Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

How sweet Mrsmac!!

Hayley, Oscar is soooo cute!

Emelee I think you should give it a try.

I can't say a single thing on snakes, 'cos they're not my style, but I have a great news: my Lily is out of danger!!! She is back to her usual and the infection is definitely over. I didn't realise how strong she is before coming through a thing like this. Pyometra is really nasty and it's not so easy to survive, but Lily is as strong as a bull, my little baby. I will post you a picture asap.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eleanora, I'm so pleased for you, and Lily, she is definitely made of very stern stuff!!

I'm having to rest Obi at the moment, not easy for a Cattle Dog.. He is having problems with his rear right leg, I'm a little nervous it could be his cruciate ligament which no amount of rest will help, but he's not in obvious pain (plus I'm giving him some Metacam, an anti-inflammatory) so will wait a few days before signing more life savings over to the Vet!  :blush2:  It's only 4 weeks or so till we pick up the pup so would like him to be fit for that.. 

Good news about Lily Eleonora - look forward to seeing a pic.  Oscar is a great looking dog Bookworm - a lot more handsome than Yoda!   I know someone who has snakes as pets, sorry to say it just gives me the willies thinking about the fact they take them out of their glass cases to play with them.   :hide:

Hmm, you'd have to contact the forum staff about that, I have no idea why it wouldn't be working :(.

I was walking in the garden a few days ago, feeding the animals, when I heard chirping noises. And, then, I saw, baby chicken!! We have 14 baby chicken, they're all yellow or yellow with black spots and they're so cute!

Here's a video I made of them:

I do have photos as well but they're on my phone which is charging up atm.

Love that video Athena, and my daughter now wants chicks, probably not a good idea with a cat though! :D

Well, here is the picture I have been desperately waiting for, this is puppy chaliepud at 4 weeks and 2 days old..

2iuztwh.jpg

:wub:  :wub:

I ususally wait to see the puppy's personality before I give her/him a name. I named my lady dog Lily because she's really protective, just like Lily Potter.

My other old lady is Tabitha after the soap Bewitched.. because of that funny nose thing.

Athena, I'm so sorry to hear about the chickens from before. Devastating news :(:empathy:   But I'm happy to hear you had new baby chickens! :)

Eleonora, how's Lily doing now?

Wordsgood, I'm happy Keiko's gotten better! :) I love the name :D

Emelee, is Neo better now?

Chalie, the pup's absolutely gorgeous :D

Hugs and cuddles to all of your pet pals! I hope I didn't forget anyone, I was so behind on this thread I had many pages to read :blush:

Oh! Almost forgot: I've had many encounters with dogs in the past week or so! :) I was visiting my parents in Nurmes, and my cousin V brought over his girlfriend R, who's heard that I'm a big fan of dogs, and she in turn brought over her two dogs! I was so excited, I'd heard about them before and was thrilled when I heard my cousin H (V's big sis) had invited them over, especially to meet me! :) I'd seen my cousin's GF before at a wedding last summer, but as we didn't sit in the same area and cousin V didn't bring her over to introduce her to us, we never talked or anything, and I'd kinda gotten the impression that she was a bit ... snooty, maybe? But I'd totally gotten the wrong impression, she was really nice and very talkative and fun to talk to when I met her this week. She's only 18, but she's always had dogs in her family and now owns two of her own and she seems like a really knowledgeful, skillful dog owner. :yes: As a matter of fact, she'd entered a competition where three winners would have their dogs in a commercial! She'd gone there with her two dogs and they'd done so well that they'd told her they would like to see her and her dogs again in the future, quite possibly! :)

Anyhow. The dogs were Kamu (Finnish for 'pal'), 4yo. white shepherd and Kefe, 11 month old Belgian shepherd. Absolutely gorgeous dogs! The white shepherd was huge :D When R came over with the dogs and approached me, she said that Kefe is a bit shy and timid with strangers at first, but when the dogs came over Kefe came right at me to say hello and let me pat her right from the get-go! They were really nice, beautiful dogs. When I sat down, Kefe would come over for cuddles, but at times Kamu, the older, bigger one would get sick of not getting attention and he would then come over and push Kefe away from me and make me pat him instead :D  Poor Kefe! He needs to stand his ground more :yes: I hope to meet them many, many times in the future!

I was working at Ilosaarirock festival area on Thursday and Friday, guarding the area and making sure unauthorized people weren't coming in. The fences had been just put up and it was the first days when joggers and walkers couldn't go in the area and we had to tell them to go around it. One dog walker had come in from this gate that wasn't guarded yet and he was walking to us to exit the area through our gate, he was a nice man with this beautiful little dog and he started talking to me and my guarding partner about the festival, and I got to pat his dog all the while. What a cutie!

And there was this one girl who tried to come through our gate with her big dog. The dog looked a bit like a boxer but was not, but I don't know what breed he was. His name was Luka. When we were telling the girl she couldn't go through, I went over to the dog and he let me pat him a bit. The girl said it was a shame the area was now off limits, because they always walk the same route to the marina where she'll throw a stick in the lake and Luka will fetch. We were sad to tell her they couldn't do it. And Luka then went as far as his leash would let him, and stand still and look in the direction of the marina, and the girl said to him that they couldn't go. It was obvious Luka didn't understand why, and was only waiting for his owner to stop talking to us and go as usual. I said 'oh dear, he's moping, poor Luka!' and the girl said 'yes indeed'. My partner made a judgement call and told them they could go through if the stayed on the right side, in the grass area where the trucks wouldn't be driving. (there was another gate just some hundred meters off and she could've gotten into the area there because it wasn't closed off yet, so it was just as well that she went through our gate :giggle2:) Luka was very pleased :D Off they went, for a dip in the lake with a stick!

There were other dogs too, walking past the area and whenever I would spot one, I'd walk to the gate and past it, to see if the owners were friendly and talkative and would let me pat their dogs. I would stand next to the fence with a friendly smile but I wouldn't approach them, I would just let the owner and the dog approach me if they liked. Unfortunately none did :(   However I did see this rather red golden retriever, far away, who was happily walking infront of his owner, and he noticed a squirrel and started chasing it, and up a tree the squirrel went and the doggy ran right behind it and jumped and was trying to follow the squirrel to the tree :D He walked past me at the gate, he looked really friendly and kept checking me out, like he wanted to come say hello, but he looked back at his owner and I suppose his owner didn't want the dog talking to me, because the dog then marched on :shrug:

I love dogs :wub:

Frankie, you're soo sweet! I just love the way you talk about dogs... so lovely. Lily is back to her normal life, that is to say she runs here and there. I'm sorry I can't post any pics of her. I'm still trying to understand why I can't.

I can't post any photos because a pop-up says I'm not allowed. I have to find another way to show you my Lily.

I use tinypic to upload pics from my computer, it's the easiest way I have found for a technophobe like me! :D

Thanks Julie! :) :)

Frankie, it is so obvious you love dogs, I wish you were visiting this year so you could meet our new bundle of toothy joy... I think you talked about charity work a while back? We have a charity in the UK called The Cinnamon Trust and they have lots of volunteers that look after for dogs for the elderly and terminally ill, sometimes that involves short term fostering, long term adoption, and sometimes just someone popping in to walk, feed, take the, dog to the Vet or help with recommendations for adoption (home vetting etc).. I wonder if you have anything like that in Norway, it would suit you to a tee! :) :)

We are still trying to find a name for the pup, I know what you mean Eleanora about seeing the pup first but I would really like the breeder to start using the name..

We are narrowed down at the moment to ...

Chica

Jojo

Zoe

Tess

Dixie (I love this but my 8 year old has ruined it by saying Dicks(y)!!! :D

Oh!  Adorable chicks and puppy.....beautiful!

Frankie, that white shepherd sounds gorgeous.  I. Love. Shepherds!!

When you wrote of the dog that chased the squirrel up the tree, I thought of a story my mother told me about a dog we had when I was a child.  Her name was Fritzi and she was a medium sized.....dunno...looked like a miniature collie.  She hated squirrels with a purple passion.  She actually chased one up a huge peach tree in our back yard...just ran right up the tree after the thing.  Of course she got to a lower branch (miracle!) and didn't know what to do...she just sat, balanced on the branch looking terrified. 

My mother called Fritzi to her by patting her chest and calling out, come on baby!  She did jump, landed on Mother's chest and they both went down in a heap.  All ok though, and believe me, Fritzi was a happy camper!

Chalie

Maybe you could do a poll in here for the name.

I'd second the name Tess. I like really short names like that, so it'd be a nice name for a nice pup . :)

Sounds like you had some great experiences, frankie :)!

Yep, a lot of interaction with dogs just in one week! :D Next month there's this big dog show event here in Joensuu, I'm thinking I really need to go and see the dogs! :)

Frankie, you're soo sweet! I just love the way you talk about dogs... so lovely. Lily is back to her normal life, that is to say she runs here and there. I'm sorry I can't post any pics of her. I'm still trying to understand why I can't.

I'm really happy to hear Lily's back to her normal self :friends3:   You could ask the mods/admins in this section about the photo posting?

Thanks Julie! :) :)

Frankie, it is so obvious you love dogs, I wish you were visiting this year so you could meet our new bundle of toothy joy...

I would absolutely love it if I could just jump on in an airplane and come over and meet your doggy posse! :wub: Maybe some day in the future... :)

I think you talked about charity work a while back? We have a charity in the UK called The Cinnamon Trust and they have lots of volunteers that look after for dogs for the elderly and terminally ill, sometimes that involves short term fostering, long term adoption, and sometimes just someone popping in to walk, feed, take the, dog to the Vet or help with recommendations for adoption (home vetting etc).. I wonder if you have anything like that in Norway, it would suit you to a tee! :) :)

Yep, that sounds just like the thing I'd like to do! I'm just very clueless when it comes to charity work, I mean I wouldn't know where to look things up. I wonder if Finland is just generally less organized than the UK when it comes to charity work. I mean loads of people on here have done charity work and all seem to know some organization or another... And all I know is the Red Cross and a few charityshops :rolleyes: I have to start googling!! Thanks chalie :)

We are still trying to find a name for the pup, I know what you mean Eleanora about seeing the pup first but I would really like the breeder to start using the name..

We are narrowed down at the moment to ...

Chica

Jojo

Zoe

Tess

Dixie (I love this but my 8 year old has ruined it by saying Dicks(y)!!! :D

:lol: 8 year olds are the worse, the stuff they come up with in school and bring home... :giggle2: Hey, how about Dixby? :) Well that doesn't work, it's got the same word in the front...

Frankie, that white shepherd sounds gorgeous.  I. Love. Shepherds!!

Shepherds are cool :cool: I love it how they sometimes resort to herding people or even leaves falling of a tree when they don't have any sheep around to herd :D

When you wrote of the dog that chased the squirrel up the tree, I thought of a story my mother told me about a dog we had when I was a child.  Her name was Fritzi and she was a medium sized.....dunno...looked like a miniature collie.  She hated squirrels with a purple passion.  She actually chased one up a huge peach tree in our back yard...just ran right up the tree after the thing.  Of course she got to a lower branch (miracle!) and didn't know what to do...she just sat, balanced on the branch looking terrified. 

My mother called Fritzi to her by patting her chest and calling out, come on baby!  She did jump, landed on Mother's chest and they both went down in a heap.  All ok though, and believe me, Fritzi was a happy camper!

:D She must've wondered how the hell it happened that she'd just ended up in a tree all of a sudden :D Too funny!!! Your Mum was genius, with the way she handled the situation. Good ole Fritzi!! :smile2:

A poll would be interesting Julie (if I knew how!) but I'd still choose what I wanted at the end of it! :D

Yeah you could start a poll just for fun if you wanted, I'm sure nobody on here minded when in the end you went with whatever your family chose to go with! :) I'm sure that if you wanted, you could even start a thread on here on name suggestions :yes: Setting up a poll isn't difficult at all, you just start a thread and click on the 'set a poll' thingy on the right, and there come the options. When you try it, you'll know what to do :yes:

Good news about Lily Eleonora - look forward to seeing a pic.  Oscar is a great looking dog Bookworm - a lot more handsome than Yoda!   I know someone who has snakes as pets, sorry to say it just gives me the willies thinking about the fact they take them out of their glass cases to play with them.   :hide:

I honestly can't think of a pet that could cause less damage to you than the majority of pet snakes. I would rather be bitten by a snake than hamsters, cats, dogs, chinchillas etc. The only snakes that can cause serious injury are the very large constrictors and venomous snakes. A DWA license is required to own venomous snakes in this country. 

Love your little chicks Athena .. so sweet and chalie .. that puppy is just too adorable  :friends0: lucky, lucky you :)

This is a pic of Molly in the garden today ..she has taken to sitting on the table under the parasol because it's just too hot everywhere else :smile: 

mollysummer.jpg