Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres

hoopeybird

:blush: Has anyone read Captain Corelli?

I have a copy and have thought about reading it several times but havent got round to it as i have so many other books on my TBR pile.

Something about the book just lately makes me want to read it but I just wondered what reviews it has had and whether it is a good read.I saw the film so I think that is what has been putting me off reading it.I think when you have seen a film of a book it spoils the book really.

Does anyone else agree?

I would really appreciate some views

I have this on my TBR mountain. I've never seen the movie (nor do I intend to as I can't stand penelope flippin' Cruz) & I never had any interest in the book at all, but a couple of months ago, I was on RISI & saw it listed & suddenly thought "What the hell? I'll give it a try."

I've not looked at it since it arrived as I've had many more books which I've preferred the look of, but I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point.

I really enjoyed the first 80% of it. I didn't find it at all difficult to read. The end of it was, for me, remarkably unsatisfying, but other people I know completely disagree with me and love it all.

Read it, though, it's well worth your time.

I've never seen the movie, though. Nor do I intend to. But Kell, don't let Penelope Cruz's presence put you off seeing Volver.

I actually have the book but I have still to read it. I did however, see the movie and I did not enjoy it, Christian Bale is usually really good in most movies, but he was very over the top in Captain Corelli's...

:blush:

I really enjoyed the first 80% of it. I didn't find it at all difficult to read. The end of it was, for me, remarkably unsatisfying, but other people I know completely disagree with me and love it all.

Read it, though, it's well worth your time.

I've never seen the movie, though. Nor do I intend to. But Kell, don't let Penelope Cruz's presence put you off seeing Volver.

You would probably like the film as they completely changed the ending! Despite that, it is a good film and Pen Cruz did suit her character (whose name escapes me) very well.

I loved the book - it is slow to start (took me about 100 pages to get into it) but once you get going it's wonderful. One of my favourites.

I read it on a Greek Island though - so that might have helped a bit.....

• 2 months later...

This thread is bit old, so you might have decided whether or not to read it at all by now, hoopeybird, but as I've read the book and seen the film, I thought I'd add my thoughts.

I remember enjoying the book, in spite of some parts and aspects that I didn't like. On the whole worthwile reading though. It's years ago since I read it, so I can't make any detailed comments I'm afraid. I remember talking to a lot of people that read and liked it at the time, so I think you should definitely have a go at it and not be put off by the film.

About a year later I watched the film and even though it wasn't bad, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the book. Partly because of the much changed ending but also because didn't sympathise with the characters as much as in the book. Maybe it was because even though they are good actors there is something about both Pen Cruz and Nicolas Cage that I don't like. I loved the beautiful scenery though.

• 5 years later...

Has anyone read Captain's Corelli Mandolin? I found it on BBC's big read so I bought it expecting quite a lot as I went to Kefalonia and know the places/scenes from the book but so far I am really bored. Sometimes I skip the paragraphs and I'm falling asleep everytime I read it. Hope I'm not the only one in this world..........

Edited by Michelle
Merged with existing thread