Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

I've been reading the last two posts and feel for your pets.

I have a chocolate lab of 10 yrs who recently had to get spayed due to a sudden womb infection. It was terrible to go through. We almost lost her.

since the operation she is having trouble holding down her food. Sometimes she will go more than a couple of days without puking on the floor. Most days, however, she is puking once a day. She already is being fed 4 times a day to combat this since the vet thinks she had a chronic stomach infection. So, yes, tomorrow I also will be calling the vet for another appointment.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rueben will be just fine.  I do believe it's more traumatic for us than it is for the pets.  Under normal circumstances of course. 

I speak as someone that has had many, many cats and dogs spayed and neutered! In fact, for one particularly recalcitrant cat I actually stayed in the room, and took him home immediately.  That cat is so nutz the vet didn't want to keep him there. LOL  Of course I've known this vet since we moved here in 1995, and he knows I watch my cats like a hawk.

I miss having dogs.  We always had both, but the last of my dogs passed about 3 years ago.  And the above mentioned nutz cat hates dogs, so the choice is easy.  drat.

Rueben will be just fine.  I do believe it's more traumatic for us than it is for the pets.  Under normal circumstances of course. 

I speak as someone that has had many, many cats and dogs spayed and neutered! In fact, for one particularly recalcitrant cat I actually stayed in the room, and took him home immediately.  That cat is so nutz the vet didn't want to keep him there. LOL  Of course I've known this vet since we moved here in 1995, and he knows I watch my cats like a hawk.

I miss having dogs.  We always had both, but the last of my dogs passed about 3 years ago.  And the above mentioned nutz cat hates dogs, so the choice is easy.  drat.

How many cats do you currently have pontalba?

We have 6 cats.  The eldest (a female) is coming up on 20 in a few months.  Next are 3 calico sisters, 15 years old, and the two youngest are 10 (male) and 8 (female).  It's the 10 year old male that is such a Tartar. :)

Thanks pontalba, sounds great, they live long your cats. Are they indoor cats then?

They are all indoor now.  Some used to go outside, but since Hurricane Katrina in 2005 I haven't let them out. 

Tuffy, the eldest, climbed up on the barn roof and went through a hole made by a branch in the storm, fortunately she only landed on a fence ceiling, but I had to cut her out of there.  I wasn't going to take another chance like that, she could have broken her leg. 

Hi - thanks for the well-wishes for Reuben!

The vet rang at about 1pm and said he was quite distressed so we could pick him up at 2pm instead of the usual 5pm. Poor thing - I could hear him over the phone yipping and whining. When we got there at 2pm, I could hear him as soon as I came in - he must have been driving them potty, bless him. He was all groggy, but I was so relieved to see him.

He was whining and shivering all evening (which was so stressful) and pacing, but he didn't try to lick his stitches. He ended up on our bed in the night, even though he's not meant to jump up on anything!! He stayed up on the bed all night, whining (and husband ended up sleeping on the sofa, because he didn't want to move him), but he seems a lot better this morning. No more whining and his eyes don't have that glazed dopey look anymore. He ate some food (well, he wolfed it down) and he's lying down snoozing now. We haven't put a lampshade on him yet, as I think it would stress him out (he's quite high-strung). He goes back to the vet tomorrow for a post-op check, and then his stitches will be in for another week or so. I suspect he's going to drive us bonkers, as he's only allowed on short leash-walks, and he's used to off-leash runs several times a week.

Miss Mabel, I hope your lab gets better. Sounds like she's having a rough time of it at the moment. :console:

Great to hear he's doing well BB, when Obi had a recent op on his groin we put a pair of our sons pyjama shorts on him and that was enough to discourage his nibbling, he hates the colours too and normally manages to destroy them within hours! :)

Great to hear he's doing well BB, when Obi had a recent op on his groin we put a pair of our sons pyjama shorts on him and that was enough to discourage his nibbling, he hates the colours too and normally manages to destroy them within hours! :)

I've been threatening him with an old pair of undies ( :D ), but he seems to be leaving the stitches alone for the most part. I do have to keep an eye on him though.

Thanks, Athena. :smile:

@Miss Mabel

I hope your dog feels better soon :(

@bobblybear

My best wishes to Reuben! Hopefully he'll feel better in a few days.

@pontabla

Wow, 6 cats! That's a lot :).

Thanks Athena,

The vet will call today or tomorrow with the results of the blood works. Then we will go on from there. It's nothing to do with her teeth. Just her stomach, the question is where is it coming from and how to fix it.

I've been reading the last two posts and feel for your pets.

I have a chocolate lab of 10 yrs who recently had to get spayed due to a sudden womb infection. It was terrible to go through. We almost lost her.

since the operation she is having trouble holding down her food. Sometimes she will go more than a couple of days without puking on the floor. Most days, however, she is puking once a day. She already is being fed 4 times a day to combat this since the vet thinks she had a chronic stomach infection. So, yes, tomorrow I also will be calling the vet for another appointment.

I hope she is feeling better soon MM, what is her name?  Was it Pyrometra?  If so, it can take a while to get over and often complications arise.. what are you feeding her?  She might benefit from small portions of very bland food, like you would give a dog after a bout of sickness/diarroeah (sp?!)

Do let us know how she gets on, it' so hard when our furry friends are poorly.  :friends3:

MM...

there is a prescription canned food that my vet gives me for the cats and for the dogs that is very mild and easy on their stomach.  It's by Science Diet, A/D http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html

It sounds as though the food she's getting might be too strong?  A/D is very, very mild.

Hope she is better soon!

BB very happy to hear Ruben is home safe and sound. :)  It's a trial sometimes isn't it.  But soooo worth it. :D

Thanks Pontalba.

He's not doing very well today. He had us up several times in the night with diarrhea. He saw the vet this morning as a post-op check, and we mentioned it and he seemed a bit surprised by it. Then, when we brought him home from the vet he vomited several times. :negative:  We're not going to feed him for the rest of the day (vet's recommendation) and then tomorrow start him off on a bit of boiled chicken and rice. It must be reaction to the surgery/anaesthetic surely? Or maybe we made the mistake of giving him rich food the following day? :wacko:  He seems perky enough, and his temperature is normal. Hopefully he'll be better tomorrow.

Well, good news. It's not her liver. It's not her kidneys. It's nog diabetes.

We got new pills for her. To keep her from vomiting and an antiacid. Plus they gave us a new type of food that we have to soak for at least 1/2 hr. before we give it to her. All very expensive. But if our Mabel (means loveable, which is why we choose it) gets better, I'll be happy. Naturally, before I started on the pills, she threw up this afternoon, AFTER I finished mopping the floor!! Go figure.

Yes, it was Pyrometra. Which I had to look up first via google. :P

So, if all goes well with the new food and meds, Mabel should be better. I'm just hoping she is not going to have to stay on this food as it is super expensive. After the operation we went from normal kibble to Pressed kibble, which was supossed to help her stomach more than regular kibble by falling apart as soon as it mixed with her stomach juices.Unlike reg kibble which just forms a ball in the stomach. The vet wasn't too impressed with this type of food. We shall just have to be patient and hope it's not an ulcer.

MM...

there is a prescription canned food that my vet gives me for the cats and for the dogs that is very mild and easy on their stomach.  It's by Science Diet, A/D http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html

It sounds as though the food she's getting might be too strong?  A/D is very, very mild.

Hope she is better soon!

BB very happy to hear Ruben is home safe and sound. :)  It's a trial sometimes isn't it.  But soooo worth it. :D

I've had her using this canned food when she had an infection causing the runs and throwing up. This is something different. Thanks for the info though.

Thanks Pontalba.

He's not doing very well today. He had us up several times in the night with diarrhea. He saw the vet this morning as a post-op check, and we mentioned it and he seemed a bit surprised by it. Then, when we brought him home from the vet he vomited several times. :negative:  We're not going to feed him for the rest of the day (vet's recommendation) and then tomorrow start him off on a bit of boiled chicken and rice. It must be reaction to the surgery/anaesthetic surely? Or maybe we made the mistake of giving him rich food the following day? :wacko:  He seems perky enough, and his temperature is normal. Hopefully he'll be better tomorrow.

Sometimes the anaesthetic can cause bowel problems.  Poor baby. :(  But since his temperature is normal, at least it isn't infection.  /phew!/

Well, good news. It's not her liver. It's not her kidneys. It's nog diabetes.

We got new pills for her. To keep her from vomiting and an antiacid. Plus they gave us a new type of food that we have to soak for at least 1/2 hr. before we give it to her. All very expensive. But if our Mabel (means loveable, which is why we choose it) gets better, I'll be happy. Naturally, before I started on the pills, she threw up this afternoon, AFTER I finished mopping the floor!! Go figure.

Yes, it was Pyrometra. Which I had to look up first via google. :P

So, if all goes well with the new food and meds, Mabel should be better. I'm just hoping she is not going to have to stay on this food as it is super expensive. After the operation we went from normal kibble to Pressed kibble, which was supossed to help her stomach more than regular kibble by falling apart as soon as it mixed with her stomach juices.Unlike reg kibble which just forms a ball in the stomach. The vet wasn't too impressed with this type of food. We shall just have to be patient and hope it's not an ulcer.

Oh, I hope it straightens out soon.  That is good you can give her pills and not an injection.

I don't mean to turn this into a 'poor Reuben' thread, but he's going back to the vet this afternoon.

He was up all night, pretty much every hour with diarrhea. By early morning, he was passing watery blood. :cry: He threw up in the early morning after licking some ice cubes, but he has managed to keep some water down at about 9am. He hasn't touched his chicken and rice, either. We let him out about half hour ago, and he passed more blood. I'm hoping it's just a burst vessel or something from all the straining; it's very scary to see. :cry:

Oh dear, BB, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they can help him. Passing blood sounds bad, hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. I'm sure the vets can pin point his problem.

Thanks Miss Mabel. :smile:

Just a quick update. Reuben went to the vet and they suspect it was either the anaesthesia or pain-killers that have mucked up his digestive tract. His temperature's a tiny bit raised, so they gave him an antibiotic injection as well as an anti-sickness one. It must have done something because as soon as we got him home he was at his water bowl drinking away. He's eaten a bit of chicken and rice - not his usual portion size but better than nothing. We have a full course of antibiotics to give him, plus some antacids, and probiotics to put the good bugs back in his guts. He also has some electrolyte supplements, in case he wasn't drinking. His diarrhea will probably take a while to clear up; the vet didn't seem to think the blood was a huge problem, as long as it wasn't black and tarry. We're taking him back on Saturday for another checkup. Poor thing, I'm surprised he doesn't hate going to vet as he's been poked, prodded and injected to an inch of his life.

He's on our bed at the moment, catching up on some sleep. Fingers crossed he will be better. :smile:

That sounds promising. It seems that a routine snip-snip operation can become a problem. With your Reuben and our Mabel. I am so glad to hear that he is doing better. I know that when my dog feels bad, so do I. I'm sure you have the same. Good luck with the next few daays.

Thanks. :smile: I hope everything goes well for your Mabel too. Sounds like she is on the road to recovery. Did the vet say what cause the stomach infection? Might be the same as Reuben, with the medications from the spay throwing the natural bacteria out of balance. It's very very worrying, especially because they can't tell us where they hurt or how they feel. :console: