Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

It's so sad Athena.. really terrible!

This morning my Lily was operated because of pyometra, an infection in the uterus. The operation went quite well, now we have to wait for the post-operation phase. I stayed there with her all the time, but she has to be there until tomorrow morning because of flebo and antibiotics.

I'll let you know.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lily feels a little better today. She ran put this morning and she went here and there in the garden. But she's weak because everytime she eats something she still throws up. We're doing another flebo this morning, so we'll see how things go. Thank you Chalie!!

My dictionary gives me flebo as the translation of that liquid in a sort of bottle that pass through a needle and goes in your veins. An intravenous something.. Now I don't know how to say it. I'm sorry my dictionary made me seem much more stupid than I am. :banghead:

Sorry for my english.

Thank you Chalie. Lily is feeling a little better, she's sleeping now and she's not shivering. When you call her she looks at you and she moves her tail slightly, which is far beyond my expectations 2 days after an operation like that. And she hasn't thrown up since yesterday evening.. my vet is really happy about that. We have to do antibiotics for some more days and keep our fingers crossed because pyometra is awful.

I'm still looking for the correct word to let you know what I was meaning in my last post, let me know - please - if you can understand me this time. Can it be intravenous drip?

Yes an intravenous drip would be correct, they can contain different solutions, plain saline to rehydrate or antibiotic or any other sort of drug that needs to be pumped into the body..

I'm so glad she continues to improve, do keep us posted. :)

You have no need to apologise for your english, I don't think I know any Italian though one of my best friends is half Italian and we have stopped there a few times.. Do they do medical english/Italian dictionaries? ;):)

So sorry to hear about the chickens, Athena!! Just horrible.

I suspect that Neo has a case of foreskin inflammation. He's had yellowish discharge coming from his penis/foreskin. I hear this is quite common with male dogs, especially younger dogs. The dog is supposed to take care of it himself by cleaning the area which Neo is doing. But it has been a few weeks now so I think we should clean it with saline.

Also hear the problem usually goes away if the dog gets neutered, which we have planned for Neo anyway.

You should have seen his face today when I grabbed hold of him and wiped his foreskin clean! We was like: "WHAT are you doing?!" But then was curious to smell the paper.

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't checked in for so long, but now that I'm here I thought I should update everyone about my dog and her surgery.  I can't remember at the moment how to find my personal thread and don't recall if I've already told folks or not, so my apologies if I'm repeating myself here. :D

To recap past events, our 12 year old black lab, Keiko, had several largish but benign lumps removed from both haunches in January.  Given her age and general health issues (ears and skin, typical lab stuff), she did remarkably well.  Though I admit I'm not sure either we or the dog could go through another major surgery again.  This was her 4th and one of them was for cancer. 

It was a looonnnggg recovery time, or at least it seemed that way to me.  Did I mention she's a good actress who knows how to pull all of Mommy's strings? :giggle2:  I think for her the most traumatic part was having to wear the cone for a good six weeks while the fur grew back.  Tried taking it off earlier but every time I did, she was way too interested in the new zippers she was sporting! :D

The other furries - cats - are both doing well.  Our eldest recently celebrated her 19th, yes I said 19th, birthday!!!!  She's had kidney disease for several years now, but with the right vet food, she's doing fine.  Scrawny, but well.  :sign0072:

Aries, our 12 year old fat boy, is his usual bratty self.  Spends his time stuffing his face and tormenting the other two. :giggle2:

Okay, I'm off to see what's new.  And see if I can find my thread.  Cheers!

Again, thank you!  I think Keiko is the most pleased.  She really does not like having her own personal radar dish attached!  Good reception though.... :giggle2:

And Athena, I'm sorry to hear about your babies.  Doesn't matter is it's a dog, cat, bird or fish.  We love them all and it bloody hurts to lose them!  Hope your puppy's paw feels better soon.  Poor thing! :friends3:  :flowers2:

Eleanora, I'm sorry I didn't see your news when I was here earlier.  But I'm ssooo sorry to hear such sad news.  I hope Lily is much better very soon.  Hugs for you! :empathy:  :flowers2:  :friends3:

Emelee, sorry to hear Neo is having such a rough (pardon the pun) time.  I can see why he isn't too pleased about your, um, cleaning the area!  About the nails, we had the same issue with our last lab for years.  Until that is, one day we took her in but just handed the leash to the tech without even thinking about it.  Then we looked at each other horrified that any moment we would hear screams of protest.  Nooo, not quite.  She was back in five, nicely clipped and didn't make a sound.  Turns out the drama was for our benefit and thereafter we never went in with her again. nor did she ever have a temper fit about it again.  No matter who we took her too, just so long as we weren't there to put a show on for, she was fine. I'm wondering it maybe it could be the same with Neo?  Have you tried having his nails done somewhere without you present?

I thought I'd share some pictures of my dog (Oscar) as I mentioned his new haircut earlier! (I hope this works, it's been so long since I uploaded a photo here, I've kind of forgotten how to do it!)

9118650748_f66483ec91.jpg
Oscar by HayleyFly, on Flickr

9116429417_70ba986ddc.jpg
Yoda Oscar by HayleyFly, on Flickr

This (if it works) is before and after! He looks a bit grumpy and dishevelled in the second one because he just woke up  :giggle2:

Oh my goodness - it's definitely an advantage that he isn't green! :giggle:

The tilt of the head in the first shot really makes him a cutey. :D  

Haha! :giggle2: Definitely! I think he looks cuter fluffy generally, but he'll be cooler for the summer now at least (if summer ever decides to get here properly!)

Oscar is gorgeous Hayley and I can see the Yoda in him, I hope he is as wise... I have a soft spot for Scotties, I used to walk a lovely little girl called Cookie. :) :)

Thank you :smile:  I'm not so sure about being wise... but he is only about one and a half, so maybe his wisdom will improve with age  :D.

Cookie is such a cute name for a dog! Oscar's actually half Westie too, you can kind of see in the second picture he has white stripes going through his fur. You can't usually see them so much when he has long hair, it's made him look a bit like a zebra... crossed with Yoda... I still think he's cute though :giggle:

Definitely see the Yoda thing...even the wee tufty beardy bit..Yoda had that too didn't he.

Edited by Inver

Wordsgood, that is actually a good idea to take Neo to someone else to get his nails done. When we've been with him to the vet for baby tooth removal, earinfection and eyeinfection, he let the vet do all kinds of things to him without protesting too much. Certainly worth a try!

And Athena, I'm sorry to hear about your babies.  Doesn't matter is it's a dog, cat, bird or fish.  We love them all and it bloody hurts to lose them!  Hope your puppy's paw feels better soon.  Poor thing! :friends3:  :flowers2:

x

Thank you :hug:!

@ Hayley

Awww, he is so cute!

Hayley, Oscar is adorable!  I had a Westie growing up, except he was snow white.  Well, when he hadn't found something to roll in that it is!  Thanks for sharing his pics. :D

Emelee, I would definitely recommend you go ahead and try it.  I've learned the hard way that much of the drama pets act out when we are tending to the less than fun stuff in their lives is mostly for our benefit.  Have a professional - away from their home turf - take care of it and ensure your are not present during whatever procedure, and it is usually goes much easier and faster.  Plus I always have a post procedure treat waiting so they learn quickly that the faster is done, the faster you get the goodies! :giggle2:

Crystal

We don't have any pets at the moment. I used to have dogs, rabbits, guiniepigs and fish when I was a kid, and my sister also had mice and hamsters at various points. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to feathers, fur and cat and dog saliva, which kind of puts paid to me having many regular pets!

I adore reptiles and would love to keep an iguana, lizard or snake, but we don't have the room for an iguana and I can't stand the thought of feeding crickets and mealworms to a lizard, or mice to a snake.

We're planning on getting a couple of fish in a small tank for Xan's birthday as he loves watching fish and I think he'll enjoy feeding them and watching them swim about when he has some of his very own. :smile:

There is a group of snakes called Garter snakes (Thamnophis species) which thrive off a diet primarily of fish and worms, mice should only ever be given as an occasional thing and aren't necessary so you wouldn't have to feed them if you didn't want to. They're great snakes and the most commonly available in the UK is Thamnophis marcianus - Checkered garter snake which is a hardy snake ideal for beginners. Here's a picture from google: 

lip0ix-lip0et0327checkeredgarterweb.jpg

A great website for finding out more about them is thamnophis.com which has a very useful forums. I think you'd love it :P

Edited by NickB

Great to have a thread that talks about pets.  We have two dogs, Geordie, an Australian terrier and Charlie, a Schnauzer/Poodle mix.  Today Charlie was in at the vet for some dentistry.  He had seven teeth removed (I hope he has enough teeth left to chew with) and it cost $734.00 - $100.00 per tooth.  When the vet told us how much it was going to cost we could hardly believe it but anything to do with pets these days seems to be expensive. We thought he might be groggy when he came home but he seemed just fine.  I hated the idea of him having surgery, now that our children are all grown up and away from home the dogs have become our children and we fuss and worry about them just as much.  We're Mum and Dad all over again.  :blush2: