Music from the 80s and 90s

frankie

Me and a couple of my friends are having a party this Saturday and the theme is the 80s and the 90s. We're going to dress up according to the theme (I'm definitely going to have to get me a fanny pack!!) and we will also be jamming to the great music that was the 80s+90s. Now, as much as I can remember from those days and have a pretty good idea of what CDs and cassettes I'll be taking with me, what would you consider the greatest hits from the era? I'm hoping to get new ideas from you guys, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of great tunes.

My favorites are Pandora, Ace of Base, Dr Alban, Haddaway, 2Unlimited.... Wow, seems like it's all about Europe! I'm of course going to cover the great grunge bands as well, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

What songs would you be playing?

I shouldn't forget Bad Boys Blue, Take That, East17, Backstreet Boys, Björk,....

You've got to have some 80s New Romantics in there - Duran Duran; Adam And The Ants; Ultravox; Depeshe Mode; Spandau Ballet; Japan; Visage, etc.

Then you've got your Brit Pop - the likes of Kylie; Jason (both together and solo); Rick Astley; Bananarama; Matt Bianco, etc.

How about some big-haired rock and metal too - Bon Jovi; White Snake; Guns n Roses; Poison; Iron Maiden; Van Halen; Metallica; Queen (Only Brian May had the big hair, but they were the dog's dangly bits!), etc

Other worthy mentions go to - Michael Jackson; Prince; Madonna; Pet Shop Boys; Genesis; The Police; Eurythmics

Me and a couple of my friends are having a party this Saturday and the theme is the 80s and the 90s. We're going to dress up according to the theme (I'm definitely going to have to get me a fanny pack!!) and we will also be jamming to the great music that was the 80s+90s. Now, as much as I can remember from those days and have a pretty good idea of what CDs and cassettes I'll be taking with me, what would you consider the greatest hits from the era? I'm hoping to get new ideas from you guys, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of great tunes.

My favorites are Pandora, Ace of Base, Dr Alban, Haddaway, 2Unlimited.... Wow, seems like it's all about Europe! I'm of course going to cover the great grunge bands as well, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

What songs would you be playing?

I shouldn't forget Bad Boys Blue, Take That, East17, Backstreet Boys, Björk,....

Can I come??!! Like seriously would love it.

80's:

* Duran Duran

*Spandu Ballet

*Culture Club

*Blondie

*Michael Jackson

*Yazz

*Five Star

*Whitney Houston

* Flashdance, footloose and Dirty dancing Soundtracks.

*Wham!

*Human League

*Bros

*A-ha

*Banarama.

*Whitesnake

*Kiss

*The Bangles

*Kajagoogoo

90's

*BLur

*Oasis

*Take That

*Spice Girls

*Hanson

*Britney Spears

*Pj & Duncan

*Fat Boy Slim

*Shaggy

*Faithless

*Peter Andre

Hope this helps.

I'm concentrating mostly on the 80s since I love that music.

Tears for Fears (love Shout)

Eurythmics

New Order

INXS

Depeche Mode (thinking on the lines of Master & Servant)

Duran Duran

WHAM!

Talking Heads

PIL

Hope that helps some.

Here are my recommendations:

1980s:

Duran Duran

Def Leppard

Bon Jovi

Poison

Depeche Mode

The Cure

Madonna

Cyndi Lauper

Michael Jackson

Aerosmith

Culture Club

Metallica

1990s:

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

Alice in Chains

Counting Crows

Britney Spears

Green Day

Rancid

No Doubt

Nine Inch Nails

Offspring

We have a radio station called 'Absolute 80's' and they just play wall to wall 80's hits (I only found out about it when an electrician came to do some wiring and he asked if I'd put it on.) In the evening I think they even dispense with the DJ which is better because you don't get any waffle between songs. I can't listen to it for long because my hair starts to perm and shoulder pads grow but it's great for dancing around the room and hairbrush singing. There's an 'Absolute 90's' too.

recommended stuff:

Dirty Cash - Stevie V

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

Little Red Corvette - Prince

Word Up - Cameo

Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Into the Groove - Madonna

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Walk this Way - Run DMC/Aerosmith

Funkytown - Lipps Inc

Push It - Salt-n-Pepa

You Spin me Round (Like a Record) - Dead or Alive

I Feel for You - Chaka Khan

Gonna Make you Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory

Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite

Love Shack - B52's

Unbelievable - EMF

Praise You - Fatboy Slim

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

My Lovin (You're Never Gonna Get it) - En Vogue

Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

Killing me Softly - Fujees

Say My name - Destony's Child

Whatever you play it's going to be great because everyone likes a bit of retro.

Oh my, I love this topic and all the awesome music in it. : D We've been planning on a party like this, too - though we'd have a separate parties for the 80's and 90's.

I don't really have much to add, can't get my brain working properly at the moment. All the must haves have been said already, I think. Though... Mc Hammer's U Can't Touch This will surely make a great addition to the collection, haha. And hey, Suede is my favourite of the 90's brit pop.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I got some great new names to add to my list, I'd forgotten about so many bands and songs! :smile2:

You've got to have some 80s New Romantics in there - Duran Duran; Adam And The Ants; Ultravox; Depeshe Mode; Spandau Ballet; Japan; Visage, etc.

Then you've got your Brit Pop - the likes of Kylie; Jason (both together and solo); Rick Astley; Bananarama; Matt Bianco, etc.

How about some big-haired rock and metal too - Bon Jovi; White Snake; Guns n Roses; Poison; Iron Maiden; Van Halen; Metallica; Queen (Only Brian May had the big hair, but they were the dog's dangly bits!), etc

Other worthy mentions go to - Michael Jackson; Prince; Madonna; Pet Shop Boys; Genesis; The Police; Eurythmics

Your New Romantics suggestion was a good one because I'm betting other people would love those, eventhough I never listened to those myself. Apart from Duran Duran and Depeche Mode I've never even heard of the others!

A slight correction: Kylie and Jason are Australian ;) But I'm glad you mentioned them, Especially for You was an excellent song and I loved the music vid! Rick Astley and Bananarama are a MUST!

If you don't bring Michael Jackson its not really a 80's 90's party!

I have no idea how I could've forgotten about Mr M Jackson!! Thanks for reminding me :)

Can I come??!! Like seriously would love it.

80's:

* Duran Duran

*Spandu Ballet

*Culture Club

*Blondie

*Michael Jackson

*Yazz

*Five Star

*Whitney Houston

* Flashdance, footloose and Dirty dancing Soundtracks.

*Wham!

*Human League

*Bros

*A-ha

*Banarama.

*Whitesnake

*Kiss

*The Bangles

*Kajagoogoo

90's

*BLur

*Oasis

*Take That

*Spice Girls

*Hanson

*Britney Spears

*Pj & Duncan

*Fat Boy Slim

*Shaggy

*Faithless

*Peter Andre

Hope this helps.

CW, book a flight and come on over :lol: You'd be laughing your ass off when you see my costume. I might have to take some pics.

How about "New Kids on the Block"?

Of course! They were such a huge deal that I cannot understand how I can't remember any single one of their songs, I'm really embarrassed.

Here are my recommendations:

1980s:

Duran Duran

Def Leppard

Bon Jovi

Poison

Depeche Mode

The Cure

Madonna

Cyndi Lauper

Michael Jackson

Aerosmith

Culture Club

Metallica

1990s:

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden

Alice in Chains

Counting Crows

Britney Spears

Green Day

Rancid

No Doubt

Nine Inch Nails

Offspring

Ooooh, Cyndi Lauper and Culture Club, definitely. Grunge bands go without saying!! :lol: No Doubt is another great idea, and Offspring, eventhough I don't like them.

We have a radio station called 'Absolute 80's' and they just play wall to wall 80's hits (I only found out about it when an electrician came to do some wiring and he asked if I'd put it on.) In the evening I think they even dispense with the DJ which is better because you don't get any waffle between songs. I can't listen to it for long because my hair starts to perm and shoulder pads grow but it's great for dancing around the room and hairbrush singing. There's an 'Absolute 90's' too.

recommended stuff:

Dirty Cash - Stevie V

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

Little Red Corvette - Prince

Word Up - Cameo

Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Into the Groove - Madonna

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Walk this Way - Run DMC/Aerosmith

Funkytown - Lipps Inc

Push It - Salt-n-Pepa

You Spin me Round (Like a Record) - Dead or Alive

I Feel for You - Chaka Khan

Gonna Make you Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory

Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite

Love Shack - B52's

Unbelievable - EMF

Praise You - Fatboy Slim

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

My Lovin (You're Never Gonna Get it) - En Vogue

Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

Killing me Softly - Fujees

Say My name - Destony's Child

Whatever you play it's going to be great because everyone likes a bit of retro.

I'm glad you mentioned Rebel Yell, I have to remember that. And Unbelievable by EMF, and their other songs as well, I'm happy to own their cassette :)

The party's going to start in, say, 4 hours, and I'm just done with my sowing, I made some unbelievably gross MC Hammer pants :lol: I also have this t-shirt, and we're going to curl our hair 80s style, and I have these earrings that scream 80s. I also have this neon pink cap that says "Neon2", which was a hugely popular Finnish band in the early 90s. It's so gross!! And a fanny pack of course.

I'm currently listening to 2Unlimited on Spotify and it's definitely getting me into the groove. Now all I need to do is bake some brownies and I'm pretty much all set.

Oooh we're also going to do a music quizz, we're going to play some 80s and 90s tunes on Spotify and people will team up and try and recognise the songs and the bands/artist. We still need to figure out what the prizes are going to be. I bought these candy necklaces, they might do. I'm so incredibly excited, I've never been to a theme party before!! And a 80s 90s theme party, what could beat that?

Edit: TINA: Do you remember any Finnish bands/artists that are a must? So far we've got Neon2, Raptori and MC Nicke T, but I can't come up with any others. Ooooh and XL5 of course :lol: Oooh and Bomfunk Mc's!!

Edited by frankie

Hope you had a good time at your party, Frankie!! All the bands on this thread are bringing back SO many memories for me! Although the fashion was very painful, and I can just see you in your Hammer pants :lol:. You'll have to try and post photos! I was a big fan of neon colors at the time, and I also wore a lot of leg warmers (ugh, I'm so disappointed in myself). I was 17 at the end of the 80's decade so I saw a lot of stuff come and go! I loved some of the music though :D.

Well, I'm just back from the party and I have to say we had an awesome time!!! There were loads of songs I had no recollection of until I heard them. We also played some games, and we also had this contest about who had the tackiest ( read: the most 80s or 90s) outfit. No votes for me, eventhough I had some nasty ass Hammer pants! But I have to give some credit to the winner, he looked the cheesiest personal trainer (80s style) ever! :)

Edited by frankie

• 2 years later...

I've been listening to a lot of 90s music in the past few months, having discovered this radio show (Fridays, 20-22) where the (excellent) radio host plays 90s music only (and songs from the very early 00s, too). It's mostly dance music, but he also plays other requests. I've always been a fan of the 90s music, partly because of nostalgia and... well, it's the music I listened to at an important growing stage of my life. This radio show has been going on for about 6 years and I'm really annoyed that I haven't known about it before, but I'm happy I now know what to do with my Fridays if I have nowhere to go :D

What's more: the radio host does 90s gigs a few times during the year and coincidentally he came to Joensuu on Mayday Eve (which is a big celebrational day in Finland) and he did a gig at a local bar. I got tickets well in advance and eventhough I was still recovering from my sinusitis I went there and had a blast! I even got my pink, authentic 90s cap signed by the host :D

So, here's an important anthem from the 90s. I just discovered that the song celebrates its 20th Birthday this week :smile2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM

If you like 90's music frankie, have a listen to Absolute Radio 90's on your computer, it's a London radio station in London. They have regular Absolute Radio, plus their own 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's stations.. :)