Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

I can't think he would have swallowed something, as we keep a pretty good eye on him when he's out and about. He's not much for chewing and swallowing things, but prefers to carry things in his mouth. The only thing I can think is that he has hurt a tooth on his deer antler that he loves to chew, but I'm only guessing. He's going toilet ok, so I'm hoping there's nothing blocked. His belly isn't swollen either. We just had a roast dinner, and he was begging for some pork, and happily ate it when we gave some to him, but now he's just lying down and dozing. It's very unusual behavior for him in the evenings as that's when his energy peaks. I'm so worried about him; I hope the vet can diagnose what is wrong and maybe give him antibiotics, or do an x-ray. :unsure: It's the first time he's been ill - he's usually such a happy, playful pup. :cry:

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We took Reuben in to see the vet this morning, and they think he has some kind of doggy bug. His glands under his face were swollen and he had an inflamed throat. He also had a temperature of 106F, which is very high. He got a dose of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, and we have to bring him back tomorrow to check if his temperature has dropped. If so, then he will probably just need another course of antibiotics. He certainly wasn't lethargic at the vets - he kept licking her face whenever she knelt in front of him to look at him. :giggle: Hopefully he will be better tomorrow.

Edited by bobblybear

Oh bless him, I'll give Obi's bentley a good rub for luck for Reuben. :)  Did the Vet recommend sponging him down with cool water, especially his feet?  I remember having to do this with Dylan as a youngster when he developed a temp after being vaccinated, worked a treat! :)

Thanks chaliepud. :D  He's a bit better this morning. His temperature is down now to 103F (just noticed in my post above I put 106C, I meant 106F!), so the vet said she was a lot happier with that. He's on a longer dose antibiotic and is going back in 2 days time to check that his temperature is back to normal levels. If it is, then he will be put on a course of antibiotics to clear it out of his system.

He's eating a bit better, but only fancy foods! :giggle:  He won't touch his kibble, but if he sees us eating something a bit nicer, then he is begging for it!! Cheeky fellow. It sounds like he's on the mend; I can't tell you how relieved we are. :thud:

A little bit ago my dad and stepmom let me know our family cat, Shadow, died this morning. He was almost 18 years old. My dad found him when he was only a few weeks old huddling underneath his car's engine for warmth in the winter. He brought him home and Shadow never forgot it. Even when dad tried to rehome him a few years ago Shadow 'escaped' and found his way back home. Dad figured a cat who wanted to be with us that bad was worth keeping around. Shadow even learned to go to the bathroom outside like a dog (I think because he knew dad hated the litter box smell in the house.)

Dad told me they found him in the yard this morning with our German shepherd, K.D., guarding his body. She was protecting him and wouldn't let anyone near him, not even the other dogs. Shadow was always 'her kitty'. 

I'm really going to miss him. 

4741_1170176372200_6865477_n-1_zps090818

I'm sorry to hear about Shadow. I lost a cat about 4 years back from cancer. But it wasn't one of those times when you just wake up and they're gone. She physically wouldn't move from where she ran to when we let her indoors from the rain and she was having fits in front of our other two cats who were meowing around her. Don't think they understood. We took her to the vets and they put her down. I think it's hard to lose pets, but I find it really cute how your dog was guarding her. It's quite moving.

Was it just old age?

I don't think I've posted photos of my pets in awhile, so I thought I would amend that.

Here is Emma, my mom's Beagle.  She's almost 5 and guarding our front walk, obviously ;)

post-8818-0-97963700-1362603843_thumb.jpg

Here is Sascha, my 7 year old grey Tabby.  She loves her nap time!

post-8818-0-20855600-1362603878_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took my Reuben to the vet again today to get his boosters. He was so happy, his tail didn't stop wagging the whole time he was there. Actually, it was wagging so much his whole body was wiggling. :giggle:

I think he's feeling a bit ill from his shot, as he's all tired and lying on the sofa with his head on his paws. Doesn't stop his tail from wagging when I gave him a kiss though. :D

Photos of my two Siberian Huskies.  They have a bed in the studio where they like to sleep if I am working, or else they are quite happy to curl up at my feet when I am reading ?  Perfect companions.

My girl Micah

attachicon.gifbook forum 1.jpg

My boy Ozzy

attachicon.gifBook forum 2.jpg

They love to cool down in their pool on a hot day

attachicon.gifBook forum 3.jpg

I was sure I'd commented on these pics but it turns out I hadn't! :(

What great pictures, they are really, really cute! I love Huskies :smile2:

Abby: I'm so sorry about your loss :empathy: :empathy:  Shadow had a great life with you guys, so thank you for that! :friends3: Awww wasn't K.D. amazing, guarding over Shadow like that. They were true friends, and that's what it's all about :wub:

Bobbly: I'm sooo happy Reuben is doing better! I can't imagine how scared you must've been! Give him a great big cuddle from me, please :wub:

Peace: Awww Emma's too cute! :smile2: And so's Sascha :yes: 

• 3 weeks later...

We're dropping him off in about half an hour. I have a knot in my belly from nerves. They'll keep him for the day to monitor him afterwards I guess, so we won't have him back till tonight. It's the first time he's been away from us for a day, so I'm worried he'll be distressed; I'm worried about the anaesthesia as well. I'll be glad when it's all over. :hide: