Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Kell

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having loved the book, I was a little disappointed by the 1st part of Hogfather on Sky 1 last night. I thought it rather slow-moving yet fragmented & not much seemed to be happening. Then, in the preview of tonight's episode, they gave far too much away & it looks like they've tried to cram too much into that part.

That said I did actually enjoy watching it & I thought David Jason was excellent (despite not originally liking the idea of him being cast in the role) & the gril playing Susan is wonderful.

Here's hoping the 2nd half isn't too garbled as they try to finish the story!

I liked it but it was a lot darker than I expected and a lot of the humour has been lost in translation. I reckon they have captured Suasan perfectly but Ridcully is nut how I would imagine him and DEATH is a poor representation to me. Albert is just too nice and Nobby Nobbs not inhuman enough.

They have got the mood and atmosphere of the story spot on and Mister Teh-A-Timeh is superbly sinister creation. Part two looks promising and yeah for the appearance of the DEATH OF RATS!

I haven't reached The Hogfather yet (I'm reading them in order), so I cannot say how close it is to the book. But from reading about Nobby and DEATH in previous books, I have to say that I wasn't thrilled with how they've turned out in the show.

Like Kell I was slightly disappointed with the slow moving pace of the first part, and I agree that a lot of the humour was definately lost in translation. I was laughing but only because I just finished the book and know what they mean. Will be missing part 2 though as I have to work until 9 tonight :018:

I do think fans of the books will enjoy this more, because they understand alot of the background stuff, and the humour. It was nice to see it brought to life though.

Susan is great, and from the previews, the god of hangovers should be funny. I loved seeing the Death of Rats.

I, howver, found Tea Time really annoying. he said in the 'making of', that he'd been watching 'Charlie and the Choc Factory', and had modelled himself on Johnny Depp. Personally, I think he's simply tried to copy him, and it's annoying.

Looking forward to tonight's though. :018:

I was completely disappointed by the TV production. The script jumped all over the place & there was no pace at all - they could have worked on the timing a little & cut an hour out of it, making room for all the stuff they left out! Also thought that 90% of the humour was missing - where were all the clever puns & witty satire? The casting was mostly good, the sets & costumes were stunning, but I thought it was severely lacklustre over-all. :018:

If you've watched this but not read the book, please don't let it put you off - the book is far, far better, with a decent laugh on pretty much every other page & a belly-laugh every half-dozen or so, as well as some very astute observations on the human condition.

Shame - it had so much potential, but it was, to my mind, mostly frittered away...

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be funnier that it was.

It hasn't put me off reading it, though, as I know the book is going to be far better than the T.V. version.

But it was great to see Terry Pratchett at the end, even though he didn't have much to say or do.

I thought the second half was far better than the first but there was virtually no humour. It was all very serious and had a slightly preachy C.S Lewis feel to it. I think Susan was wonderful but the rest of the cast were ust a bit dull and I have never seen David Jason look so mediocre.

I think that any fan of the books would have very high expectations, so it's not surprising that there were disappointments.

Alot of the humour was missing, but it's not the sort of humour that's easy to transfer to the screen. Plus, as I may have said before, I think you need a deeper knowledge of some of the characters to really understand them.. which comes from earlier books.

I've only read the Death trilogy and Hogfather.. I had no real preconceptions of the wizards, for example, and so enjoyed them. I also know nothing about the guards, so they didn't bother me either way.

On the whole, I still enjoyed seeing it 'brought to life'.

Another great dialogue...

IT'S THE EXPRESSION ON THEIR LITTLE FACES I LIKE, said the Hogfather.

"You mean sort of fear and awe and not knowing whether to laugh or cry or wet their pants?"

YES. NOW THATS IS WHAT I CALL BELIEF.

Have I thanked you all for introducing me to this?

Well, thank you.

Incidentally, if anyone missed the TV production & still wants to see it, it's repeated on Xmas Day & Boxing day at 1pm on Sky 1 - so they are showing it at Xmas after all!

I've readd half of Hogfather today - I need to finish it quickly as (a) my copy from the library has been requested by someone else and (:018: I've been really lucky to be able to borrow a DVD recorded from Sky with the dramatisation on it from a colleague and she wants it back!

It's been years since I have read any "Adult" Pratchett (possibly 5+ years) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I've decided that a New Years Resolution must be to read at least 3 more Discworld books in 2007!

I was just reading a little information on the TV adaptation, & apparently 2.6 million viewers tuned in for the 1st half, but only 1.5 million came back for the 2nd half, which is a shame, because of the two parts, I thought the 2nd was marginally better.

Indicentally, if anyone missed it & still wants to see, it's repeated on SkyTWO tonight & tomorrow night, & then again on 30th & 31st December on the same channel.

--------------------------

One of my favourite parts in the book involves some of my least-favourite characters - I've never been a huge fan of the Wizards, but the scene in the Unseen University, where the Wizards lie in wait for the Hogfather in the library is so funny. The whole concept of whether the Librarian would already have been visited because he's an ape (either because he visits primates 1st in accordance with Ponder Stibbons' theories of evolution, or because apes start with A & humans start with H & it's all done alphabetically) always has me in stitches.

One of my favourite parts in the book involves some of my least-favourite characters - I've never been a huge fan of the Wizards, but the scene in the Unseen University, where the Wizards lie in wait for the Hogfather in the library is so funny. The whole concept of whether the Librarian would already have been visited because he's an ape (either because he visits primates 1st in accordance with Ponder Stibbons' theories of evolution, or because apes start with A & humans start with H & it's all done alphabetically) always has me in stitches.

I read that bit earlier this evening, and I laughed too!

My other favourite bit so far is the bit about criminalism near the start - moving things around, "from A to B or, of course, to the Bottom of the C".