Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Thanks. :smile: I hope everything goes well for your Mabel too. Sounds like she is on the road to recovery. Did the vet say what cause the stomach infection? Might be the same as Reuben, with the medications from the spay throwing the natural bacteria out of balance. It's very very worrying, especially because they can't tell us where they hurt or how they feel. :console:

There is no further information coming. Except a hint that maybe they might have nicked something where bacteria got into. It's more complicated with a spaying. With my other dogs I never had problems after the operation. However, Mabel was very, very sick before with the infection. So, it stands to reason that a bit of that infection could have gotten left behind. And, Mabel reacted terribly with the stuff they gave her to sleep. She had a panic attack and screamed in fear. It was terrible to see and hear. She doesn't seem to have any ill feelings towards the vet though. Keeps going there with wagging tail. Thank Goodness!

Tonight she kept smacking her lips again and licking her paws, a sure sign that she has an upset stomach. So, maybe I spoke too soon. She does have to get used to the new food too. I'm hopeful that this is the cause. 

I hope your furface has a good night and therefore you too.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh your poor doggies, it so sad when they are feeling so poorly and they just don't understand why.. My old girl wasn't herself this morning and I was so worried that this was going to be the start of the end for her but fortunately she has rallied through the day. I know she can't have that much longer (she was 15 in January) but as they say in Les Mis, One day more! (Please..)

CP, what a lovely old age for a dog to acquire.  I hope all is well now.Most of my dogs have only gone to 12. I'm hoping Mabel will go longer, her mother lived to be 14. Although they do say that smaller dogs live longer than larger ones. My girlfriend has a Jack Russel that is already 17! Another friend of mine has boxers and they only average 8 years. Isn't that weird.

Reuben seems to be on the mend and has perked up so much. He's back to being a typical lab and constantly begging for food, but unfortunately for him he's stuck with chicken and rice for now.

Chalie, 15 is a very grand age! Glad to hear she's feeling better :boogie:

Miss Mabel, I've always thought spaying was quite a major operation. So sorry that she suffered through the anaesthesia; it must have been terrifying to see.

Thanks, Pontalba. It's is very worrying when they are not well.

Here are some 'before' and 'after' pics of Reuben:

Sad Reuben:

post-7534-0-04170000-1366389398_thumb.jpg

Happy Reuben (can always tell he's back to his usual self when he runs around collecting socks!):

post-7534-0-38274200-1366389404_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobblybear

I'm glad to hear Reuben is feeling better BB, keep us posted.. :). How is Mabel doing now MM?

Sadly Honey isn't doing so well now, we think she had a stroke/TIA of some kind this evening and she wet herself and couldn't stand up. :(. I called the vet and they said if we could get her settled to wait till morning and see how she is then.. I think this may have been what happened a few nights ago as there were a couple of puddles in the morning and she wasn't herself, so this could be a steady decline from now on. :(. I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight so I can hear if she tries to get up or is distressed, fortunately my parents are visiting so I can make an emergency run to the vets if need be.. I was taught the mantra 'better a week too soon than a day too late' a long time ago and have always promised my dogs I will not let them suffer and I intend to fulfil that promise if I need to.. :(

Oh no, Chalie I'm so sorry to hear about Honey. :( How is she this morning? I agree with your mantra, though it doesn't make it any easier. All you can do is be with her, and make sure she is as comfortable as she can be.  Their time with us is too short, so I always try to take comfort in the thought that I have given them the best life they could have possibly had. Please keep us updated with how she goes today. :friends0:

Thanks all, she has rallied well today actually, I obviously didn't walk her this morning but she has been up and about and still keen to eat (though with her I think that will be the last thing to go!!). From what the Vet said on the phone last night and the fact that she is perkier today it's likely she has vestibular disease which apparently is common in older dogs and cats, and maybe other animals.. I'm just praying it doesn't happen again as I can't let her keep going through that. I will take her to the Vets in the morning so they can do a neuro check and maybe simple blood tests to see if her thyroid tablets need adjusting as I read that hyperthyroidism can also trigger vestibular disease too..

She is snoozing happily now and no doubt looking forward to her roast dinner in an hour or two. ;)

I'm so glad to hear she's made an improvement! :boogie: I've never heard of vestibular disease; I shall have to google it.

Reuben is pretty much back to normal but his appetite seems to have shot through the roof. I wonder if it's because he went without food for a day and a half. He's certainly eaten enough since then to make up for it, so I don't know where this hunger has come from. It can't be from the neutering can it?? Or maybe he's just antsy because he hasn't had a proper run, and it's translating itself via food? He's constantly begging and running to his food bowl. He's outrageous! :blink:

Is he on steroids BB?  They make them soooo hungry!  If not maybe it's boredom.. Maybe you could hide treats and make a game of it, stuff a kong, or use a treat ball if you have one? Poor Reuben, he won't understand why he can't have a good run. :)

Honey had another 'episode' a couple of hours ago so it's another night on the sofa for me and a visit to our Vet tomorrow morning, I'm not feeling particularly optimistic at the moment but I knew it had to happen at some point, makes it harder that Steve left the country last weekend and won't be home for another 4 weeks... :(

Charlie so sorry to hear about your Honey. I also have not heard of that particular disease. Good luck with the Vet visit. Hope it's positive. I agree with your mantra. I keep an eagle eye on my pets. We used to have two cats but unfortunately they both passed of old age.

BB, I'm so glad Reuben is doing better. The eating can be a side effect of the whole operation. Hopefully he will settle down in a week or two.

Mabel is very sluggish and did barf on saturday night/sunday morning. I woke up to it. Not nice. I have to call the vet tomorrow for an update. More later. I hope that soon all of us will only have positive things to say about our lovely pets.

Honey hasn't had any episodes today (yet, touch wood!) she enjoyed a short walk and was even chasing Obi and his ball, then she found a ball so was happy to carry that around for a bit. I walked in a loop so I was never more than a hundred yards or so from the car as I could probably carry her that far if need be! The Vet has said her heart and blood pressure are excellent and drew some blood to recheck her thyroid, will hopefully get the results in the morning to know whether her Soloxine dose needs to be adjusted. She certainly isn't feeling amazing but hopefully she just needs a few days to get over whatever has been going on with her. I'd really love her to still be here for next time Steve is home from work (20th May).

I hope Mabel is back to normal sometime soon MM, do let us know how you get on at the Vets. Whereabouts are you? Just wondering when your tomorrow is compared to mine in the UK.. :)

update! They haven't the finest idea what is making Mabel throwup so much. Extra pills, new diet food for the kidneys (just in case). And, if at the end of this week things haven't changed, we will have an echo made of her tummy and see is there is anything in there giving her cause to puke. Today as gone well...so far.

The vet even went to far as to go for a small with with us to see if she could notice anything amiss. Mabel did all her bodily functions which told a positive tale. But, the vet noticed that her back was a bit stiff and probably giving her some pain. Which may be why she is so slow with walking. It's just difficult to have an elderly dog who was always 'young in spirit' suddendly turn into an old lady. I'm trying to keep positive about this. I do love my mutt.

Sorry to hear Mabel still isn't feeling great, I hope the vet gets to the bottom of things soon.. Has the Vet recommended any supplements to maybe help her with her movement?

Update on Honey: she has been quite poorly this week, the Vet confirmed it was Vestibular Disease and she has clearly felt awful with vertigo like symptoms, her thyroid levels were found to be low (she's been on Soloxine for a couple of years now) and that can be a trigger so the Vet has increased her dose, she has also had some anti nausea tablets and some Vivitonin which widens the capillaries to improve blood flow to the brain and other organs, muscles etc..

It has been a definite waiting game and she has turned a bit of a corner today, she is much less wobbly and has spent a bit of time in the garden with me, she will only eat when I hand feed her small amounts and I am still having to give her water via a syringe as she doesn't want to do it herself yet.

I have no idea as to whether we are over the worst so will have to see how things go but I'm feeling more optimistic than I was yesterday! Please keep your fingers crossed for my old girl, I know we can't have that long left with her but I'd love another few months. :)