LGBT literature

frankie

Hope it's ok to bump this thread, after such a long interval!

It's more than okay to bump the thread up, I more than welcome new suggestions! :smile2: I don't think I've heard of most of the books you listed, personally. 

I'll update the list in the first post in a minute :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The Helsinki Pride week started today over here, and it made me think of this genre. (Hence the avatar)

A new book to add to the list would be What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell. I've not read it (yet), but it's supposed to be good. 

I've also read a fictionalized account of Patricia Highsmith, called The Crime Writer and it's by Jill Dawson, which I shall add to the list. 

It's been a really long time since we've done most of the adding to the list, so I'd welcome anyone who has new titles for the list to post on the thread! :)

Edited by frankie

On 24.8.2010 at 11:50 AM, frankie said:

Yesterday I was looking for the thread CornflowerBlue had started on LGBT literature (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender). After an extensive search for it with cats and dogs, fellow members of BCF and the mods and admin, it was concluded that the thread has somehow gone missing. I wanted to start a new thread on the subject and eventhough I believe CornflowerBlue was focusing more on the YA novels, or at least novels that had young LGBT characters in them, I'd like to broaden the discussion to include any kind of LGBT literature. I would really appreciate it if everyone who contributed to the previous thread would jog their memory and remember the novels they recommended and would post about them again :smile:

The reason why I was searching for the thread yesterday is that when I was doing some book hunting for my own thesis, I came across this new book in the uni library: The Heart Has Its Reasons: Young Adult Literature with Gay/Lesbian/Queer content, 1969-2004. It's by Michael Cart and Christine A. Jenkins and it seems really interesting and I figured I'd have loads of titles to throw in the mix on the thread. I was planning on browsing through the book yesterday but instead I spent loads of time looking for the actual thread in which to contribute. I'll get back to you when I've had time to look at the book more closely.

My own LGBT recommendations would include Sarah Waters's Fingersmith, Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Michael Cunningham's A Home at the End of the World (which is actually on my top 5 novels, ever).

A collected list of authors and books that are recommended/mentioned in this thread:
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham
Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson
Sarah Schulman
The Bar Stories by Nisa Donnelly
Sandra Scoppettone
The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren
The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson.
Sucking Sherbet Lemons by Michael Carson
Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides
My Invented Life by Lauren Bjorkman
A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend by Emily Horner
Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd
The House of Night series by P.C. + Kristin Cast
Say The Word by Jeannine Garsee
Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher
Twelve Long Months by Brian Malloy
Ash by Malinda Lo
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
Hero by Perry Moore
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan
Pages For You by Sylia Brownrig

Ask the Passengers by A. S. King

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology, and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She Is Today by Kate Bornstein

Maurice by E.M. Forster

Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote

City of Night by John Rechy

Skin Lane by Neil Bartlett

Queer by William S. Burroughs

The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

Stripping Penguins Bare by Michael Carson

Yanking up the Yoyo by Michael Carson

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling

The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson

Some titles to add to the list :). Most of them are YA, the top 2 are middle grade.

Books I've read:

The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams

George by Alex Gino

Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

Aristotle And Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

The Before Now and After Then by Peter Monn

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac

Books I've not read (but I do own):

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

You Know Me Well by NinaLaCour and David Levithan

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

Golden Boy by Abigail Tartellin

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I have just finished What Belongs to You  by Garth Greenwell; I found the writing very similar to that of Alan Hollinghurst, so anyone who has enjoyed AH's books might enjoy it.  I found the ending of the book very moving.

A couple more for the list are The Spell and The Stranger's Child.  I found them both good reads, but didn't enjoy them quite as much as The Line of Beauty.

On 25.6.2017 at 9:46 AM, Athena said:

Some titles to add to the list :). Most of them are YA, the top 2 are middle grade.

Books I've read:

The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams

George by Alex Gino

Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

Aristotle And Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

The Before Now and After Then by Peter Monn

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

10 Things I Can See From Here by Carrie Mac

Books I've not read (but I do own):

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

You Know Me Well by NinaLaCour and David Levithan

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

Golden Boy by Abigail Tartellin

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Wow, that's a long list, thanks! :smile2: I shall add the titles to the first post. I haven't heard of any of these, apart from Carry On. :o

On 27.6.2017 at 11:28 PM, Ooshie said:

I have just finished What Belongs to You  by Garth Greenwell; I found the writing very similar to that of Alan Hollinghurst, so anyone who has enjoyed AH's books might enjoy it.  I found the ending of the book very moving.

Garth Greenwell was a guest at a Helsinki Lit event about a month or two ago. I was initially going to go with a friend, but he cancelled and I didn't want to go on my own. It made me add WBtY on a reading list, though! My Boss is reading the book at the moment, she's liking it. I will have to read it at some point! Boss watched the Helsinki Lit on TV and said the man was so nice :)

On 27.6.2017 at 11:28 PM, Ooshie said:

A couple more for the list are The Spell and The Stranger's Child.  I found them both good reads, but didn't enjoy them quite as much as The Line of Beauty.

Oh yes, The Stranger's Child! I want to read it so bad :)  I also want to read The Swimming-Pool Library

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm participating in a yearlong tbr challenge on Goodreads, where each month has a different theme. This month we read books with lgbt characters.

So far I've read:

Simon vs the homosapiens agenda by Becky Albertalli

The upside of unrequited by Becky Albertalli

The rest of us just live here by Patrick Ness

Every Day by David Levithan

and I'm currently reading:

Leah on the off beat by Becky Albertalli

4 hours ago, Athena said:

What an awesome theme :). I've read the Becky Albertalli books and liked them, are you enjoying them?

Oh yes, they're a lot of fun. I think The upside... is my favourite. I can also highly recommend The rest of us just live here by Patrick Ness and Every Day by David Levithan

Edited by lopeanha

On 11/22/2018 at 4:28 PM, lopeanha said:

Oh yes, they're a lot of fun. I think The upside... is my favourite. I can also highly recommend The rest of us just live here by Patrick Ness and Every Day by David Levithan

Sounds good! I already own Every Day, it's good to know you liked it :). I'll look into The Rest of Us Just Live Here :).

• 2 weeks later...