Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, he is a stunning boy Emelee, I just love the head of male Goldens.. We have a guy who walks over the country park, he used to have 2 elderly boys who just got slower and slower, then a couple of months ago I saw him with 2 young boys, maybe 4 months old and they are just as stunning, their temperaments are so different though, one of them is so quiet and gentle and the other is a loon!  I have to watch Obi with that one! :)

I am finding it hard to walk 'slower' with my Mabel. She has gotten older very quickly since she has been sick. If I go any slower I shall have to crawl. :blush2:  And, when I stop, so does she (instead of catching up with me, who is waiting paitently for her). :wacko:

I so know this feeling MM, I actually used to jog a little with Honey and now Dylan as that seems to get them going a little bit, rather like when they were puppies and I wanted them to think I was more exciting than everything else.. not a fast jog, just enough to get them a little excited and moving a bit...  We have a large field in our country park, Obi and I walk around the edges, Dylan does a smaller circle. :)

Did that jogging work? I'm finding it very irritating to walk so slow as Mabel then tends to follow her nose more. If I can walk faster she doesn't have too much time to sniff every single thing that grows. Better for her and better for me. Plus my furface loves to snack on unhealthy droppings of other dogs, cats, etc. Walking faster keeps her from being able to do this. So I may just try your little tactic and see how she fairs.

Yes, it definitely helped at times, though of course you need to tailor it to your dogs age and fitness, I would do maybe 50 yards at a time.. I also found walking in open areas better as there is less to sniff!! :D

Unfortunately, Mabel, being a Labrador will ALWAYS find something to sniff. I have her trained enough that when I say "keep walking" she usually does without sniffing. I do give her her moments with a tree or such so that she can be a DOG.

I tried the 'jog' thing today. It worked pretty well. I kept it short and sweet though.

I also found a site that suggested Raw Honey instead of the expensive anti acid pills. I've been doing it a few days (1 tablespoon 15 minutes before her food) and it also seems to work. I'm hoping it will be a long-term thing. I really would rather that she get off the meds.

Raw honey is good for lots of things, last time I couldn't shake off a cough, Manuka honey in hot water was the thing to finally get rid of it. :)

Sounds like Mabel is a typical Labrador, but I'm glad the jogging got her going a bit, I'm sure jogging with a small treat in your hand would work well too.. ;)

Wow, he is a stunning boy Emelee, I just love the head of male Goldens.. We have a guy who walks over the country park, he used to have 2 elderly boys who just got slower and slower, then a couple of months ago I saw him with 2 young boys, maybe 4 months old and they are just as stunning, their temperaments are so different though, one of them is so quiet and gentle and the other is a loon!  I have to watch Obi with that one! :)

That's what some people don't understand. Just because they are the same breed does never mean their personality will be the same. It's like saying all people of a certain nationality have the same personality. ;) 

I love male goldies too. Neo is our second afterall. Means the first one made a lasting good impression. <3 I can understand that guy. 

Nice video, bobblybear! It looks like a beautiful piece of nature, and Reuben is so cute :).

Thanks, it was a great bit of woodland that we discovered!

Lovely film! Thanks for sharing it with us. It maake me feel good.

Thanks Miss Mabel.

BB - That's a brilliant video, Obi is very jealous of the lovely free running stream Reuben has to jump about in, we only have the large ponds nearlby and they can get very smelly! :D

Thanks chalie. We'd love to find more places for him to swim around in as he loves the water so much. We usually go to the beach when it's nice weather but it's good to give them a bit of variety I think.

Emelee - Neo is gorgeous! :boogie:

Since it was cool and finally stopped raining, we decided to go for a walk with Mabel to the sanddunes and woods. Her favorite place. She was so happy to finally be feeling better enough to do this. Us too. She played with a few dogs, her choosing, but couldn't find the normal water puddles. She loves those puddles, and since it rained most of the night we figured there would be a couple. The ground was dry enough to suck it all up I suspose. Mabel is now a very satisfied dog. I love seeing her whole face just 'smile' when she is on one of these walks. She loves the freedom they give. We do too.

Isn't it strange how people think that one breed means one type of personality. We choose a labrador because after having a couple of mixed breed shepherds, we wanted a quieter type of dog. Not so nervous. But, I was babysitting a lab before we chose our dog and that particular puppy was just too meek for me. I need a dog with a bit of pit. So, we have Mabel who has a quick mind, a steady character and a feel for fun. She has a scense of humor too! I like that. If she hadn't been too perky all the time, she would have been choosen for the Guide Dogs. Her whole nest had the same perkiness and quick wit.

I went to the vet today because my oldie Viola isn't well lately. She has some problem with her heart, the vet gave me some pills.. we'll see. I know she is 12 and I have to start to think about that sad moment.. but it's so hard. Anyway, she's eating now and she seems a little better.

I hope Viola feels better soon, Eleonora!

Miss Mabel, how is Mabel doing? I can't remember, have you shown us a picture of her? I would love to see pics if possible :)

Bobbly, I'm so happy Reuben's recovered, he went through an awful lot, didn't he :(  I checked out a video, does he have a ball in his mouth? It seemed like it. I was wondering if he goes anywhere without a ball :D

Emelee, gorgeous pics of Neo! :)

I hope Viola gets better soon, Eleonora!

Frankie, Reuben probably does have a ball in his mouth. He always carries his around when we take him out for a run. He carries it home too, which is adorable to see. :D I think it's the retriever in him as he's always carrying things around at home (socks and slippers usually). My hubby gave him a cheap teatowel and he loves running around with that. The other day, he went to the cupboard and pulled out another teatowel too. :giggle2:

I hope Viola gets better soon, Eleonora!

Frankie, Reuben probably does have a ball in his mouth. He always carries his around when we take him out for a run. He carries it home too, which is adorable to see. :D I think it's the retriever in him as he's always carrying things around at home (socks and slippers usually). My hubby gave him a cheap teatowel and he loves running around with that. The other day, he went to the cupboard and pulled out another teatowel too. :giggle2:

Yeah, I believe it's the retriever in him. It's so cute that he likes carrying things around! I used to have a golden retriever living in the neighbor. He had a nice little terrace where he could roam. Everytime his Daddy came home (through the terrace gate) he would run inside and get a shoe or something and present it to his master with such pride! :D Too bad the master wasn't pleased :( He scolded him a lot of the time, and the poor doggy didn't understand why! This one time, during winter, his ball was frozen to the deck and he couldn't get it, and the door was shut so he couldn't get a shoe from inside, so he took in his mouth this little mat that was lying around and shook it real good, he looked like a toreador :D It was so funny! Too bad they moved away, I miss the dog so much :(

I don't know if I already said this before, but in one of the Reuben films that I've watched he's chasing this little plastic ball on some terrace. I like it that the ball's plastic, because it's slippery against the terrace floor, and when Reuben goes near it and starts to push it, the ball moves incredibly fast and it bounces off to all directions! It seemed like a real good workout for Reuben, it's like the ball had a mind of its own :D

Edited by frankie

Thank you very much, my dears!! Viola is sleeping a lot, which is quite unusual for her. The vet says it's normal because pills make her feel very tired for the first days. She has just eaten and we did a small walk. It seems she's breathing a little better.. I hope for the best.

Bobblybear, Reuben must be a real fun.

Emelee, Neo is wonderful.

Miss Mabel, Labrador are so cute: I do the dogsitter for a funny labrador sometimes... and puts her huge head on my lap everytime she wants something.

Athena, Frankie, Chaliepud, Bobblybear .. thank you. :friends3:

I don't know if I already said this before, but in one of the Reuben films that I've watched he's chasing this little plastic ball on some terrace. I like it that the ball's plastic, because it's slippery against the terrace floor, and when Reuben goes near it and starts to push it, the ball moves incredibly fast and it bounces off to all directions! It seemed like a real good workout for Reuben, it's like the ball had a mind of its own :D

That's one of his favorite toys but we can only let him play with it outside as it is so loud and it damages furniture. :thud: Also because it's so big he struggles to get it in his mouth and often it just goes shooting off along the ground. :D

Bobblybear, Reuben must be a real fun.

He certainly is; he's very entertaining to watch. He's got so much personality and intelligence. :D

That's one of his favorite toys but we can only let him play with it outside as it is so loud and it damages furniture. :thud:

How can it damage the furniture? That's odd! But yeah, best bet to keep the rough play outside :D

Also because it's so big he struggles to get it in his mouth and often it just goes shooting off along the ground. :D

Yeah, that's what was so funny about the video, the ball kept shooting off to who knows which direction and Reuben had a heck of a time keeping up :lol:

Edited by frankie