Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Kell

I now declare this reading circle thread OPEN!

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

It's the night before Hogswatch. And it's too quiet. There's snow, there're robins, there're trees covered with decorations, but there's a notable lack of the big fat man who delivers the toys...He's gone. Susan the governess has got to find him before morning, otherwise the sun won't rise. And unfortunately her only helpers are a raven with an eyeball fixation, the Death of Rats and an oh god of hangovers. Worse still, someone is coming down the chimney. This time he's carrying a sack instead of a scythe, but there's something regrettably familiar...Ho, Ho, Ho, - it's true what they say. 'You'd better watch out...'

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a two-parter on Sky 1:

Sunday 17th December & Monday 18th December @ 8pm.

Am now a little disappointed, because it was originally supposed to be on Xmas Day!

They could have done it over Xmas Eve/Xmas Day - that would have been perfect! Waaahhh!

Still, I'm looking forward to it, despite the fact that i've heard they've changed quite a bit of the plot (why? why? why?????)

I love how Pratchett's Discworld characters all have a basis in "Round World" history. In the case of the Hogfather, he's obviously done a lot of research into old Pagan beliefs & practices - the same basis from which we ended up with Santa Claus, just leaving it a step or two behind where we're currently at. Pratchett does this with many of his main characters - i think it's part of why his books appeal to so many people - there's a realism there that gets under our skin. :blush:

I love how Pratchett's Discworld characters all have a basis in "Round World" history. In the case of the Hogfather, he's obviously done a lot of research into old Pagan beliefs & practices - the same basis from which we ended up with Santa Claus, just leaving it a step or two behind where we're currently at. Pratchett does this with many of his main characters - i think it's part of why his books appeal to so many people - there's a realism there that gets under our skin. :blush:

Aye I think that is what a lot of people who do not read Pratchett fail to understand. Yes IT IS a world with witches and stuff but it very closely parodies our own and the witches and werewolves suffer the same problems we do. Susan having an embarassing Grandfather for example (Who just so happens to be DEATH.

I also love Susan's no-nonesense approach to things. For example, her employer asks how one should address the third cousin of a Queen, she replies, "We call him Jamie" (if I remember correctly!). Also, how she handles the kids smacks of how my Grandad used to be - I was never told there were no such things as monsters & ghosts - mostly because there are such things! And The Poker was something my Gramps would threaten to use on any bogeyman who tried to scare his granddaughters! The first time I read that whole section, I almost creased myself laughing - especially the "Susan picked a Bogey by it's nose!" :blush:

She's like most people - someone trying to live a normal life under extraordinary circumstrances. i think we can all relate to that in some way.

I have a strange sense of humour, so some of the things I love are the random discussions.. like the one about whether a banana is actually a fish. (I also love Eddie Izzard's random style.)

This book is actually growing on me.. there are some really clever ideas etc :blush:

The Hogfather is a very enjoyable and witty book. I have not read any Terry Pratchett books before so the whole Discworld and all the characters are new to me.

It is a great book to read at this time of the year. I loved the scene in the toyshop. I will try to watch The Hogfather when it is on TV over the Christmas period. I do think I may have enjoyed it more if I had read some of the previous books- just to get a feel for some of the characters. However the book is so full of humour that you can

I also love Susan's no-nonesense approach to things. For example, her employer asks how one should address the third cousin of a Queen, she replies, "We call him Jamie" (if I remember correctly!). Also, how she handles the kids smacks of how my Grandad used to be - I was never told there were no such things as monsters & ghosts - mostly because there are such things! And The Poker was something my Gramps would threaten to use on any bogeyman who tried to scare his granddaughters! The first time I read that whole section, I almost creased myself laughing - especially the "Susan picked a Bogey by it's nose!" :blush:

She's like most people - someone trying to live a normal life under extraordinary circumstrances. i think we can all relate to that in some way.

I'm only about a 10th of the way through but Susan's a wonderful creation. In dealing with Twyla, one of her little charges, "What have I told you about trying to sound ingratiatingly cute..." as part of her no-nonsense approach.

Thanks for getting me away from mysteries for a while. Are there even any spoilers in this? It seems as if the narrative, and as you said earlier, the basis in Round World, is the message and it's fantastic.

Also phrases like "the members of the Guild of Assassins...knew the value of human life. To a penny, in many cases."

I've just passed the descriptions of the underworld thugs and how Teatime negotiates. I'll never pronounce tea time the same again...not that I use that expression very often.

I'll never pronounce tea time the same again...not that I use that expression very often.
i used to work in an office full of Pratchett fans & come 10:30am & 3:00pm every day, someone would announce very loudly, "Stop working everyone - it's Te-ah-ti-meh!" & we'd all have a cuppa - LOL!

Kel, what a wonderful office!

The name "Ankh-Morpork" sounds as if it has a history to it and I may be missing something obvious or already mentioned. The only thing I could come up with is an exclamation involving hogs.

I'd like to see the show and I noticed on the cast at IMDb that Terry Pratchett has a part.

And "Ho, Ho, Ho, Cower Brief Mortals" is a great way to deliver gifts. What a likeable character - so far.

I'd like to see the show and I noticed on the cast at IMDb that Terry Pratchett has a part.

Yes, he's playing the Toy Maker (although, he does only make a brief appearance).

Watched a "Making Of" programme on The Hogfather tonight. Looks as though this could be quite good. They've taken a long time making the sets, so hopefully it will look like it's from the Disc.

I finished 'Hogfather' last night and having being away from Terry Pratchett for some time, I have to say I absolutely loved 'Hogfather', the story was brilliant and very apt of course for this time of year. Death and Albert are such a great comedy duo don't you think? Susan trying to find her place in the grand scale of things. It was a great read, a brilliant choice for the book of the month.

Well, I just read a tad more last night because what an exhausting week but am now 50% of the way through the book and the month.

I like Death too. Good to know that Death and Albert are certainties til the end - like death and taxes.

And Lilywhite! You're the mom of two of Teatime's ragtag band! The brainless one that has taken to following Teatime around like a puppy and his brother who was exceedingly mean til Teatime showed up on the scene and now, by comparison, just a member of the team. Though I believe someone says if she were still around she'd be a match for Teatime.

I've set the book down where I can't find it for the moment but as soon as I clean some clutter, I'll be back and I'll block the sad fact that can't watch this on Sunday. I'll bet Pratchett was in the "Making of The Hogfather".

I confess that I've never tried a Terry Pratchett book before, so I thought that I would give this a go. It sounds good - I was listening to Pratchett discussing it with Jonathon Ross on the radio yesterday - it sounded good, although fantasy doesn't usually rock my rock!