Tried once, never again?

Recently tried a sweet and smoky fish dish. Pieces of fish in sauce. It went totally wrong as the fish crumbled to little bits as it stuck to the wok! I ended up with a mulch that tasted so bad and had little bones in. Yuck. Went to the chippy in the end!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Creme caramel. We made it in a school cookery class. It turned out perfectly but just before we were going to taste it a girl started hiding to avoid eating it. She'd had it before and it was not to her taste. I found out that she was right. I can't stand all those caremel/toffee/fudge desserts which rules out most icecreams as well. Strangely enough I do like brown stewed chicken/meat. The chicken is browned using a little freshly burnt sugar. I like savoury stuff better than sweet stuff.

Oh and I have seen others at holiday camp eat a cheese and peanutbutter sandwich. I've tried it and it was kind of ok. I wasn't as adventurous to have a sandwich with the cheese, peanutbutter, pepperoni, jam and hot peppersauce that some ate. I have even peanut stewed chicken, you can add peanut butter rather than getting nuts and having to grind it yourself. Obviously you'll not have a nut allergy. I did go off peanut butter for over decade and began eating it again when I was 21.

I won't eat popcorn, I know how to pop it perfectly but I stopped eating it when I was a child and won't touch it now. I won't eat marshmallows either so I won't be roasting them over a camp fire and I won't be eating desserts with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 06/08/2010 at 6:51 PM, lauraloves said:

baked beans - the sheer taste makes me gag :/

Just been looking through some of the topics and saw this!

so happy someone else thinks the same as me.

Why these vile things are such a nation's favourite I will never know.

The taste, the smell, the texture *shudders*

I tried making pineapple guacamole last summer.  It was a disaster.  The avocado was underripe, and I didn't have any red onions (had to use brown), so I ended up with this uber-lumpy, overpoweringly-onioned bowl of muck masquerading as something edible.  The pineapple made it even worse!

Since I started eating Paleo I have had to try and get over some food dislikes, broccoli for one, I only started eating that a few years ago as the appearance always makes me think of brains :blush:, I can't go near cauliflower for that reason. Mushrooms and olives too, I can just about manage tiny pieces if they are in something else but the texture is just...yuk! :eek: I can now eat sauerkraut and sort of like it, and avocado if I eat in when the texture is right, I love the flavour and know they are a superfood so I make the effort. :D 

THANKFULLY, baked beans are a no no on Paleo so I don't have to try them, they are indeed the devil's food! Even the smell makes me nauseous, thankfully only one of my three kids ikes them!  

Bananas. The texture is absolutely vile. i don't like any fruit with soft flesh (I like apples, and grapes are tolerable once I don't chew them too much) but bananas actually trigger my gag reflex if I so much as put a piece near my mouth. Also hate baked beans, or beans of any kind really!

At last!  Someone else who doesn't like soft fruit either, I have exactly the same reaction as you, it's to do with the texture.  I can eat apples (as long as they're not soft, if they are then it's straight in the bin for them)and melon but that's about it.

Edited by Madeleine

41 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

At last!  Someone else who doesn't like soft fruit either, I have exactly the same reaction as you, it's to do with the texture.  I can eat apples (as long as they're not soft, if they are then it's straight in the bin for them)and melon but that's about it.

Yussss thank you! Everyone tells me I'm childish, there's nothing wrong with not liking a texture!!

7 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Bananas. The texture is absolutely vile. i don't like any fruit with soft flesh (I like apples, and grapes are tolerable once I don't chew them too much) but bananas actually trigger my gag reflex if I so much as put a piece near my mouth. Also hate baked beans, or beans of any kind really!

I love it when somebody else hates beans! :lol:

I love Heinz spaghetti so people will say to me "it's the same sauce" Yes well done Sherlock!

I said I don't like beans! I also hate chickpeas. 

19 hours ago, Nollaig said:

Yussss thank you! Everyone tells me I'm childish, there's nothing wrong with not liking a texture!!

Totally agreed. There are many textures I don't like (not just with foods). Nothing wrong with that.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Foods I've tried and HATE (and texture is a huge part of why I don't like a food):

broccoli

meatloaf

fish (any)

sausage

artichokes

anything chunky or fatty

hamburgers