Left-wing books

George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' and his 'Nineteen Eighty Four' are both worth reading, whatever your politics.

Early political writer's include Thomas Paine, Mary Wollstonecraft and her husband William Godwin. They are worth looking into as they each were polically relevant and intellectually surpassed many of their contemporaries.

I found a listing for a publishing housewhich gives an listing of their left-wing non-fiction books and authors.

Although I understand that you are looking to explore your own sense of politics withoin your reading, try not to be too narrow in your approach. I find stuff that informs and shapes my political opinions in the most unlikely of books, and sometimes reading a text that runs totally contrary to your beliefs can give you more than a book that has a message that can sit alongside your beliefs. Good luck finding what you're looking for. :)

If you also like to read about the future people from the past (19th century) were dreaming of, maybe NEWS FROM NOWHERE by William Morris will appeal to you as much as it had to me.

People often compare it to UTOPIA by Sir Thomas More.

I personally really loved it.

Another good author is Emile Zola. I've only read one of his books, Germinal, but it's one of my favorites.

I'm a big fan of Zola's writing and would always recommend him. I would also recommend 'What a Carve Up' by Jonathon Coe - it's anti-Thatcherism and also very funny in places.

Hello folks,

I am 16 years old and already convinced left-winger. Are there any good books (novels) about left-wing politics/communism/left action that are essential for the leftie?

thanks a heap

Ruben

I am a very very conservative republican, and as much as I would love to insert my personal oppinions I wont. I will tell you however that I have heard great things about "MY Life" Bill Clintons Autobiography!

If you are interested in memoirs, another great one is The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. In it, he reveals a lot about his personal experiences and his political ideology. In addition to Clinton's memoir, another Clinton book, Giving, is another good read. It's not necessarily left-wing, but it focuses on philanthropy and how people, governments, and non-governmental organizations can help people around the world.