Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Our previous dog Max, wasn't very good with people. He was fine with family and those he knew, but I had several embarrassing moments when I was walking him and he would bark and lunge at someone on the other side of the street. :blink:  I think it may have come from when he hurt his back quite badly, and couldn't be walked for a while. He also developed a phobia of going outside (even into the garden!) for a while, bless him.

Reuben on the other hand, loves people. Whenever he sees someone, his whole body starts wiggling, he gets so excited. It's so much easier having a people-friendly dog; I never have to worry about him doing something dangerous, and because he's so cute he does get quite a few people coming up to him on walks, wanting to stroke him. :D

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always find it odd to even think there could be dogs who do not like people (unless of course they've been treated badly by people, but I know you would never so that's not a reason in this case). Just like I always find it odd if some person doesn't like dogs :blush: What's not to love! It's a two way street, it's the highway of love!

I didn't get her till she was 9 months old.  My first husband brought her home as he'd gone to see her from a newspaper ad I'd read.  When he got her home, she was afraid of me.  I found out it was because the woman that had her before raised Dobermans and was evidently mistreating ?/screaming at any other dog.  Don't know why or how she had the Shepherd.  Anyhow, Satin was afraid of any woman's voice because of that woman.  It took me weeks to overcome that fear.  I'd drag her up on the couch, pet and cuddle her, talk sweetly and feed her.  She finally came around and we were inseparable after that.  She lived to be 13 and stuck with me through thick and thin.  She was a fantastic dog. 

I do have a weakness for Shepherds though.

Our previous dog Max, wasn't very good with people. He was fine with family and those he knew, but I had several embarrassing moments when I was walking him and he would bark and lunge at someone on the other side of the street. :blink:  I think it may have come from when he hurt his back quite badly, and couldn't be walked for a while. He also developed a phobia of going outside (even into the garden!) for a while, bless him.

Reuben on the other hand, loves people. Whenever he sees someone, his whole body starts wiggling, he gets so excited. It's so much easier having a people-friendly dog; I never have to worry about him doing something dangerous, and because he's so cute he does get quite a few people coming up to him on walks, wanting to stroke him. :D

Really, that is the way you want them to be, imo.  Zazu would have helped a robber carry the silver out! 

A watch dog is a great thing. But cats let us know, in their own way if someone strange is about.

Thanks Athena and emelee, they were my babies!

Edited by pontalba

Viola passed away this morning. I know she feels better now.

Oh Eleonora.  I'm so very sorry to hear that.  And...you are right, she is not in pain or suffering anymore. 

:empathy:  

It's so hard to lose them.  All we can do is do the best for them while they are with us, and you did that.

Eleonora, I'm very sorry for your Viola. I know how much it can be sad :(

Your pets (it's better to say "friends") are very beautiful!

I have a dog, his name is Lucky and is the best in the world! XD (obviuosly for me)

184384_1446024290820_5905699_n.jpg

He can seem an angel, but you don't must deceive. Indeed he is a little devil with a stomach without found XD

Awwww he looks so cute! :)

Pamuk is doing a bit better but when he has to run fast she's still using three legs only. We'll phone the vet next week (ie. tomorrow) and see what he says, how long it takes to recover. Imo it seems premature to give her surgery just yet (she's still on painkillers atm so not in too much pain, not sure how much painkiller is left in the bottle), since doing so will be very scary for her (and us). She's very afraid of strange people and strange places (including the vet). When she is nervous, she tends to let her urine flow, last time we were at the vet, she made a big mess :blush:. The poor thing!

Boris is doing well though yesterday he seemed to have trouble with his leg again. There's something wrong with his nail but the vet doesn't know how to fix it (well, he's never seen anything like it before). It's not bothered Boris that much the past while, except yesterday all of a sudden it seemed it bothered him. So we'll have to keep an eye on it and see how he does.

The two of them don't play much anymore, since Boris hurt Pamuk (twice). So Boris tends to have excess energy at times. Sometimes he can be fine, on his own outside or playing with a toy (on his own or with me), but at other times he won't stop biting, jumping, barking etc. Gladly so far the past week he's been mostly fine around me, but he got really excited when seeing some of my family members.

Thank you very much everybody. It's hard now, for everyone of us: we had bad times in the past and she Viola was the only one who could cheer us up. We all miss her. My other dog miss  her too! Tabatha's still looking for Viola everywhere, she waits her on the door when I take her for a walk. Sad!

Many, Lucky is really wonderful!

Athena, let us know how Pamuk and Boris will feel with their legs.

Neo is just impossible when it comes to cutting his claws. Takes 2 people and a muzzle in the bathroom to get it done. And even then it's a tough job to get done. At least he is a quick forgiver, and is happy again the minute we release him. 

Lucky he isn't too hard to shower, even though he tends to jump out of the bathtub when he sees a good chance for it. Showered him Monday. I had just rubbed shampoo all over him when he jumped out of the tub. Water all over the bathroom floor. Got a bit of shampoo over myself while lifting him back in. 
And what is the FIRST thing he does after the shower? Get himself dirty again of course! DOG!

Oh, yes...the joys of bathing and trimming.  oy

I used to have to shave my big girl, Zazu down to about an inch or two long, and she absolutely hated the process.  I'd put her up on the table in the back yard and she'd stand for a while, then lie down, and I'd shift her from side to side to get every nook and cranny.  :eek:  lol  Actually she was very long suffering about the entire process.  She was a darling girl. 

It wasn't always easy to keep her from jumping down, and it was really too far for a dog her size.  /sigh/

I had to do it myself, the one time I brought her to a groomer, even though I stayed right by her the whole time, she sulked for a week! 

My dog is very small and block him it's not too hard to do. He tends to jump out of the shower, anyway. Also, he drink a lot of water, and trembles so much just after out from the shower. He seems a nice mouse when his hair are wet :3

How many times do you shower your dogs every month?

Edited by Many8

How many times do you shower your dogs every month?

Every month? No. Every 3rd month or if he's dirty. Some breeds don't have to shower or get groomed very often. Neo never stink or have a skin or fur problem. So every 3rd month is perfect for him.

Every month? No. Every 3rd month or if he's dirty. Some breeds don't have to shower or get groomed very often. Neo never stink or have a skin or fur problem. So every 3rd month is perfect for him.

Lucky has white hair, and for him it's too hard keep them clean. He doesn't stink, anyway.

He has to shower every 4-5 weeks, we try to keep him clean, but that's a losing battle xD

Neo was very light colored when he was younger, but he was quite good at not getting dirty. But I think it's easier when it's a lot of snow outside during winters to keep them clean. Neo likes to roll around in snow, which is terrific, as he gives himself a freshen up. The worst period is autumn, especially rainy days. Also when the snow melts away. 
Neo doesn't mind getting dirty, but he is good at licking himself clean too. 

It's been a while, I've been so busy. We are redecorating the down stairs. New paint, new doors, new frames, all to be painted. Wall papering. so much to do. so little time.

Anyway, Mabel has been doing very good. But the scare of her dying was big enough to get me thinking. So.....when we got a call from a good friend saying a neighbor of her had a litter of kittens. Red tabbies, a girl and a boy; I talked hubby into letting me have the little boy. I have a picture of the little tyke. His eyes are just starting to open, but I have no idea how to post them. (can someone do a talk through with me please?). Now to find a suitable name. I thought I had one, only when i googled it to find out the meaning, a lot of businesses came up with the same name. So, that name is a no-no. We will be going up in a few weeks to meet him. I need to know a bit of his character before I can actually name him. I hope to have the redecorating done before he joins our family. I'm sure Mabel will like to have a cat again in the house.

• 3 weeks later...

Some not very nice news here today.. 6 of our zijdehoender chicken have been killed by some kind of predator. It's really sad :(. There's feathers everywhere in their pen. We've found two bodies so far, it looked like they were dragged across the fence, since inside their pen there aren't any bodies (they are maybe 10? meters away from it). There don't appear to be many wounds and they weren't eaten, it seemed pretty pointless. The other bodies must be either eaten after all or dragged somewhere else in the garden, I may still find them later (our garden is big). We're having a very humid, warm day with rain and thunder storms so I don't really want to be outside atm (thunder scares me). There are also feathers somewhere else in the garden, there are some chicken from that pen missing but I'm hoping they're walking in the forest (there's a small hole in their fence so they can get out) rather than killed. I'll have another look later and see if I see anything (good or bad).

These zijdehoenders were born here and have grown up here.. they were pretty tame so it's really not nice at all that we lost them, they weren't so old yet or anything (pretty young I would say). The other zijdehoenders are older, they are still all there (gladly).

I've been feeling sad all morning :(. We're not quite sure what kind of predator it is, so far what we've thought of all treats their prey differently, ie. a fox would eat the chicken. Tonight we'll definately close the little house of the other zijdehoenders. We can't close the shed of the goats and chicken.

Our dog Pamuk is still limping with her paw, so she can't chase the predator as well as she otherwise might have. She's mostly inside since she injured her leg. I'm not sure if she would chase it but it might help. The dogs did bark yesterday evening, around 9ish, I went to them but didn't see or hear anything. It's likely that they did hear something. I should've let them outside perhaps (if they had wanted that).

All in all I feel pretty sad about it.. the poor chicken :censored::banghead:  :cray::wibbly: .

EDIT: I've found two more bodies, one of a white chicken that was with the goats and one zijdehoender. :(

Edited by Athena