Tried once, never again?

I thought it would be interesting to share, not exactly culinary disasters but recipes that didn't quite meet up to expectations. The sort of recipe that you look at and think "that looks nice" or "could be challenging" but the finished dish looks and tastes pretty revolting.

One recipe I tried that I will not be attempting again was a goats cheese and sage tart. The filling was a gooey, green tinted mess. I never want to eat goats cheese again and I have gone off using sage.

Anyone else had to resort to going down the chippy after some disappointing results?

Steak in orange and mustard sauce. It was disgusting. Steak + orange = yuck!

Where was that recipe?! :giggle: It reminds me of this chocolate sauce with sausages thing that's quite popular at the moment. I don't think I'm ever going to try that one!

Risotto - my OH loves it, and he's an excellent cook, but he made this for me once and I could only manage two mouthfuls before I knew it wasn't for me. It's now demoted to the evenings when I'm out and he cooks for himself! Bleugh.

I make an Asian style risotto which I like but I haven't tried any others, as they look a bit ropey in the photos...

Guest Eliza1

I made hamburger chow mein recently and it was awful. Maybe it's the recipe I used and I'm not the best cook in the world..I know there's a few variations. I made the one with celery and chicken soup.

I made hamburger chow mein recently and it was awful. Maybe it's the recipe I used and I'm not the best cook in the world..I know there's a few variations. I made the one with celery and chicken soup.

hamburger chow mein? I haven't heard that before...Sounds really weird, are you supposed to chop up a burger with noodles?

Guest Eliza1

I read about it in Stephen Kings new novel Under the Dome! You have to fry the hamburger with onions. Add chicken soup with two table spoons of soya sauce and some chopped chillies. Then you add the celery and any other vegetables that you like. Once it thickens you can add the noodles.

There are a few variations of the recipe for this chow mein so I think there might be a better one, I just picked the one that suited what I had in my cupboards at the time..

I read about it in Stephen Kings new novel Under the Dome! You have to fry the hamburger with onions. Add chicken soup with two table spoons of soya sauce and some chopped chillies. Then you add the celery and any other vegetables that you like. Once it thickens you can add the noodles.

There are a few variations of the recipe for this chow mein so I think there might be a better one, I just picked the one that suited what I had in my cupboards at the time..

What about a different flavour soup? Or a different combo of vegetables? :D

I once put potato in a curry and really didn't like it so I had to throw the whole lot out. I would never want to try to make that again.

I just hate that, you know when you have spent time and money creating this perfect dish and it tastes like cardboard. I find myself looking at it as if I'm willing it to suddenly become edible but soon have to resign myself to the fact that its going in the bin. :blush:

Where was that recipe?! :giggle:

It was in a BBC good food recipe compilation book.

It reminds me of this chocolate sauce with sausages thing that's quite popular at the moment. I don't think I'm ever going to try that one!

I haven't heard of that before. It sounds vile :lol:

Mushroom and Rosemary soup. We get wild mushrooms growing on our place in autumn and as thanks for letting a neighbour pick some, she gave us some of her soup. This is NOT a good combination , although I never had the heart to tell her I threw it away.

Mushroom and Rosemary soup. We get wild mushrooms growing on our place in autumn and as thanks for letting a neighbour pick some, she gave us some of her soup. This is NOT a good combination , although I never had the heart to tell her I threw it away.

I bet you were thinking something along the lines of 'how did you eat that?!' :giggle:

hamburger chow mein? I haven't heard that before...Sounds really weird, are you supposed to chop up a burger with noodles?

If it's a good quality hamburger - and not some Iceland-meal-deal-pound-busting-wallet-saver-meat-disc-Frisbee - it's not going to be all that different from beef chow mien, surely?

I once put potato in a curry and really didn't like it so I had to throw the whole lot out. I would never want to try to make that again.

Potato in the right type of curry can be very good though - I quite like Aloo Saag, a spinach and potato starter/side.

I once had a posh ready meal that had wild rice in it, and it was like eating a bowl of gravel. Gave up half-way through and made some toast!

I used to be a fairly fussy eater when I was a kid, but I'll eat pretty much anything now (that comes from living in halls for a year at Uni!).

In a weak moment I was persuaded to try scallops, even though I had told everyone round the table I didn't like shellfish.

"Go on, you'll love it," they said.

I didn't!

Ian

In a weak moment I was persuaded to try scallops, even though I had told everyone round the table I didn't like shellfish.

"Go on, you'll love it," they said.

I didn't!

Ian

Do they actually have much of a taste? I've never tried them...

omg, it's chi!! :D

I'm a novice cook, so most of what I make turns out a little.. unpleasant.

The worst was.. uhm.. either the filling in my onigiri, or Fettuccine alfredo.

The onigiri filling was SUPPOSED to be bbq pork.. but ended up being little orange coloured rocks. It was completely inedible.

I haven't had pork since.

But when I made fettuccine alfredo-- I'm pretty sure the milk I used was rotten. Because it was the worst thing in existence. I took a mouthful, spit it out, then washed out my mouth and brushed my teeth x__x

I can't even think about it anymore. x__x It makes me gag.. Bleh.

... I still try to cook though!

Just not those recipes.

omg, it's chi!! :D

I'm a novice cook, so most of what I make turns out a little.. unpleasant.

The worst was.. uhm.. either the filling in my onigiri, or Fettuccine alfredo.

The onigiri filling was SUPPOSED to be bbq pork.. but ended up being little orange coloured rocks. It was completely inedible.

I haven't had pork since.

But when I made fettuccine alfredo-- I'm pretty sure the milk I used was rotten. Because it was the worst thing in existence. I took a mouthful, spit it out, then washed out my mouth and brushed my teeth x__x

I can't even think about it anymore. x__x It makes me gag.. Bleh.

... I still try to cook though!

Just not those recipes.

Yup :blush: Was really hard picking just one picture though! :giggle:

Yuck! Gone off milk...I'm really paranoid with milk and sniff the bottle every time I use it! It drives my other half mad. Don't think I've used sour milk in cooking yet, though said other half did serve tea with rancid milk to my poor dad...

• 1 month later...

One of Nigella's recipe's, in fact two of hers .. one was a sort of sweetcorn pudding which I can only descibe as slop and the other was her take on Mozzarella in Carrozza which was just bland and tasteless. Hubby was able to eat the second one dipped in a plentiful amount of tomato sauce but neither of us could stomach the sweetcorn pudding.

I went to a friends house once and she had made chicken curry using chicken nuggets! ... words can't describe how awful it was but I had to eat it, she meant well.

Chicken nugget curry? OMGs, that must have been totally gross!

I once added barley to my Northumbrian broth. One spoonful of the resulting gag-inducing soup and I realised why most people don't use barley in Northumbrian broth - it's because barley is disgusting! I threw out the rest of the packet and have never used it in anything ever again. Yuck!

I love barley in soup! Life is all the better for difference. In the 1980s I went to a restaurant in Nottingham and on the menu was cod in strawberry sauce!! I have never tasted anything so revolting. My own fault really; the words cod and strawberry in the same sentence should have given it away!!

I'm a barley fan too! It has to be thoroughly cooked and have absorbed the flavours of the surrounding stew/soup/casserole/hotpot.

Cod in strawberry sauce sounds absolutely revolting, but I do understand why you tried it. I would too, just to see for certain that it couldn't possibly work. :lol:

Some bizarre combinations can really work though. For example, one hungover morning when I was starving, I had some bacon and eggs as well as some toast with strawberry jam. I dropped the toast, jam-down, on the bacon. I was determined I wasn't wasting good bacon, so I ate it anyway, and would you believe it? Bacon tastes GOOD with just a tiny dab of strawberry jam on it! Colour me surprised! It also tastes good with peanutbutter - that one was a purposeful experiment shortly after the strawberry jam incident. A peanutbutter bacon sarnie is amazing! (Gotta use the crunchy wholegrain stuff though - much better that way!). A local deli/sarnie shop actually sells crispy bacon and crunchy peanut butter sarnies (made with french sticks baked fresh each morning on the premesis) and they are very much loved.

I love potato in a curry. :)

I once added some barley to a soup I'd made and had to throw the whole thing away. I can't eat anything bean or pulse like and it was horrible. I'm still not sure what I expected but it wasn't what I got.

I love barley, and all pulses. :)

And I love scallops. :)

and I wonder why I'm not built like a stick insect!

My son when through a phase of cheese and chocolate spread sandwiches. </Barfs>

I made a sauce for fish a few weeks ago using a block of coconut that is dissolved in water, instead of my usual tin of coconut milk and I hated it - the texture was awful, it was so powdery. My hubby loved it though!