Scariest Book Ever?

Guest Sifredi8760

Guest Sifredi8760

Hey I was wondering what has been the scariest book you've ever read? So far, "Hell House" by Richard Matherson has been the scariest book I've ever read and I'm trying to find something as good or better.

I like to read books that make you jump when you hear an unexpected noise (like someone knocks on your door while your reading and you scream!)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sure we had a thread like this already, but I cannot find it anywhere...I did find three 'Looking For...' threads that were looking for scary, chilling, macabre etc books, so you may find one or two in these!

Take a look through them and see if any leap out at you! :wink:

One here.

The second one here, and

Number three thread is here.

We definitely had a thread like this, but I can't find it either!

I've never been scared by a book. I would LOVE to find a book so scary that it actually scared me, but I don't think it'll ever happen. I'll admit, I was a little unsettled reading The Exorcist, but that was primarily because I watched the movie when I was 12 and it scared the bejesus out of me, so reading a book that reminded me on every page of that was unsettling. Beyond that though, nothing has scared me.

ETA: Ah, do you know what it is Chrissy? We're thinking of the 'Most Disturbing Book' thread! But that's actually a different topic, the OP explicitly states they don't necessarily mean scary. This is scariest. Continue! :lol:

Ring by Koji Suzuki, its not outright horror, its psychological and parts of books were creepy and scary, Spiral the follow up to Ring was more scary but again psychological, the idea of what was happening *shudder* :lol:

Stephen King's The Dark Half for me, without a shadow of a doubt. The film's very good too, in a very '80s sort of way.

That's one of my favorite books! I've read it at least four times. It's wonderfully creepy, but I don't find it to be too scary. I love scary, creepy books, so none of them scare me too much. I think the book that disturbed me the most was Monster by Jonathan Kellerman. I had a lot of sleepless nights after reading that one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too think "The woman in Black" is very creepy; so too is "The Mist in the Mirror" by the same author. However M. R. James takes some beating when it comes to ghost stories, although some of them do feel a little dated now. The Virago Book of Ghost Stories is an excellent collection with some very creepy tales. Two by Marjorie Bowen stand out. They are both less then 150 words and both, I think, scary and pack a punch. Worth looking out for.

Stephen King's The Dark Half for me, without a shadow of a doubt. The film's very good too, in a very '80s sort of way.

I agree BookJumper, 'The Dark Half' was scary, George Stark was horrifying! (in the book and the film) 1.gif