Vlad: The Last Confession by C. C. Humphreys

Nollaig

Isn't it good how we all feel differently about these things! What I wonder is how is it that we do see things differently from one another? What makes one love a historical novel and another despise it? Or how is it that I find Stephen King sometimes gratuitous, and yet found Vlad (whilst certainly very grim in places) to be...hmmm...acceptable? Not really the right word to use, but I didn't find it out of place. Does this make sense? So, what makes us all so different? Is it cultural? Is it genetic? This isn't the correct thread now, is it? I'll have the Mods after me with a big stick...lurker.gif

I pretty much enjoyed Vlad, but it wasn't really the type of book I would usually read. It was quite graphic and disturbing and the writing style was driving me nuts because there were so many grammatical errors. I found it to be a bit of a slog compared to everyone else here, and I just couldn't wait to finish it and move on to something a bit more pleasant. Still, it was a very interesting read and led me to do a little more research on Vlad and that time period.

I've given the book to my brother because I think it will be much more suited to his tastes. :)

I'd have to agree with you, Kylie. I started off really enjoying it but then found it quite a slog. I'd also say that a big part of the problem was the writing style. It seemed very...simple, too simple as in quite amateurish. I found it very hard to get along with and struggled to finish it. I could appreciate the overall story though :)

Isn't it good how we all feel differently about these things! What I wonder is how is it that we do see things differently from one another? What makes one love a historical novel and another despise it? Or how is it that I find Stephen King sometimes gratuitous, and yet found Vlad (whilst certainly very grim in places) to be...hmmm...acceptable? Not really the right word to use, but I didn't find it out of place. Does this make sense? So, what makes us all so different? Is it cultural? Is it genetic? This isn't the correct thread now, is it? I'll have the Mods after me with a big stick...lurker.gif

Interesting thought. I think in the case of Vlad, we have a mawkish fascination with this character's life. I knew he had the title of Impaler but had given little thought as to how he achieved that title. I wasn't expecting a fairy tale and found also, the scenes referred to quite graphic but it did give us a clear view as to why he adopted that kind of torture. Having read it and thoroughly enjoying the book - I think I prefer Bram Stoker's man! :wink:

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Digging this thread up partially out of affection, partially because Humphreys has two new books out which I plan to read and review soon.

Sorry to hear it wasn't entirely your cup of tea Kylie and Mexicola. R.e. the writing style, I actually loved that it wasn't like say... The Historian, in which I nearly drowned and/or died of boredom trying to get to the end, though I LOVED the story. Vlad was far easier to read, and that suits me. I think it's a very accessible piece of historical fiction.

Hope anyone else who has picked this up since has enjoyed it, it's certainly still a favourite of mine and I've read it again since I last posted here! Actually, I have no idea why I haven't replied to a lot of the above posts. Where have I been? :giggle2:

I find what Mac said to be quite interesting also. I tend to feel the same as him - I think in my case it's because I know Vlad was a historical figure and many atrocities occured in his name and by his hand - historical fiction sort of gives a sense of reason to it all. Puts the method in the madness, as it were, and I think most people innately try to find the reasons for what seems like mindless carnage in which the human race turns on itself. In purely fictional novels, it can seem a little gratuitous, perhaps because it never really occured and we don't seek justification for anything.

Just my thoughts!