JRR Tolkien

wichmansand

I will disagree with many of you. I thought that both the book (was exceptional) and the movies were very good. I just wish that there were more of Tolkien's works to read and to be made into movies. :) I really, really, like his books and rate him #1 in my opinion, humble as it may be. :) I had a couple glasses of wine with dinner.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will disagree with many of you. I thought that both the book (was exceptional) and the movies were very good. I just wish that there were more of Tolkien's works to read and to be made into movies. :) I really, really, like his books and rate him #1 in my opinion, humble as it may be. :) I had a couple glasses of wine with dinner.

What is it that you enjoyed in Tolkien's work?

• 1 month later...

I loved the LOTR movies. They were what inspired me to read the books. I hated the hobbit movies though! I was so hyped for The hobbit, but so disappointed when I saw it in theatres. The book was so much better. Tolkien is my favorite author, but none of my friends will read any of his books.He has other books out besides the Silmarillian, Hobbit, and lord of the Rings muggle not. Children of Hurin, unfinished tales, tales from the perilous realm, the story of kullervo, are by him, although like the silmarillian they are edited by his son. He also has a translation of Beowulf and the fall of author, and you can read his letters. And though it isn't by him, the atlas of middle earth is very good.

Edited by dragonmyst

• 8 months later...

Oh, boy. I read The Hobbit in 1980 and The Lord of the Rings in 1981.  I still remember  exactly where I was when I first read them. And that I'd see the sunrise and go to high school with no sleep because I read 'til dawn. I've reread them God only knows how many times. 

Of course, books can touch people in a very personal way and your favorites are your favorites and that's that. I can see how people would not enjoy Tolkien's work. I get that.

For me, however, Tolkien is the greatest fantasy writer of all time both in style and substance. No one comes close. I mean, he taught  English Language and Literature, as well as Anglo-Saxon, at Oxford. 

I'll stop gushing now but I would like to mention...

You will gain a deeper view of Middle-earth if you read The Silmarillion.  Also, reading his short stories or novellas such as Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham. could sway your view.

Long ago I stopped comparing movies to the books they're based on. A person can take only so much disappointment and frustration.  So when I watched the Peter Jackson movies I was impressed. I never expected them to measure up to the books and I could see they did their best both with the budget and the acting talent. The third film won the Oscar for Best Picture ( I think.) Even though it did skip the whole Scouring of the Shire chapters.

And I figured the movies would expose generations of readers to the books. That has to be a good thing, right?

I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. 

Tolkien wrote a whole slew of stuff around LotRs and in Middle Earth in general.  TV/streaming may be a good way to explore some of the smaller stories, a bit like they are currently doing with Phillip K Dick's short stories in Electric Dreams.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new series. It could be brilliant and exciting, if it is actually based on Tolkien's work and in his style. On the other hand it could be an awful, badly written fantasy series full of gratuitous sex and violence, set in middle earth to attract viewers. I really hope not though, Tolkien created such a rich world, full of other stories to explore and I'd love to watch a really well done series on it.

Funnily enough Game of Thrones seems to be being used as comparison quite a lot, as in "could be as big as Game of Thrones." I would be disappointed if the tone differed significantly from the films, but not overly surprised. I think they'll just go down whatever route they think will make the most money to be honest. Christopher Tolkien's resignation as director of the estate just after the announcement wasn't exactly comforting either.