Scariest Book Ever?

Guest Sifredi8760

(nor do I think much of the movie), but I don't like the fact that it's a purely emotional, psychological book with no actual confirmed possession, reduced to nothing but cheap scares in movie form

Blasphemy! It's a fantastic movie, more of a harrowing, creeping documentary than a horror movie. The cheap scares are built up well and very few, I can only think of four such scares and they're by far not the most enjoyable parts of the movie, for the casual moviegoer they're what will be discussed and remembered but the whole direction of the film is masterful and characterization that is put across from the book is very well done with regard to the timescale.

At The Mountains of Madness

Ye olde classic Dracula still unbeaten too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Exorcist. I still fear my bed will levitate and start bouncing around.

Pet Sematary scared me when I was a teenager! Won't even look at the book or movies now. Just thinking about it/seeing the title gives me the creeps.

Pet Sematary creeped me out pretty bad too.

The Shining by Stephen King

I read this as a teenager - not knowing anything about the book or the author, and it haunted me for weeks.

(I watched the film a few years ago and it wasn't half as scary)

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen King's The Dark Half for me, without a shadow of a doubt. The film's very good too, in a very '80s sort of way.

I still get shudders when I see the crows start their nightly routine at work as it reminds me of "the sparrows are flying"

Dark Matter got my heart rate going - that's more building tension than anything but it definitely made its mark!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm yet to find 'the one' horror that scares me. I have probably ruined this by the amount of horror films I have seen but the book I am reading now 'The Haunted' by Niki Valentine is pretty creepy and I have to look over my shoulder occasionally when reading at night. I believe she is releasing another book soon so I shall be adding that to my list!!

Andie x

I'm not sure I've ever been scared by a book. I've found some books very disturbing or even upsetting, but not scary. Well maybe American Psycho - I love this book, but it was the only book I've ever felt that I couldn't read in bed at night because it freaked me out. I think it's because I don't believe in ghosts and things like that, but American Psycho was about a man, and theoretically it could happen.

I recently read a book called the Flames of Perdition which I downloaded for free on Amazon, it was not so much, that it was what I would label as a conventional 'horror', but filled me with dread, especially when I read the terrific unexpected twist at the end and got me thinking about my life in general. It is has a strong Western theme, but do not let that fool you because it has a strong supernatural/horror undertone.

• 6 months later...

I have got the horror bug and decided to move away from my ‘normal’ type of book and want to pick out a really good horror book. I think I have got the bug from watching the American Horror Asylum series on Fox - not my normal TV viewing either, but I'm hooked already!

I’ve read one James Herbert book in the past (Nobody True), and Different Seasons by Stephen King (not really horror though!), but I quite like the idea of reading a book that is going to scare the hell out of me (don’t worry, I’m not weird!).

Any recommendations? The scarier, the better! (And preferably available on the Kindle!)

The scariest book I've ever read was The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams. The book was outright creepy and haunted me for days after reading it. Unfortunately, it's not available on Kindle, and it's not even in print at this time. Used paperback copies at a cheap price are easy to come by, though.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is the next very creepy book that comes to mind. You may have a different idea of what is scary than I do, though. I prefer psychological horror that sends chills up my spine. Gory stuff I don't find frightening, just gory.

Another good one is Ghost Story by Peter Straub. In fact, that one may be just as haunting as The Girl in a Swing, although in a different way. Again, that one is not available for Kindle, but it is readily available in mass market paperback.

Good luck. I hope you find one that works for you. :smile:

The scariest book I've ever read was The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams. The book was outright creepy and haunted me for days after reading it. Unfortunately, it's not available on Kindle, and it's not even in print at this time. Used paperback copies at a cheap price are easy to come by, though.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is the next very creepy book that comes to mind. You may have a different idea of what is scary than I do, though. I prefer psychological horror that sends chills up my spine. Gory stuff I don't find frightening, just gory.

Another good one is Ghost Story by Peter Straub. In fact, that one may be just as haunting as The Girl in a Swing, although in a different way. Again, that one is not available for Kindle, but it is readily available in mass market paperback.

Good luck. I hope you find one that works for you. :smile:

Thanks Pixie, I'm going to check these out!!

Andie x

Thanks Pixie! I might just have to check one of those out!

The Haunting of Hill House is available on Kindle. If you do read one of those, I would love to hear your thoughts. :smile:

Thanks Pixie, I'm going to check these out!!

Andie x

You're welcome, Andie. I hope you find copies and have a chance to read them. I would love to hear your thoughts . :smile:

Edited by Pixie

I'm not sure I've ever been scared by a book. I've found some books very disturbing or even upsetting, but not scary. Well maybe American Psycho - I love this book, but it was the only book I've ever felt that I couldn't read in bed at night because it freaked me out. I think it's because I don't believe in ghosts and things like that, but American Psycho was about a man, and theoretically it could happen.

Same here can't name a book I found truly scary. I haven't read The Exorcist, I did see the movie and was disappointed. I'd heard many thought it was scary and I saw it when I was finally old enough to watch it. Of course by then I'd seen some more up to date horror movies and thought The Exorcist movie was just starting to warm up before getting to its frightful climax. It was a suprise to find out that that was it, no more to come just the ending credits across the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Pet Semetary is a very creepy book - and creepy film too. The whole atmosphere throughout totally unnerves me. When I was young I read a book called A Candle in her Room - absolutely terrified me. But I loved being scared so much I read and reread it all the time. Every night I woke up screaming with night terrors! Eventually my mother banned me from taking it out from the school library anymore!