Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

I grew up with a dog, but back then we didn't have a video camera or a cellphones. Don't have any moving footage of him. And that's why I make sure to videotape Neo. Must take some time to put them up on YouTube, in case my computer were to crash. 

I must say golden retrievers are wonderful dogs emelee.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, I see it now, Neo is gorgeous Emelee, I love to see a happy waggy tail!! :)

His tail is always up. His tail muscles must be so strong from all exercise! LOL.

He's very cute! I had to laugh when he started to bite his black cushion.

He used to do that a lot. Like it was a bed at night, and a toy by day. I am amazed how well it withstanded all abuse! LOL

Neo's adorable. :D They grow far too quick, don't they? He looks like he loves to chew - have you tried giving him Stag Bars (not sure if they are available in Sweden)? Reuben is a real chewer, and he loves his! It's his favourite 'toy' - that and his Kong.

Chalie, they're not cheap - an extra large one is £10.99 (and you usually have to rustle around until you find the best sized one) from Pets At Home. But they keep Reuben occupied, and a good sized one can last him 3 weeks (which doesn't sound long but for him it's a record :giggle2: ). A co-worker got one for her dog (retriever-spaniel-other cross) and he's had the same one for months! The best ones I think are the ones with 3 prongs to chew on, as it makes them more interesting. You can get sections of antler with the bit that joined to the stags head, but Reuben never manages to wear down that bit. If you do get one I'd love to hear how Obi gets on with them. I think they're brilliant! :smile:

Neo's adorable. :D They grow far too quick, don't they? He looks like he loves to chew - have you tried giving him Stag Bars (not sure if they are available in Sweden)? Reuben is a real chewer, and he loves his! It's his favourite 'toy' - that and his Kong.

Never seen them here. But I do buy him bones that take a long time to chew. There are bones that he can quickly chew up, so I make sure I buy the kind that takes a number of hours to chew. All brands have different qualities of course. Neo is very fond of these: http://www.dogman.se/sv-SE/Hem/Produkt/Tuggrulle-pressad-12-cm/303158.aspx

Reuben's really cute. He looks really sweet, and when as he got older, he still has such beautiful fur! He can run so fast too! Pamuk runs fast too, and she looks a bit like Reuben. Which makes me really think she is half labrador.

I don't have any videos of Boris or Pamuk. I don't have a smartphone or video camera (camcorder). Well, I don't even have a camera, but I borrow my parents' one (or boyfriends' one). I think you can make videos with a photo camera, though I don't know if YouTube can read them (maybe I should try sometime). I do have some very old footage of our two dogs who've passed away, somewhere (but my family will be in it too and some of them won't want to be on YouTube perhaps).

I used to make lots of photos and a few videos too, in the past. But then things changed in my life and I realised I didn't look at that old stuff much, and sometimes didn't even want to (depending on the time or event). I do like to see photos of our pets who've passed away, they were so beautiful. I did think of posting some but I wasn't sure if it wasn't considered weird. Lately I've been trying to take more photos since it is nice as a memory (most of the time, at least).

Sorry for going a bit off-topic!

Here's Boris, not long after we got him (he was four months old here):

IMG10009.jpg

Edited by Athena

This is Reuben's You Tube video channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NancyH41?feature=watch

I may have posted this before, not sure. Haven't done any in a while, but just looking back at them I can see how he has grown!

That reminds me of Neo. So much. The humping... Although Neo humps my cover. You also think of having him snipped? Neo will go through that soon. 

Such a cutie Reuben. :) Sweet eyes.

Thanks bobbly for sharing! I've had fun going through the videos. I love the puppy to junior slideshow, and Reuben's first barks :D He's a real darling :wub:

The Puppy to Junior slideshow is my favorite. I can't believe how fast he has grown, but I still think of him as a puppy! :thud:

Reuben's really cute. He looks really sweet, and when as he got older, he still has such beautiful fur! He can run so fast too! Pamuk runs fast too, and she looks a bit like Reuben. Which makes me really think she is half labrador.

He's faster now than when he was younger. Looking at some of the videos of when he was 6 - 9 months, he just looks like he is all legs! I think he must have grown taller quite quickly, and then slowly grown outwards.

We've taken more photos of Reuben than of our previous dog. I think it's because they grow up so quickly we want to hold on to what it was like when they were younger.

That reminds me of Neo. So much. The humping... Although Neo humps my cover. You also think of having him snipped? Neo will go through that soon. 

Such a cutie Reuben. :) Sweet eyes.

Yeah, the humping is a bit ridiculous. :giggle: He is due for his booster in March, and then probably in April we will get him snipped. We are both dreading it, as it will be the first time he has been away from us (even though it will only be less than a day), and we are worried about whether he will be ok. I don't want him to be in any pain, even though it is a very routine operation.

Neo looks like he's having loads of fun in the snow. I'd love to see Reuben playing in the snow like that!!

Yeah, the humping is a bit ridiculous.  :giggle: He is due for his booster in March, and then probably in April we will get him snipped. We are both dreading it, as it will be the first time he has been away from us (even though it will only be less than a day), and we are worried about whether he will be ok. I don't want him to be in any pain, even though it is a very routine operation.

I think he'll be fine. He'll probably sleep most of the time. I think it will be more difficult for you than for him. It's just human nature to worry. I will worry too when it's Neo's turn to get snipped. Probably won't get much sleep, and just wish to be there with him. Dogs are fortunately not human when it comes to that kind of worrying. That will be my comfort. Also, I know Neo is excellent at the vet. He's been there 4 times (eye infection, ear infection), and he's just the nicest dog there. Let's the vet do things with him that he doesn't like -- things that we can't do without him objecting. 

I do wish visiting the vet was like visiting the doctor with a sick kid. That the owners were allowed to sleep over with the pet. Just for their own sake. 

OMG...You Tube puppy videos! LOVE THEM!!!

As some might recall, our senior black lab was due for surgery to get rid of some large but benign cysts and have her teeth done. Well I'm very happy to report after a very trying first couple weeks after surgery, Keiko is well on her way back to perma puppy mode!

It was actually more trying for us than her, especially me because she knows if you just look the tiniest bit pitiful, Mom will rush you to the doctor where everyone feels sorry for you...and you get more cookies that way!

Seriously though, it was a very big surgery. They opted to remove three of the larger and fastest growing cysts. One one each side and one in her armpit. And they yanked a bad tooth as well as cleaning them. The first several days we kept her well medicated and while the wounds have healed up nicely, we still have the radar dish on when we are sleeping or otherwise too occupied to watch her like a hawk. She is utterly fascinated by these new "zippers" on her sides and is still quite bald wher they shaved her so goes at them like a chew toy.

This is Keiko's 4th (and hopefull last...EVER) surgery. The first of course was when she was spayed, the second at a year old when she ate half her bed, then again at about age 6 when we had a cancerous lump on her rump. But she turns 12 on June 1st, so I really really hope this is her very last one!

It did not occur to me to take pics of her very funny haircut until today so I could embarrass her by showing you here. Fortunately, depending on your point of view, they shaved so much off that it is very still very visible there. Had hubby take pics today and download them for me, but as I'm not using my laptop right now, I can put them up yet. (I'm using my new tablet and can't figure out how to operated it very well yet. Can't even figure out how to access the emoticons using this thing. More on this in my personal thread later.)

I say this without an ounce of exageration, but this dog is getting better medical care than I am! The vet who did the surgery fell so much in love with her that when she heard Keiko was still in pain and we needed more meds, she came in on her day off when the clinic was closed, just so she could find our phone number to make sure Keiko was okay! That nearly made me cry that she cared so much about my baby, especially after working so hard to keep the costs as low as possible for us. She is now my personal hero!

I will post the pics in the next few days, if I get the time. They were taken this weekend on her bed, which is next to ours and between the bed and the closet. Don't think her new "zippers" will show, but you will see what and absurdly large area they shaved, especially on her left where the biggest one was. It had grown from about the sized of a small mandarin orange into a small cantaloupe in just a years time. The one on the other side had grown from about a golf ball size into a large navel orange during the same period. The one in her armpit went from barely there to golf size, again in just a year. There are still three or four others in various places, one being right on her breast bone but is slow growing and while it isn't bothering her at all, removing that one is not an option as apparently is spread it's "roots" rather far and deep into the muscle and other surrounding tissue. The others haven't really grown at all, or at least incredibly slowly, and are not easily seen unless you go looking for them with your hands.

Small side note here: I can't spell check on this tablet or navigate very easily back to correct any typos I may have made. My apologies for that. I would normally use my computer to come on here, but it's nearly 5:00 AM and I just don't have the energy to pull it out right now.

The first several days, despite the pain meds, she cried and whined a lot. Several phone calls and trips to the vet later, I found out that while yes, she had been in some pain, she was mostly playing for sympathy because as soon as we would get there, she would miraculously feel much, much better. All bouncy, wiggly and gulping down treats. Basically, I got played. Over and over again. So much so that I was actually beginning to think I should have not gone through with the surgery and that she was hanging on to life by a mere thread.

Sighs and rolls eyes. This is not my first rodeo with Keiko, and you would think I'd have learned by now. Wrong!

Drat, I was going to make a few other posts and catch up on everything I'd missed, but it's finally gone quiet in here and I have to take advantage of that and try to sleep before the house gets up. I hope everyone is doing well and I will try to get back again very soon. Hoping later this week, but I have some major appointments this week so don't know if I will have the energy or not.

But I will be back, and with pictures too, as soon as I can.

In the meantime, sending Hugs to Everyone!

Wow, I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope she'll get better now. None of our dogs have had cancer, but the first one did have problems with his leg after a while so they put a metal pin in his bone (I can't remember the details). It sounds like Keiko had a rough time, very sneaky though that she was just faking some of the pain! I hope she gets well soon, pet her extra from me :). I look forward to see pictures of Keiko, I suppose she'll be quite bald, the poor dog.

You didn't make many spelling mistakes at all, so don't worry about it.

Hugs back!

Hoping Keiko will be ok after all this. Pet her some more from me too. And a big smooch! Maybe some relaxing music playing in the background for a calm mood? 

The dog I grew up with got cancer at the age of 12. Since he was old and the treatments back in 1993 would be major, we let him go to sleep. I tear up about it even today, so I know how tough it is to sit by as your dog is ill. 
In fact, it is so painful that every time I read about dogs being injured or ill, I either have tears in my eyes, or refuse to read more and go "la-la-la-la-la" and pretend I never heard/read anything. 

Photos of my two Siberian Huskies.  They have a bed in the studio where they like to sleep if I am working, or else they are quite happy to curl up at my feet when I am reading ?  Perfect companions.

My girl Micah

post-10436-0-99290900-1361201611_thumb.jpg

My boy Ozzy

post-10436-0-52653200-1361201632_thumb.jpg

They love to cool down in their pool on a hot day

post-10436-0-38069600-1361201650_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit ago my dad and stepmom let me know our family cat, Shadow, died this morning. He was almost 18 years old. My dad found him when he was only a few weeks old huddling underneath his car's engine for warmth in the winter. He brought him home and Shadow never forgot it. Even when dad tried to rehome him a few years ago Shadow 'escaped' and found his way back home. Dad figured a cat who wanted to be with us that bad was worth keeping around. Shadow even learned to go to the bathroom outside like a dog (I think because he knew dad hated the litter box smell in the house.)

Dad told me they found him in the yard this morning with our German shepherd, K.D., guarding his body. She was protecting him and wouldn't let anyone near him, not even the other dogs. Shadow was always 'her kitty'. 

I'm really going to miss him. 

4741_1170176372200_6865477_n-1_zps090818ec.jpg

Awww, sorry to hear about Shadow. :(

My little Reuben is poorly. :wibbly:  He's been very lethargic, sleeping most of the evening on Friday (thought he was just tired as he had a really good run around the field), and most of the day Saturday. He's moving about today, but hasn't really eaten anything until a couple of hours ago when we cooked him some scrambled egg. He was slow to eat his kibble on Friday and Saturday (when he usually wolfs it down), and didn't eat anything this morning. I wonder if he has a sore mouth because he would roll some kibble around his mouth, but then spit it out.

He's off to the vet tomorrow, so hopefully they can see what is wrong. I debated whether I should call the emergency vet today, but he didn't seem to be in pain and perked up when I talked to him in my 'Reuben voice', so would have felt a bit silly maybe. I don't know - I never know what to do. :thud:

Can dogs get colds or sore throats? He sounded a bit snuffly every now and then, but googling brings up everything and nothing!!

So sorry to hear about Shadow Abielle Rose, so sad when we lose our beloved pets :(

Hope Rueben is feeling better soon BB, hopefully it's just a little bug he's picked up somewhere, he couldn't have swallowed something that can't pass through? Can often take 3 days for something to either go through or back up! Or does he chase/chew sticks? Could he have a bit of wood wedged in his teeth? Or could he have eaten something nasty? Is he going to the toilet ok?