Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Thanks so much :friends0: I'm glad you liked the pics. Molly is doing a little better on account of the fact that she is enjoying privileges previously unknown to her, even if she's sitting on Mum's best jumper .. she doesn't get moved. This may well all lead to trouble but what can you do? She spent ages this evening sitting in my best armchair watching 'The Great Barrier Reef' on TV.

I love your avvie pontalba .. Goldy looks lovely. I keep wondering if we could have done more, noticed earlier that something was wrong. The vet says not but then he would, he was trying to make us feel better. Oscar may have been off his food for longer than I noticed, with two it's hard to know who ate what ... he definitely ate all his food at Christmas, I gave him some chicken over the holidays which he loved. I wish I'd let him sit on my best jumper now :( he definitely did sit on it .. several times .. but never with permission. Though it used to drive me up the wall, I'm going to miss getting all dressed up in my best clothes and finding that by the time I've got in the car I've got an extra layer of ginger fluff on me.

Thanks poppy, Goldy is a love.

And know that you have done everything for Oscar you could have. First off, the vets don't just tell people that you know, they mean it. Many times when it's noticed that a cat isn't eating properly (and believe me, with multiple cats, that isn't easy!) there is something like kidney faliure, or some sort of organ failure going on. There is not too much to be done in those cases.

I've given them water under the skin, and if a cat is younger, and there isn't an underlying failure going on, they can cure up and be ok. But with an older cat, once that kidney failure sets in, and it is very common in cats, there isn't anything to be done. 14 is about the age it can set in. You can prolong, but frankly, that is not always the kind thing to do. It just depends.

You saved him, you loved him, you gave him a good home, with good companionship. No one can do more.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awww poppyshake! Oscar was much loved by you, Alan and Molly and he knew that. Don't blame yourself in any way. *huggles* (my emoticons have gone awol)

Thanks poppy, Goldy is a love.

And know that you have done everything for Oscar you could have. First off, the vets don't just tell people that you know, they mean it. Many times when it's noticed that a cat isn't eating properly (and believe me, with multiple cats, that isn't easy!) there is something like kidney faliure, or some sort of organ failure going on. There is not too much to be done in those cases.

I've given them water under the skin, and if a cat is younger, and there isn't an underlying failure going on, they can cure up and be ok. But with an older cat, once that kidney failure sets in, and it is very common in cats, there isn't anything to be done. 14 is about the age it can set in. You can prolong, but frankly, that is not always the kind thing to do. It just depends.

You saved him, you loved him, you gave him a good home, with good companionship. No one can do more.

Thanks frankie and pontalba :friends0: The vet told us that his system would have adjusted to cope with the problem and that there would have been few outward signs until the end. Bless him, he wasn't a cat to complain much anyway.

Molly is looking a bit brighter :smile: She doesn't like her pic taken much but I snapped this one as she was relaxing yesterday .. in my favourite chair!! I am not quite sitting on the floor but it would be all the same if I was .. Molly has taken a fancy to my chair and that's that. She doesn't like any of her old sleeping places.

I showed her the pic and she reckons that her bum looks enormous but I explained about camera angles and that has temporarily 'mollyfied' her :D

post-5612-0-45290900-1326657814_thumb.jpg

Oh, she is adorable! I love it when they cover their eyes like that. So sweet.

I wonder if she smells Oscar on her old sleeping places, and it confuses her, so she stays away? Feels safer with your scent.

Oh, she is adorable! I love it when they cover their eyes like that. So sweet.

I wonder if she smells Oscar on her old sleeping places, and it confuses her, so she stays away? Feels safer with your scent.

I agree with pontalba, they are so cute when the cover their eyes! Molly's a real sweetheart :smile2:

Thanks :friends0:.. she was so pleased when I told her :D You're probably right about her smelling Oscar in her old places, she acted very strangely during the last two days of his life. Normally inseparable (though inclined to give each other a swipe if rattled) she stayed right away from him and they didn't curl up together at all. This upset me a bit because I thought he needed the comfort but it may well be that he didn't want anyone near, he certainly didn't respond to me or Alan when we tried soothing him. I think he just wanted to be left alone :cry2:

My Mum and Dad, knowing how down I've been, sent me some beautiful flowers yesterday and it just so happened that it was the day we collected Ozzies ashes in their little box :cry2: I took a pic, just so as I could commemorate the day. I'll attach it by thumbnail so that people can click on it or not .. I don't want to upset anyone or make them gloomy. Thinking about it now I should have put a photo of him there too but I forgot in the emotion of it all.

post-5612-0-36934500-1326980508_thumb.jpg

I hope you and Alan are doing OK. *hugs* to you both. Those photos of Oscar are amazing and, as someone said, they look very professional.

How lovely of your parents to send you flowers.

Beautiful flowers poppy from your folks hen, I'm glad Molly is doing better :hug:

Quinn changes her sleeping places constantly, partly because she was so indecisiveness and to jump on Dylan when he least expects it. :giggle:

Dylan (for once) was wide awake and decided to wake me up too ~

Dylangetup.jpg

And a rare moment of togetherness (I took this just before Christmas) :) ~

Kindoffriends.jpg

Thanks everyone :smile:

Lovely pics Paula, I wish I could sleep like a cat .. they always look so relaxed and comfortable.

Me too hen, especially like Dylan, he has relaxation down to a fine art. :)

Thanks frankie and pontalba :friends0: The vet told us that his system would have adjusted to cope with the problem and that there would have been few outward signs until the end. Bless him, he wasn't a cat to complain much anyway.

Molly is looking a bit brighter :smile: She doesn't like her pic taken much but I snapped this one as she was relaxing yesterday .. in my favourite chair!! I am not quite sitting on the floor but it would be all the same if I was .. Molly has taken a fancy to my chair and that's that. She doesn't like any of her old sleeping places.

I showed her the pic and she reckons that her bum looks enormous but I explained about camera angles and that has temporarily 'mollyfied' her :D

So cute!!!

Beautiful flowers poppy from your folks hen, I'm glad Molly is doing better :hug:

Quinn changes her sleeping places constantly, partly because she was so indecisiveness and to jump on Dylan when he least expects it. :giggle:

Dylan (for once) was wide awake and decided to wake me up too ~

Dylangetup.jpg

And a rare moment of togetherness (I took this just before Christmas) :) ~

Kindoffriends.jpg

Aww, They're so sweet, Paula. Quinn almost looksl ike she's praying for Dylan to get out of her personal space. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our last pet, Clyde (our ancient ginger tom) has died. It is a year ago this month that his much missed sister died.

He is the last member of our furry family (along with Bonnie his sister, and Cap our Border Collie), and we are going to miss him so very much. He had got so scrawny in recent months and much needier, although all I have heard from our neighbours of late is his exploits in the neighbourhood - sitting on a high fence gazing longingly at some birds, running with a hobble to keep up with a younger cat, and squalling at a local bully cat who had tried it on. That's my boy!

We have buried him near his sister, and will plant some wildflower seeds when the ground has settled.

Thanks Frankie. I hadn't realised just how much I chatted to our deaf old cat until this morning when I went to say something to him and of course he wasn't there. Blooming animals, little furry heartbreakers. :smile:

Thanks Frankie. I hadn't realised just how much I chatted to our deaf old cat until this morning when I went to say something to him and of course he wasn't there. Blooming animals, little furry heartbreakers. :smile:

So sorry to hear about Clyde Chrissy, it's do devastating to lose them isn't it? Every day I wake up and my oldies are still here and happy I feel blessed. :console:

Thanks Abby and Laura. :smile:

Tonight we had some homemade cod and chips, and I realised it was the first meal I've had (at home) in 9 years where I wasn't mieowed at by a cat in the hope of a tidbit. :mellow: