Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Eheheh.. not yet. Right now he's still like "WTF is that thing?", watching her from a distance and sniffing after her when she's been somewhere, they only sniffed eachother with their faces close two times or something. But no problem, we'll manage. Time we have. ;)

What a difference though.. Jamie is 6,1 kilo and Fay 1450 grams. Wow. Just checked her mouth today too, she's changing teeth already, three of her front teeth (the little ones, two bottom and one upper jaw) are gone. Awww.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

I have a kitten! I adopted a gorgeous 2-month old ginger kitten from the RSPCA. Abby suggested that I name him Jasper, after Jasper Fforde, and I think it suits him perfectly. Thanks Abby! (And I hope I haven't 'ruined' the name for any future cats you may have!)

I've taken loads of pictures but haven't had a chance to put them on my 'puter yet. I haven't had much time on the computer this past weekend because Jasper was a little fond of walking across the keyboard. :) I'll post pics in the next day or two.

It turns out that I didn't need to worry about toilet-training him because he was already trained. Yay! We haven't had any accidents at all. I need to train him to stay out of the kitchen though. I think I'll try spraying a little water on him tonight. He's been clawing the carpet and lounge a bit, but I got another scratching post (he doesn't seem interested in the first one I bought) and he's taken to that OK.

Any tips on how I can get him to stop clawing me when he gets onto my lap? I have multiple scratches already from him digging in when he's walking over me. :blush:

ETA: Also, where do cats stand in terms of cold/hot weather? Is Jasper like to overheat on a hot day and, if so, what can I do to cool him down?

Edited by Kylie

Congrats on your new kitten, Kylie, and Jasper's such a cute name! :D I can't wait to see photos! Have you left him alone while you've been at work yet?

I'm afraid I don't really have good advice on his clawing you. Kittens just like to claw at things, and you don't necessarily want to discourage him from getting into your lap, you know? It's great to have all those scratching posts though, so hopefully it'll keep him from clawing carpet and furniture! :) I remember well that my arms were perpetually covered in scratches from Sascha and Owen :lol:

As far as weather, I don't think cats mind being somewhat warm since they like lying in the sun or near heat, but I wouldn't think they'd like the stifling or really muggy kind of heat. If I see my cat go and lay on tile floor (like in the kitchen or bathroom) then that must mean she's really hot since she never does that otherwise. I just keep plenty of water around and if I know it's going to be extremely hot outside I'll put the air conditioner on low or else I'll leave the ceiling fan on all day.

I hope he gets settled in nicely, Kylie!

Hi Kylie, how are you? and how is Jasper?

Is Jasper purring as he is scratching and lifting his paws up and down and is he is getting comfortable?, if so, that comes from where they are young and getting milk from their Mum as peacefield said you don't want to deter him from sitting on your lap but maybe a wee squirt of water might stop him.

I am basically saying what peacefield said :) Quinn and Dylan both have their 'hot spots' and their 'cold spots', leave plenty of water out and a few windows slightly opened when the house is empty, if he is going out, he will find shade too, I hope that helps hen :)

A new photo of Lucy (my friend's pomeranian), my new buddy :giggle: ~

WeeLucy.jpg

Edited by Weave

Lucy's absolutely a-do-ra-ble!!! :kiss: My cousin has a kleinspitz-pomeranian mix and he looks just like Lucy. My cousin's daughter is now about 1,5 years old and she and Kössi (the dog) are such good pals, she's really careful around him and cuddles him and plays nicely with him. And sometimes she just runs all over the house and Kössi runs and follows her, sometimes hitting the wall. Poor silly Kössi!

Lucy's absolutely a-do-ra-ble!!! :kiss: My cousin has a kleinspitz-pomeranian mix and he looks just like Lucy. My cousin's daughter is now about 1,5 years old and she and Kössi (the dog) are such good pals, she's really careful around him and cuddles him and plays nicely with him. And sometimes she just runs all over the house and Kössi runs and follows her, sometimes hitting the wall. Poor silly Kössi!

Aw so cute, Lucy is the same, she just runs around all day, playing with the other dogs and only stopping for the necessaries and hugs :)

Is Jasper purring as he is scratching and lifting his paws up and down and is he is getting comfortable?, if so, that comes from where they are young and getting milk from their Mum as peacefield said you don't want to deter him from sitting on your lap but maybe a wee squirt of water might stop him.

Yes, he often lifts his paws up and down when he comes to me, but he doesn't come to me very often. :( Is this likely to change over time? I know cats are more independent than dogs, but my visions of him sleeping on my lap haven't come to fruition yet. It's all I can do to just hold onto him for a minute. He seems quieter in my arms if I rock him like a baby. :blush: Obviously I don't force the issue.

Yesterday we had a bit of a disaster. I had put a plastic liner in the kitty litter tray to make it easier for me to clean down the line. I guess Jasper didn't like it because when I came home it looked like he had wrestled with the liner (tearing holes in it) and then had pooped on the lid of the tray. He must have stepped in it also because there were poohy paw prints all throughout the bathroom. Oh dear! Needless to say, I haven't put a tray liner in the tray again. On the upside, the bathroom received a clean such as it has never received before. :giggle:

Yes, he often lifts his paws up and down when he comes to me, but he doesn't come to me very often. :( Is this likely to change over time? I know cats are more independent than dogs, but my visions of him sleeping on my lap haven't come to fruition yet. It's all I can do to just hold onto him for a minute. He seems quieter in my arms if I rock him like a baby. :blush: Obviously I don't force the issue.

Yesterday we had a bit of a disaster. I had put a plastic liner in the kitty litter tray to make it easier for me to clean down the line. I guess Jasper didn't like it because when I came home it looked like he had wrestled with the liner (tearing holes in it) and then had pooped on the lid of the tray. He must have stepped in it also because there were poohy paw prints all throughout the bathroom. Oh dear! Needless to say, I haven't put a tray liner in the tray again. On the upside, the bathroom received a clean such as it has never received before. :giggle:

It will change Kylie, as he gets older, he will do it less and less, he might still do it when he is trying to get comfy, he is happy in his home, just some cats take a bit longer to work out the situation :), I am sorry for mentioning my cats but Dylan sat our knees (well everywhere) when we got him, with Quinn it took months for her to sit on anyone's lap, she did come up for cuddles but it was on her terms, she is still the same now, like your good self, we never forced the issue, all cats have their own personalities as you know and remember, you are Jasper's pet :) Its all trial and error hen, especially in the early days, we had problems with the cat litter tray liners too :) I hope this helps hen :)

Cats are funny wee souls, at the moment, mines are fed, contented and having a snooze :)

My cat is currently in the naughty room for pulling half a dozen books out of my bookcase (rarish Beatles books, I might add!).

Oh you have a naughty room! (tsk tsk Jasper!), we put Dylan and Quinn in the hallway when they are naughty (I.e just Quinn!), I think she was living out there at one point :giggle:

Wow I wish I had thought of a naughty room for my guinea pigs instead if I want Squeak Squeak to get out of the lounge I have to corner him and shoo him back into the kitchen which usually ends up with me shifting heavy bits of furniture around and getting all hot and bothered whist he darts from side to side....the only effective way I have is to nonchalantly walk into the kitchen myself fake opening the fridge whilst all the time talking to Pickle...he gets all curious and is immediately there thinking food might have arrived in his cage..... I think they rule my house not me :rolleyes:

Wow I wish I had thought of a naughty room for my guinea pigs instead if I want Squeak Squeak to get out of the lounge I have to corner him and shoo him back into the kitchen which usually ends up with me shifting heavy bits of furniture around and getting all hot and bothered whist he darts from side to side....the only effective way I have is to nonchalantly walk into the kitchen myself fake opening the fridge whilst all the time talking to Pickle...he gets all curious and is immediately there thinking food might have arrived in his cage..... I think they rule my house not me :rolleyes:

I think you are right Pickle, pets rule us :) I love how you acted all nonchalantly with Squeak Squeak :giggle:

Edited by Weave

More Fay pics, from today, and the one of her and Jamie is a scoop, them being sort of peacefully together (Jamie is a spoiled brat that doesn't know his own power and tends to smack Fay too hard).. on their scratching post.

Fay13032011-3.jpg

Fay13032011-1.jpg

On this one you can see she's making that chattering sound cats make when they see a birdie.. at least, Jamie and Fay both do that.

JamieenFay12maart2011.jpg

Ohhh and I forgot. Made two short vids of Fay;

Edited by Univerze

Aww, they're all so cute, Univerze! :)

I bought Jasper a new toy this weekend. It's a kind of spiral thing with a mouse on the top. He has already managed to tear the mouse off the top. rolleyes.gif Oh well, I guess he has two toys now. I also picked up a long box from a local hardware store and cut holes in the ends to make a sort of tunnel. My house is looking pretty messy with all his toys around the place!

Dylan looks a little bit evil in that photo! huh.gif But they're both lovely.

Jasper has been giving me a bit of grief in the last few days. He attempted to jump on my back again this morning and really dug his claws in. :( I really need to stop brushing my hair around him. Coincidentally, I just watched the episode of Gilmore Girls where Kirk gets a cat (also named Kirk) and they don't get along very well. He shows up with more and more scratches throughout the episode until he says he has scratches to 60% of his body. giggle.gif

Dylan looks a little bit evil in that photo! huh.gif But they're both lovely.

Jasper has been giving me a bit of grief in the last few days. He attempted to jump on my back again this morning and really dug his claws in. :( I really need to stop brushing my hair around him. Coincidentally, I just watched the episode of Gilmore Girls where Kirk gets a cat (also named Kirk) and they don't get along very well. He shows up with more and more scratches throughout the episode until he says he has scratches to 60% of his body. giggle.gif

:giggle: sorry to hear about the scratches hen :friends3: