Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Aw Chrissy, they're wonderful memories to have of your beloved dog. empathy.gif

I wish I could offer you some words of comfort but I'm nowhere near as eloquent as you I'm afraid. All I can offer are endless friends0.gif and the knowledge that you and your husband are in my thoughts.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

That's way, way, way beyond contented. with bells on! :lol:

:lol: :lol: he is very loved (and he knows it :D)

Edited by Weave

Aww! *dies* He is so adorable, Paula! What a snuggleable little guy!

Thanks Abby, he does loves to snuggle, he also loves cuddling in as soon as you sit down, he is sitting here patiently waiting for me to sit back so he can sit on me :lol:

Edited by Weave

• 3 weeks later...

I know I am such a cat Mum! :giggle: :giggle: Quinn watching a pre Studio Ghibli movie (Lupin III~The Castle of Cagliostro), she's tuned into the car chase scene ~ :)

QuinnwatchingStudioGhibli-1.jpg

'This is much better than Gothika' :lol:

Edited by Weave

^awww, the cutest. What is it with cats and tv? jamie too, watches telly, yesterday there was this show on some documentary channel mom watches, called "cats of claw hill" and you should have seen him, he recognized the cats and birdies, even when they didn't make any sound. Dogs just don't do that, ours never showed any interest in telly.

More Jamie pic spam.

Buy a new roll of carpet, see what he does? He crawls in there, with his toy.

jamievloerbedekking.jpg

Him on his radiator cat bed. Snooze much?

jamiebedje.jpg

Jamie vs. my unmade bed. No, I did not put him there, he crawled in there alll by himself. Can he BE more lazy?

jamiebed050111.jpg

Great cat pics Weave and Univerze! I especially love the one of Jamie in the roll of carpet. That's a terrific photo!

Alrighty...I'm planning on getting a cat in a few months' time (I'd get one now but I'm going away for a month so it doesn't make sense just now). I'm going to need plenty of advice because I've never had a pet before (poor deprived me!) How long do you think it would take to toilet train a kitty? Any other advice is appreciated. :)

^Well for one, it is important where you get the kitty. We've only had one cat so far.. but we got Jamie from a family, mom, dad, three kids. Mother cat was very housetrained.. she (according to the family) dragged her kittens to the litterbox wherever she needed to go, so they learned from that. Jamie needed no training. We have two dogs, previously not used to cats.. so at the beginning we kept him into his cat carrier whenever things got too tough. We took him out as much as we can, and then put him onto the litterbox too.. he always did what he wanted when we needed. ;)

Cat scratch poles are important. And, one of those thingies you squirt water with onto a plant. Use it when kitty does something he/she is not allowed, they hate that, being squirted wet. Works like a charm. For us, even being our first cat, no problems. No furniture or curtains got ruined, Jamie's a well behaved cat. Just be consistent, and if you're out of home a lot, when kitty's not trained yet, see about securing one room for him/her. Maybe even the bathroom, not much they can wreck there. ;)

Ah, thanks Univerze. You just answered my next question, about leaving the cat alone. I will be gone during the day so do you think it's OK to keep the cat confined to one room? It would be more or less the kitty's room and will be well-provided with scratching posts, toys, food, water etc. But I would feel a little mean leaving it shut up in one room. Would it be more inclined to get into mischief if it has the run of the whole house?

I'm planning on getting a cat from the RSPCA (pound) so I guess I would be starting from scratch with toilet training it. I mean, I might get lucky and get one that is already trained, but I won't get my hopes up!

Thanks for your help. :)

Hi Kylie, how are you? :) I am so excited for you, cats are the best pets :) I got Dylan from a pet store, something that I would not advocate because I don't think cats or dogs should be sold from pet stores but that's just me, so please excuse my soap~boxing, I took Dylan because he was the only one left and because the owner of the shop told me that 'the white one was giving him nothing but trouble' :lol: I grew up with cats, and if a cat knows its safe, the trust builds quickly, with Dylan it took ages and he attached himself to me more than my husband at the time. We got Quinn from a neighbour of my Mum's, Quinn was just happy she was getting attention :lol: and love :), anyway I am waffling on, don't go by anything I say hen because when you have the cat, it all changes.

Dylan had to be trained to go to the litter box, every so often, I would carry him and put in the litter box, so he knew the location, Quinn didn't because like Jamie, her Mum had taken her to the litter box.

I wouldn't leave a cat in the one room for one day because you would have to move the litter box, therefore confusing them, as long as they have plenty of toys, access to a window, plenty of food, they are happy, are you planning to let your cat out or will he/she been a house cat?

Getting a cat from RSPCA is a good idea (they need more people like you) there is a lot of cats out there in need of homes, if we ever get another cat, we will go to the RSPCA or the Cats Protection League (I think that is their name). I am sorry for waffling on Kylie and I hope some of this was helpful, my best advice is, remember your are the cat's pet not the other way around :lol:

^awww, the cutest. What is it with cats and tv? jamie too, watches telly, yesterday there was this show on some documentary channel mom watches, called "cats of claw hill" and you should have seen him, he recognized the cats and birdies, even when they didn't make any sound. Dogs just don't do that, ours never showed any interest in telly.

More Jamie pic spam.

Buy a new roll of carpet, see what he does? He crawls in there, with his toy.

jamievloerbedekking.jpg

Him on his radiator cat bed. Snooze much?

jamiebedje.jpg

Jamie vs. my unmade bed. No, I did not put him there, he crawled in there alll by himself. Can he BE more lazy?

jamiebed050111.jpg

Oh Jamie is adorable Univerze, I love the one of him on the bed, they just plant themselves anywhere, Quinn does it all the time especially after I have just made the bed and gives me a look that says 'I dare you to move me' (but I never do) :)

Haha no I can hardly ever get myself to move him when he looks at me like that. Only maybe to pick him up, cuddle and put him back.

About the toilet training for kitties though, if you get TWO litterboxes, put one in the room you want to confine the cat in during the day (and leave that door open when you're home so kitty can use it then too), and one where ever you'd normally put it, your cat can't get confused. We have one on the bathroom upstairs, that's his usual one, and one just outside for when it's warmer and we have the door open. Oh, and if the cat does pee somewhere because they don't quite know how to use the litterbox yet, see about putting some litter on the pee, and then putting the dirty litter back into the box.. sounds icky maybe, but when jamie peed in his cat carrier, I did just that and after that.. he was even quicker with finding it. It smells like him there then, so he knows that place is for his pee. Is a little bit the same as with training dogs. ;)

We did confine him to the bathroom when he wasnt used to the dogs or the house yet, with toys, food and drink, scratching pole, no problem. IF you leave an untrained kitty alone in a house, they'll explore. With risk of putting their nails in everything and anything. We had a tiny bit of that with jamie with the carpet on the stairs and the rugs on the floor, but they're durable so they're not wrecked, and he doesn't do that anymore. Plus, the place where he kept scratching (at the top/landing of the stairs) we put this sort of scratching board, like a pole but eh, flat. So now he IS allowed to scratch there.

I guess it's just a matter of seeing how your cat acts, what his or her personality is like and working with what you get. Be consistent, most important. ;)

Another edit; this summer (in our holidays) we're getting another cat, a female kitten this time.. we're getting it from the pound/sort of RSPCA too (we don't quite have that here, but is for dumped kitties).. usually by summer they're full of kittens. You can get one for 95 euros, it's dewormed, has had the flea treatments and is vaccinated, is chipped, checked and you can get it spayed or neutered when they're 6 months old, all for that little amount of money.. goody goody.

Edited by Univerze

Oooh how exciting you're getting a cat, Kylie! I grew up always having a cat (and a dog too) and love having them around :D. I got my cat and her brother as kittens from the Humane Society (similar to the RSPCA) and it's so much easier toilet-training a cat than it is a dog! Ditto to what everything Univerz and Weave have said - excellent advice ;).

I could never let my cats alone to have the run of the house when they were kittens. They were into everything, and loved to knock over plants! It's a good idea to confine them to one room if you're not at home, at least until they become a little less curious :). A squirt bottle is a great idea, as is a scratching post although some cats aren't really inclined to scratch much.

I can't wait to see lots of pics, Kylie!

Sorry hen, I missed the point :blush: definitely when they are kittens keep them in the one room, we did that with Quinn because she was into everything! and yes indeed a squirt bottle is a good idea, it worked wonders with Quinn during her 'I can eat electric wires' phase! (which she still does occasionally) :rolleyes:

I love my dog Bella! She is a cavachon, about 7 months old (half bichon frise and the other King Charles Spaniel) and she is loving, fun and her fur is almost sheep like! The only picture I have is my profile picture but she loves posing for the camera and I can say that she is the best dog I have ever had! Cheesy smile! :D

Tammycat as ever, rules this house and was so impatient today with OH because he apparently wasn't getting the woodburner lit fast enough for her to lay by.

That's so cute wiccibat, cats totally rule :)

I love my dog Bella! She is a cavachon, about 7 months old (half bichon frise and the other King Charles Spaniel) and she is loving, fun and her fur is almost sheep like! The only picture I have is my profile picture but she loves posing for the camera and I can say that she is the best dog I have ever had! Cheesy smile! :D

Aw Bella sounds gorgeous Christie :)

• 3 weeks later...

We've got a new kitten! As of yesterday.. we were supposed to wait till summer, but there was one left at the shelter, so brother got it for mom as birthday gift.. it's a girl this time, her name is Fay (she was called something like "Meowy" in dutch but we called her Fay) and she's three months old. Aww. She's a little shy, but not as bad as the shelter said. She's playing and coming along not bad with Jamie and our two dogs. She's a little skinny, you can feel her entire spine, each vertebra even in the tail.. but that'll come around soon enough. She'll be spoilt rotten, though we're gonna watch she won't get fat, of course.

fayd1.jpg

fayd2.jpg

Edited by Univerze