Scariest Book Ever?

Guest Sifredi8760

I can't think of a single book by Graham Masterton that hasn't contained at least one scene that completely freaked me out. The man is sick, lol.

Also, there's a scene in House On Haunted Hill by Shirley Jackson that really got to me. Two of the characters are in one of the bedrooms and the ghosty thing is crashing its way methodically down the hallway towards them. Scared the bejesus out of me. The rest of the book was pretty tame, but I'll always remember that scene.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say that there's two that are pretty deadlocked for scariest book ever... was that a pun? Anyway, It by Stephen King, but not for the reasons that most people think. It wasn't the idea of a murderous child-eating clown that was really an epic space monster, or anything like that. There's a part in the book where King talks about a stepfather killing his younger stepson with a recoil-less hammer... you know, no matter how hard you hit something with it, it won't bounce back... the mental image still haunts me to this day of that particular scene... and I read some screwed up stuff, but that part just... ugh. Shudder.

Tied with that is actually just a short story written by a local nobody named Mike Marsh... he's never been really published or anything like that, and he actually died about three years ago. But before he did, I got my hands on a copy of a three story collection he home-printed in 2002. The second story in it is about twin brothers, their incestuous relationship that spanned four or five years while they were in their teens, and one of the brothers' mental problems. I later found out that he based it off of his own brothers, who were accused multiple times of being lovers. Anyway, most of the story takes place in the one brother's head; he's on multiple drugs for his laundry list of disorders, and half the time he's not sure what's real and what's not. The other half of the time he's sure, but it's backwards; the real is fake to him, and the imaginary is true to him. It's scary and sad and lovely, and by the end of it I was so shaken and miserable that I couldn't sleep for two days. It wasn't a terror factor; it was simply so depressing it was scary how badly I hurt after it. I've only ever been able to get through it one other time. Since the second time I read it, that little bundle of half-pages has been hidden in the back of my old German textbook from high school, so I don't have to think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The creepiest book I have ever read would have to be The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams. It's also hauntingly sad.

The scariest would be A Canticle for Leibowitz, for it's accurate prediction, in my estimation, of what the future holds for humankind.

The creepiest book I have ever read would have to be The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams. It's also hauntingly sad.

Yes, "hauntingly sad" is a perfect description of this book. My mother gave it to me after I read The Plague Dogs. It was quite, quite different.

The scariest book I have ever read was Lunar Park, by Bret Easton Ellis. Again, I wasn't expecting it to be such an affecting book. It got to the point where I couldn't read it past dark, and I had to be in company to read it, even during the daytime. He said he was writing it in homage to Stephen King, and hoped to emulate some of his horror-writing style. I think he succeeded!

Yes, "hauntingly sad" is a perfect description of this book. My mother gave it to me after I read The Plague Dogs. It was quite, quite different.

I'm glad to find someone else who read this book. :) It seems to be an obscure title from Richard Adams, and I can't understand why, as I find it to be his best work. And I did love Watership Down.

I'm glad to find someone else who read this book. :) It seems to be an obscure title from Richard Adams, and I can't understand why, as I find it to be his best work. And I did love Watership Down.

It's certainly one of those books which has accompanied me every time I've moved house. :) Adams just has a knack for writing novels which make the lives of his characters appear so seemingly futile at times. He is a great author.

We actually named one our rabbits Bigwig, a long time ago. Another classic book! I might have to re-read that soon...

Additionally, I would like to add The Road to this list. I read it about six months prior to the film being released. I was pretty excited when I heard it was being adapted, as the previous McCarthy adaptation (No Country for Old Men) had been a really fantastic one. As yet, I still haven't seen the film, but the novel has stayed with me with utter clarity. As soon as I started reading it I knew it was going to be hard to put it down.

I think McCarthy's unusual style of writing lends itself really well to the genre of the novel, and added massively to the suspense. At times it was disturbing and uncomfortable reading. I think this is because it propositions you with something which isn't outside the realms of possibility. If you haven't read the book, even if you have seen the film, I would highly recommend it ^_^

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ring by Koji Suzuki, its not outright horror, its psychological and parts of books were creepy and scary, Spiral the follow up to Ring was more scary but again psychological, the idea of what was happening *shudder* :lol:

I have and love this book, had no idea there was a follow up so will need to go searching for it. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I don't tend to scare easily, but "Let the Right one in" did disturb me in some parts.

I read Pet Cemetery by Stephen King a few years back and recall that being slightly creepy too. I haven't ever actually read IT or Salem's Lot but they are on my rather long TBR list! :readingtwo:

The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams.

Oh oh - 2 other people who have read this book!! Yes it was creepy - and strange - and beautiful. I loved this book - even if I didn't quite get it.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 3 weeks later...

Pet Sematary scared me when I was a teenager! Won't even look at the book or movies now. Just thinking about it/seeing the title gives me the creeps.

I agree about the book, MountainGirl, very creepy. If you see the film though you'll most likely die laughing because it was just horrible! :lol:

I agree about the book, MountainGirl, very creepy. If you see the film though you'll most likely die laughing because it was just horrible! :lol:

:lol: :lol: it was!

'IT' by Stephen King, I was never a fan of clowns before but I after read 'IT', I was terrified of them and their wicked, storm drain ways!. 1.gif

For more psychological horror, I found 'Ring' & 'Spiral' by Koji Suzuki scary, it was more the idea of what was about going to happen that what actually happened, very nerve wracking. :)

Edited by Weave

I saw the movie when I was probably 12 or so and it scared me more than anything - I only read the book later on to get a good thrill. I regretted it!

• 3 months later...

I'll admit, I was a little unsettled reading The Exorcist, but that was primarily because I watched the movie when I was 12 and it scared the bejesus out of me, so reading a book that reminded me on every page of that was unsettling. Beyond that though, nothing has scared me.

I was in no way even unsettled by this book, but I do have to ask you this question. When you were done reading this book were you as unhappy with the fact that they seemed to have missed the point entirely in making the movie?

***SPOILER ALERT***

I mean, seriously, the book was NOT about Reagan, it was about Damien, his struggles with his faith and the fact that he had to help with the exorcism while dealing with the death of his mother, his own guilt and the failing faith I mentioned above.

When I read that book I was totally blown away at how good of a story it was compared to a movie I found good, but a bit slow and boring. I can honestly say I will never watch the movie again, but I will definitely keep that book on my book shelf.

I was in no way even unsettled by this book, but I do have to ask you this question. When you were done reading this book were you as unhappy with the fact that they seemed to have missed the point entirely in making the movie?

I wasn't unhappy because I didn't think it was a particularly good book (nor do I think much of the movie), but I don't like the fact that it's a purely emotional, psychological book with no actual confirmed possession, reduced to nothing but cheap scares in movie form, so I'm with you on that. I'm not sure if they MISSED the point, or just chose to take it in a different direction, but they are utterly different beasts.

I wasn't unhappy because I didn't think it was a particularly good book (nor do I think much of the movie), but I don't like the fact that it's a purely emotional, psychological book with no actual confirmed possession, reduced to nothing but cheap scares in movie form, so I'm with you on that. I'm not sure if they MISSED the point, or just chose to take it in a different direction, but they are utterly different beasts.

You are quite right, they are utterly different. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book. I guess we all have different tastes in things of that nature.

• 4 weeks later...

Fearie Tale by Raymond E Feist.

I woke up with nightmares and had to keep the light on. I got it because I read everything by Feist, not realising it was not like his other novels.

It was so well written that I lived the story.........................

• 4 months later...