The Iron Fey Series

Kate

Here is my review of the first in the trilogy, The Iron King:

6644117.jpgCopy: Review e-book

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

I loved this book for everything from the beautiful cover to the great story line. This is the first book in Julie Kagawa's young adult series The Iron Fey Series. I highly recommend this book and cannot wait to get onto the next: The Iron Princess (out this month). The final book in the trilogy is released in Feb. 2011. This is fantasy and adventure, with a touch of romance - everything you need for a great read.

The star of the story is Meghan Chase, a girl who didn't fit in well at school. She did however have a good friend: Robbie. Her life changes when she discovers her little brother Ethan has been kidnapped and replaced by a monster. Suddenly she finds herself on a mission: rescue Ethan. This opens up a whole new world for her, the Nevernever world. Unbeknownst to her, this is the world she belongs in, as does Robbie. He turns out to be Puck, and he had been guarding her for the Summer King. Whilst in the King's court she meets Ash, the Winter prince sent to kill her, but sparks start to fly. And then when they discover it is a new enemy trying to take over Nevernever and is holding Ethan hostage Ash and Puck have to put their differences aside, Ash has to stop trying to kill Meghan and together, with the help of Grim the cat, they have to defeat the new Iron King.

This book is full of imagination, adventure and I cannot think of one bad thing to report. Right from the start I was interested. The faery land mischief starts in the human land when Meghan turns 16. From there she meets all kinds of interesting characters. Kagawa has an amazing imagination and what she creates is great to read. She has taken normal fantasy creatures and evolved them, she has given power to normal animals, such as cats and she has created new monsters. All this wrapped together makes for excellent reading.

I finished the book as definitely Team Ash! Of course that might change with the reading of the new book, but he was strong and handsome, and prepared to put his needs aside. Of course to start with Meghan had to bargain with him but as the story progressed you could see him softening. Puck, or Robbie was a great character too, but I the girl in me preferred the hero Ash! Puck made me laugh with his humour and tricks, but I think I liked Grim the most. I'm not a cat person but this was a wonderfully written character - smooth and cool, and just down-right entertaining. Meghan was a strong-willed girl and the love for her brother drove her on, which was lovely to see.

Overall, I can easily give this top marks, and I am itching to get onto the next in the series, and to read the novella, Winter's Passage. I'm glad I discovered this series, and if you like young adult books or fantasy, this is well worth reading.

• 2 weeks later...

8070049.jpgAddition: E-Book

Rating: 3/5

Synopsis:

Meghan Chase used to be an ordinary girl...until she discovered that she is really a faery princess. After escaping from the clutches of the deadly Iron fey, Meghan must follow through on her promise to return to the equally dangerous Winter Court with her forbidden love, Prince Ash. But first, Meghan has one request: that they visit Puck--Meghan's best friend and servant of her father, King Oberon--who was gravely injured defending Meghan from the Iron Fey.

Yet Meghan and Ash's detour does not go unnoticed. They have caught the attention of an ancient, powerful hunter--a foe that even Ash may not be able to defeat....

This is a short novella, less than 70 pages long. It is number 1.5 in the Iron Fey Series. It follows on from The Iron King. Meghan is home after having rescued her brother, but she made a deal with Prince Ash - the man who should be her enemy but instead she is in love with - that if he helped her save Ethan, she would hand herself over to his court without hassle. However, she does want to make a detour - to check up on Puck, who was seriously injured during her quest. Yet there is something chasing them, something deadly. Will Ash be able to save her and get Meghan to the Winter Court?

I have given this 3 out of 5 for one reason: this book is too short! I love this series and this book is good. It includes Kagawa's imagination and what Meghan and Ash face is great to read! This is fantasy and adventure at its best! I found this easy to read and gripping. The story follows on nicely, and of course leaves the reader on a cliff hanger, ready for The Iron Daughter. The fight scene was great and the language is simple yet effective.

I loved Ash and Meghan as before but this book was too short for any further character development. It was a shame that Puck was not used in this story, but as a teaser for this series, it is good.

This sounds quite intriguing, thanks for the great reviews! Reminds me a bit of the Modern Faerie Tale Trilogy by Holly Black, 'Tithe', 'Valiant' and 'Ironside'. (She also wrote The Spiderwick Chronicles). It's also about girls unhappy with their real lives who discover a dark fairytale world of 'fey'. Personally I thought the first was a bit rubbish, but the second excellent (and unrelated to the first). Sounds quite similar!

I'm not usually into YA books but I adore dark fairytales, so I might check these out and it might be worth your time having a look at Holly Black's books. :lol:Thread is here.

7747064.jpg

Addition: Review e-book

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

This is number two in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, and I loved it ♥ Meghan, half Summer court princess and half human is a prisoner in the Winter Court. Having made a deal with Prince Ash of the Winter Court to go there willingly if he helped her rescue her brother, she is now alone. She fell in love with Ash on her adventures, and thought he loved her. But instead, since arriving at Court he has shunned her. Then, at the party to celebrate the changing of seasons in Nevernever, the Seasons Sceptre is stolen. Meghan knows that the Iron Fey have stolen it, but no one believes her. Winter is blaming Summer and the two courts are about to go to war. Ash re-appears and tries to get Meghan to safety but his brother catches him in the act, and he is deemed a traitor. He decides to drop off Meghan and go find the sceptre. Meghan, now reunited with Puck also has the same idea. Through unforeseen events they find themselves reunited and fighting the Iron Fey.

I really enjoyed this book. The story flowed and I found myself engaging with the characters. When Ash shunned Meghan my heart broke with hers, but I was very pleased with the ending! And quite a cliff hanger I felt! Again, I loved how Kagawa wove the story, the events and what she is able to imagine.

My favourite character this time was probably the Iron Horse. He was noble and fought for what he believed in, and he was loyal to his causes. I was surprised with his story line but really enjoyed it. His character developed and changed in a great way. I loved Grim as well. That cat is so arrogant and blunt - just what I would expect a cat to be like if they could speak! I was pleased to see Puck back, I missed him Winter's Passage, and of course I'm still in love with Ash!

The characters Kagawa has created are incredible. Her descriptions are often breath taking and the action is superb. There are many fight scenes, many fleeing scenes and great interactions between characters. There is nothing to dislike about this book. I was gripped from the beginning and hooked all the way through. This did not take long to read and it was exciting and full of fantasy. The love story isn't overpowering. This is young adult fantasy at its best!

• 2 months later...

8685612.jpgAddition: Review e-book

Genre: Young adult, fantasy

Rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis:

My name is Meaghan Chase.

I thought it was over.That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stay by my side. Drag me into the core of a conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

This is the third book in the Iron Fey series, and like the other two, I loved it ♥ Once I had started reading it, I could not stop. At the beginning of this book Meghan is in exile from Nevernever because she chose to follow her heart, and her love, Prince Ash, who had been exiled for falling in love with her. Together they are in the human world, happy and alone. Until they are attacked by iron fey. They are quickly summoned back to Nevernever and receive a pardon, on the condition they take down the iron fey and the false iron king. This they agree to, and quickly war is on the cards, and Meghan has to battle and win, as being half-human she is the only one who can withstand the iron.

This book was amazing. Right from the start there was action. War and battles run throughout the book, making it exciting and fast paced. This book is different from the others in that this time Ash has given himself to Meghan, whereas before he was hiding his love. Their story and relationship flows alongside the story but this isn't a problem, especially as after most love scenes along comes Puck with some sarcastic remark.

The imagery in this book is incredible. The descriptions of the faery land is beautiful, and it is so easy to picture this world. This is a fantasy book with dragons, dwarfs and gremlins but the way Kagawa writes makes it very accessible and I was transported from my chair to this world and quickly forgot it was make-believe.

The characters are great. I love Meghan. She is strong and determined. She didn't give up and always did what was best. Puck made me laugh the whole way through. There were some touching moments with him but mainly I just enjoyed his wit and humour. My favourite character, as before was Ash. Strong, silent, brooding, and so easy to fall in love with! I'm easily Team Ash! I loved seeing a whole new side to him in this book, where he let his feelings for Meghan show. Grimalken the cait sith is great. He is exactly how I imagine cats would be if they could talk. Arrogant and only around when it benefits them! Together they make a great team.

I was intrigued by the ending and the role Meghan has taken on. I like the twist, it will change the direction of the story which is great. The epilogue and the suspense is already killing me! After the great battle I was almost in tears but this new spin has made me excited already!

This is classed as a young adult book but I loved it. I empathised with the characters, I was gripped the whole way through and I just loved it. There was action, fantasy, imagination and a bit of romance and it made for an extremely satisfying read. I cannot wait for book four!

• 8 months later...

Addition: Review e-book from Netgalley<br data-mce-bogus="1">

Genre: Young adult, fantasy

Rating: 4 out of 5

Synopsis:

Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Review:

This is number four in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa - and although perhaps not as good as the others, still a great read. I have been waiting what seems like an age for this book, and squealed when I received an email telling me it was available from Netgalley. This time the book is written from Ash's point of view, not Meghan's and we follow his story - barely getting a glance at what was happening in the Iron Realm. At the end of book three Meghan banishes Ash for his own safety - as fey he can't survive in the Iron Realm. Yet he made her a promise: to be her knight. He loves her and is determined to keep this promise and the only way to do that is to become human. There is only one way to do this - go to the End of the World and complete the tasks. With the aid of Puck, Grim, the Big Bad Wolf and a seer, Ash sets off; but will he succeed? And if he does, will Meghan still love him?

I really enjoyed this book - although I missed Meghan. She does feature in the story, but not heavily. We walk with Ash and only glimpse Meghan and her world occasionally. I found this book to be more graphic and gory than the others - there seems to be more bloodshed in this adventure. Yet the book was exciting and fast paced. There doesn't seem to be a dull moment in this story - once one foe is defeated, another seems to come along quite quickly. There is a lot of energy in this book which kept me hooked.

All the way through this series I have been Team Ash - and that didn't change in this book either. It was nice to get a better look at Ash, although at times that was a touch heartbreaking. One trial he has to go through is examining his conscience and relieving everything he had ever done - all the hurt he had caused people. There were a few incidents described and it was sad that Ash is not the perfect prince I imagined him to be. This was an honest portrayal though and we saw his struggle with the anger and hate that come from being part of the Unseelie Court.

I loved Puck as well. Although I was always rooting from Ash, I loved that Puck stuck around and was there to help Ash because he loved Meghan so much. He is funny and kept me entertained throughout the book. There were other characters I liked too - Grim is fabulous. He is sarcastic, clever and I love how when trouble arises he vanishes! The Big Bad Wolf was entertaining too - I enjoyed the attitude between him and Grim.

There is a big surprise halfway through the book that I wasn't expecting. It added to the book and Ash's torment and made for some great reading! I won't add in a spoiler but suffice to say - it was good and added another dimension to the story.

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the book - I missed Meghan - she is a key character and we didn't see a lot of her - and Kagawa's writing seemed different - simple and sometimes not completely engaging. However, the good completely overthrows the bad, and this is a great read and a great instalment to this series.

Edited by Kate

• 5 years later...

I just got into this series (been meaning to read it for ages!)

Here's my review:

I absolutely LOVED this book!!

The scene with Meghan's little brother was so creepy I had to check under my bed! The thing with the dog completely broke my heart. The beginning of the adventure felt well motivated with good twists and turns. The author's writing style was super enjoyable to read, a real page-turner. She's definitely one of my favourites.

Puck was hilarious! I'd get sick of him and his pranks in real life but I loved reading about him and his antics. I liked the use of a well-known character, it made him feel like a fuller character. The same goes for other well-known characters used. Grimalkin seemed very similar to The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland which instantly made me like him. As I got to know him I loved his snarky attitude especially paired with Puck.

At first, I found Ash to be a total prick but over the course of the book he won me over. The romance between him and Meghan felt natural, not forced like many romances. Plus, the whole forbidden love angle made it even more addicting!

The frightening faeries and creatures were an interesting take on the usual gentle faeries. It felt more in line with the original faeries tales, where faeries were bloodthirsty creatures not to be trusted. Meghan's adventure was an epic trek throughout the entire Nevernever with several unexpected twist and turns. I can not wait to read the rest of the series!

I give it 5/5
Edited by Athena
Link removed. New members are not allowed to sign up to promote themselves and they are not allowed to post links.