Life's a drag.

Nothing really excites me.

.. it's been that way for years now, basically as far as I can remember. That feeling one gets when they wake up.. feeling terrific.. Not only have I forgotten when I last felt that.. I can hardly remember what it even feels like.

Reading puts me in someone else's shoes.. and helps me get that bit of excitement.. but now books are beginning to fail me.

Do any of you know of a book to pull me back up? Something that can reach into me and electro-charge my soul?

Seriously.

There are many books I didn't enjoy. I've already forgotten their names.

But from what I can remember.. I didn't like the majority of uber fantasy novels I read (they all seem to be.. bleh). I didn't enjoy most sci-fi (although I really did love 'Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep' and I liked 'Enders Game' [but I read that when I was much younger]). A lot of Philip K. Dick's novels were good actually.

I also read this one book.. "Under The Skin", which (although predictable) was a pretty good read.

Other books I liked include:

Heart of Darkness

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich

To Kill a Mockingbird

Ethan Frome (we read it in class, but I still really liked it.)

Basically anything good. Ahahaha. If it's a good read, I'll be able to fit into the story. But I'm looking for a book that goes the extra kilometre.. something.. special.

The only books I don't enjoy are Holocaust retellings or stories or whatever.. bad sci-fi.. and super fiction (I've never liked werewolves / vampires / zombies).

Did that help?

Unfortunately I can't see a pattern in the books you've liked so... hmmm, challenging. The one book that did spring to mind when you asked for something that would 'electro-charge' your soul, has a title that sounds supernatural - but don't let that put you off, as the supernatural element is decidedly secondary to the story and, most importantly, the characters. I recommend it often, both here and offscreen, and it never fails to electro-charge the souls of the recommendees from what I gather. The book in question is Carl-Johann Vallgren's The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred. It is a testament to just how sad yet uplifting, tragic yet inspirational, terrible yet tender it is that though I read it two years ago it's the book I find myself recommending most.

Have you read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman? All the books are very good, but the 3rd book (The Amber Spyglass) is the most uplifting, inspirational book I've ever read. I think it's the only book I've ever read that's really changed the way I feel about life.

It sounds to me like you're depressed. What I would suggest is that you read poetry. Have you ever done that? Any good anthology with varied poems will do. You will find at least some of them echo your feelings, and some of them will be inspirational.

Don't read books with unhappy endings! When I feel a bit dreary I like a comedy - Pratchett makes me laugh, and think at the same time. Someone recommended Jasper Fforde and I endorse that.

Other than that, a book to really get lost in. You don't mention Lord of the Rings - have you read that? It will keep you going for ages!

Personally I have always found Eckhart Tolle works for me - especially his most recent (relatively speaking) book, A New Earth. The Conversations with God books are pretty good too - don't let the titles put you off, as they are not in the least bit religious. far from it.

Even though I don't think this is what you're looking for, I'm still gonna tell you because of how you feel. Or rather, don't feel :)

I love to read Paulo Coelho's stuff when I'm feeling down, depressed, sad, empty, alone...whatever. Bad in any way.

His books always make me feel positive and optimistic. They're comforting. Imo.

I recomend By the River Piedra I Sat and Wept, The Alchemist, Brida, Veronika Decides to Die.

And I agree with the poetry idea, I think that might work :) I like Baudelaire (same thing as with PC applies here...).

I hope you find something you like and feel better soon :)

Edited by Brida

Though I have never read any Cohelo myself, Brida's post's just made me have a brainwave called Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach. Beautiful in an indescribable way, it quite literally helped saved my life at the point where I felt most devoid of it. Compulsory electro-shocking material, I should think.

Have you read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman? All the books are very good, but the 3rd book (The Amber Spyglass) is the most uplifting, inspirational book I've ever read. I think it's the only book I've ever read that's really changed the way I feel about life.

See, I was thinking about reading those.. but I have to get them ordered if I'm ever to read them. :/ So you think it's worth it then?

Actually I've been directed towards that trilogy a lot.. but I just haven't looked at it.

Maybe I will!

It sounds to me like you're depressed. What I would suggest is that you read poetry. Have you ever done that? Any good anthology with varied poems will do. You will find at least some of them echo your feelings, and some of them will be inspirational.

Hmm. I just can't find the right poetry. Everything's always..

I don't know how to describe it. It's as if it doesn't even make it to my ears.

I love to read Paulo Coelho's stuff when I'm feeling down, depressed, sad, empty, alone...whatever. Bad in any way.

His books always make me feel positive and optimistic. They're comforting. Imo.

I recomend By the River Piedra I Sat and Wept, The Alchemist, Brida, Veronika Decides to Die.

I hope you find something you like and feel better soon :)

Written down! And thanks. :)

Hopefully they help me like they help you.

Though I have never read any Cohelo myself, Brida's post's just made me have a brainwave called Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach. Beautiful in an indescribable way, it quite literally helped saved my life at the point where I felt most devoid of it. Compulsory electro-shocking material, I should think.

Wow..

Got it. If there's a book that can inject life into a blank.. maybe it can give me a boost too!

The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov. It's funny, frantic, unusual and creepy. I'd definitely recommend that one!

That actually sounds terrific! I've read so much ordinary.. something different is a welcome change.

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect people to actually help :P

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect people to actually help
Well what can I say, we're a very helpful, friendly and lovely bunch :D so friendly in fact, we want to hear all about what you think of these books when you read them, and any others you might stumble upon between now and then. Glad we could help, and hope to see you around again soon!