Star Wars books

SGM

The only ones I can recommend are the Timothy Zahn Thrawn Series I read them years ago, they are set after the fall of the empire.

From Amazon product description: It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.

I have only read a few of the older ones apart from this trilogy but it was such a long time ago now :D

I think we've had this before on here, not sure!

I read quite a few Star Wars books in the early nineties, but don't remember much detail at this distance.

I think I remember The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy being pretty good, and Truce at Bakura and The Courtship of Princess Leia, but there were some stinkers as well - The Crystal Star springs to mind.

I haven't read any since the prequels came out, they greatly diminished my interest in the franchise.

Truce at Bakura and The Courtship of Princess Leia

I seem to remember reading those two years ago and enjoying them. I seem to remember quite liking Children Of The Jedi as well.

I haven't read any since the prequels came out, they greatly diminished my interest in the franchise.

Same here. A shame, really, cos I still love the original versions of the first trilogy, but I've got no time for the special editions, and the prequels are just cgi nonsense.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I read it (probably the best part of twenty years now!) but I remember I wasn't very impressed with the opening Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

I know a lot of people rave about it, and it does have some good ideas, but I didn't get along with Zahn's writing style (and I remember several parts of the story being fairly cliché).

• 1 year later...

What are some good Star Wars books to go along with the movies?

All of them! :D

I would, however, suggest you avoid Splinter of the Mind's Eye, The Crystal Star and Planet of Twilight, and at a push the Jedi Academy trilogy (Kevin J. Anderson's character development leaves a lot to be desired).

Star Wars reading musts are: Shadows of the Empire (set between Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi), The Truce at Bakura (follows on immediately after Return of the Jedi), Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy and The Hand of Thrawn duo, all the books in the New Jedi Order series, and likewise the Fate of the Jedi series. :smile:

• 2 years later...

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...it was the only Star Wars thread I could find...

What would the world be without eBay? Okay, a planet with a whole lot less shopaholics. But! I love it! Why? I finally have my eager little mitts on a copy of Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster. *does the Jones happy dance*

I loathe incomplete collections, and with the purchase of Splinter I now have one less hole in my Star Wars log dam. :exc:

Yes. Yes, I'm a nerd.

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...it was the only Star Wars thread I could find...

What would the world be without eBay? Okay, a planet with a whole lot less shopaholics. But! I love it! Why? I finally have my eager little mitts on a copy of Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster. *does the Jones happy dance*

I loathe incomplete collections, and with the purchase of Splinter I now have one less hole in my Star Wars log dam. :exc:

Yes. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Congrats! :D   Sadly, I'm old enough to remember the fuss when Splinter first came out :(  :giggle2:

I hope you enjoy the book :)!

Thank you! :)

Congrats! :D   Sadly, I'm old enough to remember the fuss when Splinter first came out :(  :giggle2:

That would make you *counts on her fingers...* nevermind, I ran out of fingers...and toes. :P

I have heard that the story is truly awful, but as a fanboy...err...fangirl I need to have and read the book. :D

That would make you *counts on her fingers...* nevermind, I ran out of fingers...and toes. :P

I have heard that the story is truly awful, but as a fanboy...err...fangirl I need to have and read the book. :D

Yeah, it's pretty awful, from what I recall - can't imagine what would've happened if it had been filmed instead of ESB.  But it was quite exciting at the time.  I imagine it'll have some amusement value now  :giggle2:

Yeah, it's pretty awful, from what I recall - can't imagine what would've happened if it had been filmed instead of ESB.  But it was quite exciting at the time.  I imagine it'll have some amusement value now  :giggle2:

I shall be interested to see how cheesy I think the book is upon reading it. I couldn't imagine anything being filmed in place of ESB as it is my favourite SW film. There are some Star wars novels I would have loved to see a film adaptation hit the big screen. 

I too remember the fuss when it came out (I was in Primary School at the time).

I think I've still got an original copy of it kicking around somewhere, but I've never actually read it.  I think I did read a Dark Horse adaption of it in the nineties, though.

I shall be interested to see how cheesy I think the book is upon reading it. I couldn't imagine anything being filmed in place of ESB as it is my favourite SW film. There are some Star wars novels I would have loved to see a film adaptation hit the big screen. 

ESB is my fav too, in fact, my favorite movie ever (My brother has my original copy). 

You know they are making Star Wars VII, right?   JJ Abrams is directing, due out next December.  It is speculated some of the material will be used from the books.  The original cast will reprise Han, Leia and Luke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_VII

Edited by Anna Begins

I too remember the fuss when it came out (I was in Primary School at the time).

I think I've still got an original copy of it kicking around somewhere, but I've never actually read it.  I think I did read a Dark Horse adaption of it in the nineties, though.

As I understand it Splinter of the Mind's Eye is so dire that it is regarded as the literary equivalent of the Star Wars Holiday Special (which I own lol) in the Star Wars universe.

I didn't realise Dark Horse had did an adaptation. I'll have to take a little wander through the Dark Horse website.

ESB is my fav too, in fact, my favorite movie ever (My brother has my original copy). 

You know they are making Star Wars VII, right?   JJ Abrams is directing, due out next December.  It is speculated some of the material will be used from the books.  The original cast will reprise Han, Leia and Luke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_VII

ESB nearly always tops the list of SW fans favourite movies. :D

Yes, as a huge Star Wars fan, and cinephile, Anna, I've been following the production of SW VII very closely. Actually, none of the current EU (Expanded Universe) post ROTJ will be used as source material for Ep VII or any subsequent movies post ROTJ. 

The new Lucasfilm (Mickey Mouse Club) released a statement regarding this very subject:

"In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s."

Lucasfilm and Del Rey are now collaborating on a 'unified canon' as the saga moves forward:

"Going forward, Lucasfilm has begun mapping out the narrative future of Star Wars storytelling that will appear on film and television and in other media so that all projects will benefit from real-time collaboration and alignment. The future Star Wars novels from Disney Publishing Worldwide and Del Rey Books will now be part of the official Star Wars canon as reflected on upcoming TV and movie screens."

Now the only books/novels etc from the current published list regarded as canon are the novelizations of Star Wars Episodes I-VI. :7_mad:

ESB nearly always tops the list of SW fans favourite movies. :D

Yes, as a huge Star Wars fan, and cinephile, Anna, I've been following the production of SW VII very closely. Actually, none of the current EU (Expanded Universe) post ROTJ will be used as source material for Ep VII or any subsequent movies post ROTJ. 

Now the only books/novels etc from the current published list regarded as canon are the novelizations of Star Wars Episodes I-VI. :7_mad:

Ya, but it is my favorite movie of all time lol

There have been so many plot leaks!  I dunno if its on purpose or not.  I guess I've been reading a lot of the comments posted on the articles :P Some seem to think they will use some of it, others think no way.  I've not read the novels :blush2: but I have seen all three (ya, I'm a purist) of the movies at least 100 times. 

I will totally see them though, they can't be worse than The Phantom Menace!

Ya, but it is my favorite movie of all time lol

There have been so many plot leaks!  I dunno if its on purpose or not.  I guess I've been reading a lot of the comments posted on the articles :P Some seem to think they will use some of it, others think no way.  I've not read the novels :blush2: but I have seen all three (ya, I'm a purist) of the movies at least 100 times. 

I will totally see them though, they can't be worse than The Phantom Menace!

ESB would be close to my all time fav. I love the theme of ESB.

Never read the novels?! :o Anna!

TPM, indeed, any of the prequels leave a lot to be desired. I'll also be seeing the new movies as they're released. Even if they are a train crash. I've been keeping up with all the mutterings via TFN (TheForce.Net).

I just hope with Lucasfilm and Del Rey's new 'unified canon' that the established essence of the characters will continue through the future novels.