JRR Tolkien

wichmansand

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of no use there muggle not. I thought like Raven and considered that maybe he was a Took. :blush2:

It's not Bilbo himself is it? All that Elvish / Ring magic keeping him clipping along?

Ok, it was Gollum (Smeagol) who was the oldest. You were correct on the magic of the ring, but it was gollum whose life was extended.

However, Bilbo Baggins was 131 years old when he left and sailed away across the sea and it is unknown whether he still lives.

Poppy - btw, since you just recently read The Hobbit, how did you like the book.

Edited by muggle not

That's clever muggle-not!

I'd forgotten that Smeagol was originally a hobbit too!

When I saw your question, like Chrissy, I too thought it of Bilbo Baggins.

Bree, and it may well be Bilbo Baggins who was/is the oldest as his death has yet to be confirmed. :)

Bree, and it may well be Bilbo Baggins who was/is the oldest as his death has yet to be confirmed. :)

There you go, dazzling me with your cleverness again.

You are, of course right!

I've never really viewed Smeagol/Gollum as an actual Hobbit, because I thought there was a reference in LotR where Tolkien says they are distant relations of "modern" Hobbits and not actual Hobbits themselves. Wikipedia seems to disagree with my memory on this, however!

I've never really viewed Smeagol/Gollum as an actual Hobbit, because I thought there was a reference in LotR where Tolkien says they are distant relations of "modern" Hobbits and not actual Hobbits themselves. Wikipedia seems to disagree with my memory on this, however!

As you stated .....this is from Wikipedia (but who is to say they are 100% correct):

Gollum, originally known as Sméagol (or Trahald), was a Stoor, one of the three early hobbit-types.

actually though, I would like to think of Bilbo as still living and surpassing Gollum in longevity.

Quoting Gandalf from The Fellowship of the Rings-

Long after, but still very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors, for they loved the River, and often swam in it, or made little boats of reeds. There was among them a family of high repute, for it was large and wealthier than most, and it was ruled by a grandmother of the folk, stern and wise in old lore, such as they had. The most inquisitive and curious-minded of that family was called Sméagol.

Long after, but still very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors, for they loved the River, and often swam in it, or made little boats of reeds. There was among them a family of high repute, for it was large and wealthier than most, and it was ruled by a grandmother of the folk, stern and wise in old lore, such as they had. The most inquisitive and curious-minded of that family was called Sméagol.

Bree, your memory is surely "not" like a sieve..... (:) sorry poppy)

Oh no - muggle-not - I didn't quote from memory! :blush2:

I only remembered the book it was mentioned in, and that it was Gandalf who spoke of it - and I looked it up.

(The only thing that can be said of my memory is : "selective")

That's the line I remember, but at the time I took "of hobbit-kind" to mean they were like hobbits, but not hobbits.

Oh no - muggle-not - I didn't quote from memory! :blush2:

I only remembered the book it was mentioned in, and that it was Gandalf who spoke of it - and I looked it up.

(The only thing that can be said of my memory is : "selective")

It helps that the books have an index as well!

I did read the index, but I didn't think much of the plot.

By the way, you've missed the point of my fantasy novel map hatred! I don't actually mind the maps in Tolkien's books, it's every other fantasy author since Tolkien who has felt compelled to have a map at the beginning of their books - just because they are writing fantasy - that I have a problem with! (There will probably be another map related rant in my Game of Thrones thread shortly!).

By the way, you've missed the point of my fantasy novel map hatred! I don't actually mind the maps in Tolkien's books, it's every other fantasy author since Tolkien who has felt compelled to have a map at the beginning of their books - just because they are writing fantasy - that I have a problem with! (There will probably be another map related rant in my Game of Thrones thread shortly!).

I actually find the maps quite helpful (well to be perfectly honest VERY helpful) I have a completely useless sense of direction, and they've no sooner left home, followed the river to the south, made a couple of turns hither and thither .....and I'm hopelessly lost. However, I pride myself on my map reading skills, although my husband is quick to dispute this fact since once, well maybe twice, I took us on a rather scenic route. I still feel it was the maps accuracy that was at fault.

So when fantasy books have these great treks all over the place, I rather like to see where we are going (and how we're going to get home again ....I'm a bit like Bilbo and miss my home comforts)

I actually find the maps quite helpful (well to be perfectly honest VERY helpful) I have a completely useless sense of direction, and they've no sooner left home, followed the river to the south, made a couple of turns hither and thither .....and I'm hopelessly lost. However, I pride myself on my map reading skills, although my husband is quick to dispute this fact since once, well maybe twice, I took us on a rather scenic route. I still feel it was the maps accuracy that was at fault.

So when fantasy books have these great treks all over the place, I rather like to see where we are going (and how we're going to get home again ....I'm a bit like Bilbo and miss my home comforts)

I agree. I find myself frequently referring to the maps.

btw, there is nothing wrong with a scenic route, I frequently enjoy it. :)

Trouble with map reading too Muggles? *asks very innocently* :angel_not:

Aw shucks, a little unplanned scenic highway never hurt anyone. :P

May I join you lost folk?

It's common knowledge now, among family and friends, that when I insist one route is the right one, that is the one that'll get us lost even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I started a re-read of The Hobbit, however, I found it difficult reading the papreback (although I read it the first time with no problem :) )instead, Ii put in a request at the library for the kindle edition and will wait until it is available

• 5 months later...