Robin Hobb

Debbie

I've been listening to Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven, and it's my first introduction to Robin Hobb. It sounds as if the other trilogies may be even better? :) It was the dragons which attracted me to this series. Knowing now what the 'liveships' are, are dragons featured in any of her other books?

I haven't read the Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven yet, but I definitely can say all of the trilogies that come before those two books are excellent.

The story of the dragons is fascinating, and it really unfolds in her second trilogy "The Liveship Traders".

But, in my opinion, you really should start with the first trilogy to get the full effect of the story, as there is a certain order that the books work best. :)

The Farseer Trilogy first

Then the Liveship Trader trilogy

Last, the Tawny Man Trilogy

From what I remember, the dragons are featured in both the second and third trilogy, but I don't believe in the first.

You are welcome, Michelle. I don't mind being named after a cat at all. :D

I can understand not liking the first book. I struggled with that one the most, but if you can get through it, Hobb really finds her stride in the second book of the Farseer trilogy.

Oh, and I was wrong. The dragons' story does begin in the first trilogy, but towards the end. :wink:

Edited by Pixie

No, it won't completely ruin it. Some things won't make sense, though, unless you have read the Farseer trilogy first. They are two separate stories, but The Liveship Trader trilogy does make a few references to the first trilogy.

You definitely can't read The Tawny Man trilogy until you have read the prior two, because that one brings the first two together into a larger story arc.

I hope that helps. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Definatly my favorite series, worth a re-read every year. The assasin triolgy I mean. I agree with whoever said Fitz and Nighteyes are the best characters....

I also like Soldier Son, and am looking forward to Dragon Keeper. BUT I refuse to start until they are all published, becuase I got stuck like that with the Tawny Man books, waiting every year to find out what happens! arghh so frustrating....

Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven work well on their own - apparently they were originally one book, which she split into two. She is working on further books in the Rain Wild Chronicles, but you won't find yourself waiting for them, and the first two work fine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple of Robin Hobb novels waiting in my 'to-read' pile. I picked them up cheap from amazon. Are they really that good? I know she's a very popular author, but that doesn't really mean anything nowadays. I often find high fantasy difficult to get into. It's very difficult to create a convincing world from scratch. I don't think many authors do amazingly well. Is Hobb one of them?

I could not get into the Liveship Trader series at all which was very disappointing after enjoying the farseer trilogy .

Same here. I thought the first two Farseer books were good, the third one dragged immensely, and I read the first Liveship book but have had no inclination to return as yet, although I do have the other two in that trilogy on the shelf so shall get to them at some point.

Swear to God, everytime I read this thread title I see ''Robin Hood'' :lol:

And then I read it again...

On another note, I've never heard of him, so I guess this was a good way to find out about an author :D

^^Haha :lol: Blame the Robin Hood allusion for that!

(Interesting how I skimmed through the page and managed to skip all of the posts saying the author is, in fact, a woman xD

How do I do it?!)

• 4 weeks later...

I have read nearly all of Robin Hobb's books and found that she is an incredible write with extreme talent. Every book I have read of hers is fabulous and I become addicted to each series instantly :) My favourite was the farseer trilogy I gave it to all of my friends so read and they fell in love with it to. Fitz was an amazing character that sent my imagination racing ! If you have never read any of robin Hobbs books I strongly recommend them.

Does anyone else have a favourite?

• 11 months later...

I'm currently reading the third in the Assassin's trilogy and loving it. So far I've loved all of these books. Going back to them is like going back to a familiar world and meeting old friends. Looking forward to reading all the other trilogies and books too :) I agree she is a really good writer, and creates credible and quite detailed worlds.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an absolutely huge Hobb fan. I just finished her most recent book in the Realm of the Elderlings, a sequel to Liveship traders.

The "second half" of the book doesn't come out for another year but is already out in dutch. Considering translating it if I crave her writing enough. Mwahaha. SOOO Good.

She's my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking about reading her for a while, but I keep dismissing it as been too much of an 'easy' read. Am I right in thinking that it is child friendly? nothing to complicated and on a similar level to Harry Potter?

It's not that I object to these sorts of books. I always just find myself seeking out more a challenge and an adult book especially in fantasy series.

If I did have a go what would you recommend starting with?

Been thinking about reading her for a while, but I keep dismissing it as been too much of an 'easy' read. Am I right in thinking that it is child friendly? nothing to complicated and on a similar level to Harry Potter?

I'd say her books are definitely aimed at an older audience than Harry Potter, on the face of it (given that people of all ages seem to enjoy HP!). Purely in fantasy terms, if you take David Eddings books to be aimed at a younger audience and George RR Martin to be aimed at an older audience, then Hobb falls somewhere in the middle :smile:

Best place to start is with her 'Farseer' trilogy.

I'd say her books are definitely aimed at an older audience than Harry Potter, on the face of it (given that people of all ages seem to enjoy HP!). Purely in fantasy terms, if you take David Eddings books to be aimed at a younger audience and George RR Martin to be aimed at an older audience, then Hobb falls somewhere in the middle :smile:

Great thanks, I will have another look and check eBay :readingtwo:

• 9 months later...

I've only read the Assassin Trilogy and absolutely loved it! The Fool was quite an intriguing character, always trying to figure out what he's saying and who he really is. That's why the last book is so nice in terms of Fool himself. You get to find out more about him as a character. I haven't read any of her other trilogies but I have Shaman's Crossing on my TBR pile.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say her books are definitely aimed at an older audience than Harry Potter, on the face of it (given that people of all ages seem to enjoy HP!). Purely in fantasy terms, if you  take David Eddings books to be aimed at a younger audience and George RR Martin to be aimed at an older audience, then Hobb falls somewhere in the middle :smile:

I have to agree with Karsa,

after all there is mention of sexual activity in the books and I recall it getting a bit graphic in one chapter in the Liveship Traders.

Oh and I find the Fool fascinating too Rising Dawn.  In a way he reminds me of fools in Shakespeare plays, you know, wisdom in riddles and anything but foolish.

Edited by Kreader