Books About Witch Trials set in the 1500-1600's

Hey guys! I'm looking for some books that go into pretty good detail of witch trials both in America and in Europe. Fiction and non-fiction titles would be greatly appreciated as the only one I can ever think of is the Crucible. Your suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edited by CaliLily

And, there's The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow, which is a truly superb novel. I think Marcia reviewed it not long ago. Have a look. You'll love it! friends0.gif

There are some pretty good suggestions here. :)

This subject interests me too after The Heretic's Daughter and The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane (both of which you've read, if I remember correctly?).

I don't know if you 'do' Children's/Young Adult, but whilst it's not strictly about Salem, I have The Witch of Blackbird Pond on my Wishlist.

Wonderful suggestions so far, thank you guys! You're the best :D

And, there's The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow, which is a truly superb novel. I think Marcia reviewed it not long ago. Have a look. You'll love it! friends0.gif

Come to think of it, I do remember stalking Marcia's thread and seeing her review. I'll have to go back here and re-read her review! She tends to have good taste when it comes to books like this, so if she liked it it must be a good one!

You are way too nice to me, Abby, but thank you! I'm eternally indebted to Mr. Mac over there for recommending The Last Witchfinder to me, since it was his suggestion that I read it. It's a VERY good resource for info on the witch hunts both in England and the US, and Morrow is a first-rate researcher as far as I could tell :D.

I also loved The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane (aka Lost Book of Salem) and am anxiously awaiting The Heretic's Daughter arrival from Charm.

Oh! If your searches in non-fiction books bring you upon the name Rebecca Blake Eames, will you let me know? She was accused of witchcraft but somehow aquitted, and is my ancestor so I'd love to find out more :).

You are way too nice to me, Abby, but thank you! I'm eternally indebted to Mr. Mac over there for recommending The Last Witchfinder to me, since it was his suggestion that I read it. It's a VERY good resource for info on the witch hunts both in England and the US, and Morrow is a first-rate researcher as far as I could tell :D.

I also loved The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane (aka Lost Book of Salem) and am anxiously awaiting The Heretic's Daughter arrival from Charm.

Oh! If your searches in non-fiction books bring you upon the name Rebecca Blake Eames, will you let me know? She was accused of witchcraft but somehow aquitted, and is my ancestor so I'd love to find out more :).

I'll do that! I knew you had ties out to the Boston area but didn't realize that one of your ancestors was part of that! That's some cool family history right there. :D Nathaniel Hawthorne's grandfather was the judge who presided over the Witch Trials and he was terribly ashamed of it his whole life, even added the W to HaWthorne to disassociate himself with the man. I love Hawthorne and lot of Salem's history echos through his work, but I'm looking for more emotions, feelings, thoughts of the 'people' who were experiencing it so unfortunately he doesn't really help much.

Thanks Nici! I'll put those down on the list :D

Edited by CaliLily

I was looking through Amazon for some Witch Trial books and was excited to see that Mist over Pendle is being re-released (I have pre-ordered). I read this 20 odd years ago and then it became out of print (couldn't even get hold of a copy in the libary).

Mist over Pendle

Edited by SueK

:I-Agree::she: Two great books about the salem witch trials I think you'd enjoy CaliLily :D

I was looking through Amazon for some Witch Trial books and was excited to see that Mist over Pendle is being re-released (I have pre-ordered). I read this 20 odd years ago and then it became out of print (couldn't even get hold of a copy in the libary).

Mist over Pendle

Good spot, Sue! I think I'll be looking out for that, too.

I'd also recommend The Heretic's Daughter. I read it earlier this year and it gives a great idea of how people lived in those times, the religious mania and the danger of gossip. I was quite horrified by some of the things the book talks about it and it made me very angry by the end.