Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

I'm hoping for the best for Honey.

Mabel seems to be doing better on the new food and different amount/type of meds. It's been two days now without her throwing up. We do have to feed and medicate her 4 times a day. Luckily my work allows for that. I think that her walking so slow and such is do to pain in her back. I've been keeping an eagle eye on her. She stole a shoe from the hall and was proudly prancing around with it to show how well she can find objects...so her fun spirit is starting to shine through. Luckily. I miss my frolic dog. She has such a sence of humor.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is he on steroids BB?  They make them soooo hungry!  If not maybe it's boredom.. Maybe you could hide treats and make a game of it, stuff a kong, or use a treat ball if you have one? Poor Reuben, he won't understand why he can't have a good run. :)

He's not on steroids; he seems to have settled down, hungerwise. I mean he still begs regularly (he's a lab after all :giggle2: ), but he's not frantically hungry like he was after he was ill. He had his stitches out on Wednesday, and we took him straight out for a run through the woods. He got bullied by another dog, but lucky it was muzzled, so no harm done, though he was a bit nervous around other dogs he met later on. :banghead:  He's been for a run on the beach today, and this evening he had another run in the woods. He's zonked out on the floor now, bless him. Oh, and he's still trying to hump the odd pillow, so I guess the neutering doesn't have any effect on that. :giggle2:

All the best for Honey and Mabel. All my digits are crossed for them both.  :smile:  Re: Mabel, you may need to find the right kind of food to settle her stomach - trial and error.

Oh, I hope everyone is doing better. 

It hurts so much when we can't keep them up as we'd wish.

My almost 20 y.o.(cat)  is just as ornery as ever...her name is Tuffy and it fits!  We got her when our chiropractor found her at about 3 weeks old...crawling around in the parking lot outside of his office.  Her tail underneath was burned, and her paw pads were the same.  She couldn't even urinate on her own, that is how young she was.  But her mouth worked just fine, believe me!  lol

She survived all of that and bossed around all the cats. :)

I keep her separate now as she thinks she is still strong enough to take on the others.  And she isn't.  /sigh/  She has the "media" room to herself.  The exercise equipment and tv for the videos is in there.  So she has plenty of snuggle time with us. 

I've tried to let her out to run the house, but she immediately goes up the 17 steps, and she just can't take it anymore.  Wears her out too much.

What a lovely brat. :D

Edited by pontalba

I am very very sad to report that my lovely old girl, Honey, was put to sleep this morning, aged 15 years and nearly 4 months.  Her condition had deteriorated and whilst with the medication at times she had some perky happier moments, generally she was more disorientated and the vertigo was making her feel quite poorly, and she had also lost almost all interest in food and water. :(  She was a fantastic girl and her name could not have been more apt for such a sweet dog and she will be missed enormously.  She was a part of everything with us, Steve and I had only been together a year when we got her and only 10 months until the first of our three children came along, and she was always beautifully gentle with them, never a grumble.. she also welcomed Dylan and Obi into the pack and a few cats along the way, all with good humour and good nature.

4q1pqd.jpg

Night night Hun/Honey Monster/Honey Buns/Bunches/Princess/Wiggle Butt, we'll miss you x x x 

Charliepud, I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Honey. Believe me, I know how hard it is to make such a decision. 14 years old for a pooch is a wonderful old age. Most of my shepherds only reached 12. Mabel is 10 and I hope she gets to be with us a few more years. My thoughts are with you. The picture shows her as a beautiful dog.

Oh Chalie,

I'm so very sorry to hear your beautiful girl has gone. 

All we can do is do our best, and you did just that.  Hold onto that. 

She was a loving, well loved and beautiful baby. She knew she was loved.

:friends0:

My heart breaks for you, Chalie and Eleonora. I know what it's like to lose your best friend. It doesn't matter if they were old and ill, it is heartbreaking and one of the most difficult things in life. Hugs all around. 

That is everyone, she was gorgeous, in looks and in personality, she never had a bad word to say to anyone. Dylan is definitely missing her prescience - she was always the vocal one - so he is getting extra cuddles and I know he'll adapt quickly, like all boys as long as he is walked and fed little else matters.

Honey was cremated yesterday so I will probably get her ashes on Sunday, along with a little paw print they have taken for me. When Steve is next home we plan to scatter some of the ashes at the top of a local hill and buy a nice tin to keep the rest in. I didn't want an urn as they are so depressing and I only want happy memories. :)

That's a nice idea Chalie. Regarding urn  / tins etc., we keep ours in a beautiful hand made wooden box, on top of which sits his favourite toy. When I look at the box and toy all I can do is smile. :smile:

That is everyone, she was gorgeous, in looks and in personality, she never had a bad word to say to anyone. Dylan is definitely missing her prescience - she was always the vocal one - so he is getting extra cuddles and I know he'll adapt quickly, like all boys as long as he is walked and fed little else matters.

Honey was cremated yesterday so I will probably get her ashes on Sunday, along with a little paw print they have taken for me. When Steve is next home we plan to scatter some of the ashes at the top of a local hill and buy a nice tin to keep the rest in. I didn't want an urn as they are so depressing and I only want happy memories. :)

That is a beautiful idea. Love the paw print idea. I've been thinking of getting a paw print from Neo and get it tattooed on my back or shoulder. 

That's a nice idea Chalie. Regarding urn  / tins etc., we keep ours in a beautiful hand made wooden box, on top of which sits his favourite toy. When I look at the box and toy all I can do is smile. :smile:

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking of Chrissy. 

I love the idea of the carved box and toy. Also the small tin. They are part of our families and need to be honored as such in my opinion.

Mabel is doing better. I think the combo of the special Kidney food and the anti-acid tablets are working. The food is expensive and can only be gotten at the vets. If it works I don't mind the cost so much. I heard from someone that their dog had the same and they gave it beer yeast tablets. I am willing to try this to replace the pills from the vets. I would rather do something with a natural working. anyone ever heard of this treatment for dogs with stomach probs and throwing up?

It's not something I've heard of MM but there are lots if dig forums online, including health ones so may be worth having a google.. I know some owners give their dogs probiotic yogurts to settle stomachs which couldn't hurt (as long as there is no allergy obviously).

I have to go to my vets tomorrow to collect Honeys ashes and paw print, just hope I can get in and out without embarrassing myself too much.. Have been ok last couple of days but feeling low this evening, Dylan is struggling a little without his old friend and is quite clingy (but that's ok, so am I!). Bless him, he will be 15 in August, I hope he stays with me a while yet as couldn't bear to lose them too close together.. Have been online and ordered more supplements to try and ease his arthritis a little more. This is what happens if you get dogs too close in age, it seemed a good idea at the time.

I'm so sorry to hear about Honey; it sounds like you did the right thing and that she had a great life. :console:

They really aren't with us long enough, are they? Lovely photo of a lovely doggy, and I like the idea of the paw print as well. :smile:

Thanks BB, she was a lovely lovely girl, her name was so apt for her.  I am missing her loads but am remembering her with a smile and am able to talk freely about her without blubbering which is great.  It does make it easier knowing she had a very long full healthy life, we couldn't have done any more than we did for her.

I brought her ashes home on Thursday, when Steve is home in a few weeks we plan to scatter some at the top of our favourite hill.  I am also researching plants so I can find an appropriate 'memory' plant to put in a pot with some of her ashes to keep forever.. :)

A memory plant is a lovely idea. We've two of those in our garden where are beloved cats are buried. We put a large flat stone on top of them before putting the dirt and plant on top so that if we need to dig again we will know where they are. I'd hate to disturb them again. The garden is too small to do the same with our dog though, so we shall have to follow in your steps Charlie. So to speak.

Mabel is doing better and getting her quirky sense of humor back. She is even walking a bit longer with a bit more spunk to her step. So, we are hopeful this is going the good path.

Left my parents' house - and Neo - today. So darn hard every time. The first day is always the worst. It doesn't help when mom tells me that Neo slept by the front door for an hour, hoping I'd come back. But it's good to know that he loves me just as much as I love him. <3 But fortunately, I can go back next week - and hug and kiss him until he gets sick of me. ;)

BB - That's a brilliant video, Obi is very jealous of the lovely free running stream Reuben has to jump about in, we only have the large ponds nearlby and they can get very smelly! :D

Emelee - I'm sorry you've had to leave Neo behind again, but at least you can see him again in a few days, have yu got any recent pics of him for us to drool over?

I've just been to the Vets to get some wormers for the boys and the cat, £64!!!  But well worth it as I've just heard of a local dog that is seriously ill with lungworm. :(