very good film because there are certain elements I think Hollywood would feel they had to cut which are, in my opinion, integral to the plot - things like the continued breastfeeding, which would be difficult to film with an actual 5-y-o, or even a young actor slightly older than that. People tend t obe wiggged out enough by breastfeeding (which is a shame) without seeing long-term nursing in films. If they cut that out, it would change a large part of the relationship dynamics between Ma and jack, and how their relationship is viewed in the outside world.

That said, I would love to see them try, so long as they were true to the story.

I also agree that this book would be difficult to adapt into a film. This is because the story is told through Jack and his specific vocabulary, so I think his perspective would be difficult to convey visually.

• 2 years later...

I've just finished this on audio. What a brilliant book. I found it utterly compelling, was totally invested in the characters, and didn't want it to end. I loved Jack's voice as narrator. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Edited by ~Andrea~

I've just finished this on audio. What a brilliant book. I found it utterly compelling, was totally invested in the characters, and didn't want it to end. I loved Jack's voice as narrator. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I loved this book.  I usually don't listen to audio books, but now that you mention it, it might be interesting to hear 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I watched the movie earlier this week.....highly recommended.

Was just going to write a post asking if anyone had seen the film, and whether it is worth watching.

I read this book over a year ago, yet it has stayed with me. I was hoping the film had done it justice - particularly the narrative from the child's perspective.

I guess I'll give the movie a go. :)

• 1 month later...