In need of suggestions

Hello people, I'm searching for a couple of books that thoroughly and accurately provide info on a few connected subjects. Since there are thousands of different books that cover similar topics I ask the advice of readers who know the best works of these kinds.

Summarized:

- An objective work on the entire history of Humankind dating from the first civilizations to the 20th century. Accumulating detailed information on the development of races, cultures and politics of the mentioned times.

- A work that best informs on the development if the human races and the factors that influenced that process.

- A work that best informs on the development of politics and the various political systems.

- A work that best informs on the topic of natural selection, genetic engineering and eugenics as a whole (other than Darwin's work).

- A work that gives the best insight into European cultures, especially the ones of northern Europe (possibly by a native author).

I know there are a lot of authors out there covering these subjects, but I hope there are experienced readers on these boards that know the best, Thanks!

Hmm, not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but Dawkins seems to be very popular (I haven't read much of him though).

For example The Selfish Gene (''a book on evolution''), The Extended Phenotype seem close-ish to what you're looking for.

Can't help with the other topics I'm affraid.

Edited by Brida

I've been pondering how best to respond to your first post here, and even looked into some titles that might suit your rather extensive requirements. I did feel that you were rather wanting others to do the 'leg work' for what I assume are your studies / homework / coursework, which is something we really only allow regular and active members to do, but what the heck? if any of our members could help, than great. Then you posted your last comment,

Anyone know about a forum that covers real, important books? Thanks.

Suddenly I felt a little less warm and fuzzy about your request for recommendations, and felt more that you were actually quite rude.

My suggestion therefore, is that you look for forums that are adeqaute to your needs on your own, and leave us to our fake, unimportant books. :)

Whops, yes, I see it came out the wrong way. Since this is the first forum that is displayed when searching book clubs or forums, I considered it to be very universal in topic range. What I said, I browsed a little and found discussions on some nice books but those were mostly novels and fiction stories, so I wrongly presumed the forum specializes these types of works when I asked, being a little disappointed by the time required to get a reply, for another forum that could maybe be more non-fiction or novel oriented. I apologize, I'm kinda impatient at times, especially now when I am doing a final essay work on the positive aspects of applying eugenics and natural selection in certain societies and civilizations. I've got about 4 months and need works that contain the most of historical, political and cultural info written in the best and non-drawn-out way. No harm intended, if you still feel like giving be a hand I will very much appreciate it, given in the form of book recc's or maybe the name of another forum whose members could. Sorry and thanks. :)

So, I take it you're not planning on involving yourself in our forum anymore. Well, don't expect much help, in that case. Especially in the form of a recommendation to another forum. We're not here to do your research for you.

- A work that best informs on the topic of natural selection, genetic engineering and eugenics as a whole (other than Darwin's work)

As someone else has mentioned, Dawkins is a popular choice for natural selection. If you want different angles, go for Dawkins and perhaps Gould. Maynard Smith is another influential evolutionary biologist. However, it depends on your understanding of biology. I wouldn't recommend you read The Extended Phenotype unless you have some understanding of biology, as it was largely intended by Dawkins for his fellow scientists, and so it makes the assumption of familiarity with various aspects of biology and evolutionary theory. There is obviously disagreement in evolutionary theory, so go for authors that are proponents of different levels of selection (there is overlap).

I hope that helps.

Edited by aviv chadash

Thank Aviv Chadash. For the other members, could you at least recommend another more academic forum then?

Why not try your local reference library (or your college/university one). Are you based in UK? Maybe try Foyles' website?

Now, let us Luddites get back to our Mills and Boons .... :readingtwo::P

Edited by SueK