The First Crime Novel You Read?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also loved Enid Blyton's mystery work! My particular favourite was the Five Findouters (and Dog) series!

But my love of crime was brought back with James Patterson and Ian Rankin (Rebus novels)

Edited by Christie

Probably 'Belledonne Kamer 16' by Anke de Vries. It's about a teenager who finds a diary of someone who lived during the Second World War. There is very few info in that diary, just a few names and the name of a village. He finds the hotel mentioned in the diary and then the story begins unraveling about what happened there decades ago. He was hoping to find the owner of that diary alive. It turns out he was apparently killed by Nazi's, but there is more to this crime. Very exciting book which I never forgot and recently reread.

Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson are my ultimate Crime/Thriller writers, I love all their books. I havent yet found a book by them that I don't enjoy reading. I would highly recommend to everyone! My favourite one from Patricia Cornwell must be The Body Farm, amazing read!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was such an awfully long time ago, I really can't remember. :rolleyes: It was probably an Agatha Christie book and more than likely a Poirot as I didn't read Miss Marple until I was in my teens. I haven't read an Agatha Christie for years now but I picked up one in a charity shop recently (can't remember which) and I might read it around Christmas.

• 2 months later...

I started about 8 years ago I think, I was looking in the localcharity shop (I was only 13 and my pocket money wouldnt pay for my addiction to books) when I came across the sherlock holmes loved him, I went off crime storys for a while but a couple of weeks ago I was lent a book called the massiah, I carnt think of the auther of the top of my head but it was so gripping that I read it within the day, I have just read peter james - dead like you, fab. I'm now totally ADDICTED once again and with the choice and finally a bigger budget for books I'm certainly not stopping, so any suggestions on a decent read ill happily take :D:readingtwo:

I hardly ever read crime novels. Maybe it's a genre I should branch into.

I attempted to read Hound of the Baskervilles when I was a lot younger. I didn't get through since I didn't appreciate anything that was happening. It was a lot of big words and adults talking about things I didn't understand.

I think the only other crime novel I've read is Past Mortem by Ben Elton. Not the best example of a crime novel, I'm sure, but it was fairly enjoyable, if very disturbing in places.

• 1 year later...

I don't read much crime fiction, and if I do, it tends to be the more quirky side of the genre, rather than the mainstream, but I guess the first crime novel I read would have been one of the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton - do they count? :lol:

I can't remember for certain, but I think it was Elizabeth George. I'd been watching crime shows on TV for a while, but avoiding the books. Then one day I decided if I liked the programs, I'd probably like the books. I know it was an Elizabeth George novel that got me hooked. I wish my library had more of hers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Genesis by Karin Slaughter was my first crime novel. Loved it, now I have all of her books, just waiting for Criminal to be released in paperback. :smile:

Hehe, what a great introduction to crime novels! :) She's one of my favorite crime authors.

My first crime novel must've been Astrid Lindgren's Bill Bergson book, one of the three. Or maybe a Nancy Drew novel, or one of Enid Blyton's.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't start reading crime fiction until I was in University. The first crime novel I read was Mo Hayder's 'Birdman' it's pretty gruesome but I loved the way she bulit suspense throughout the novel. Another favourite of mine is Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem, it's a really good twist on the 'Jack The Ripper' style stories set in Victorian London - the perfect place for a crime thriller.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With it being so long ago and having read some of the other posts. I did read some Famous Five when I was a kid, but my first proper novel would have been Sherlock Holmes.