Books For Mums

Need some recommendations on Audio CD as a pressie for my, very hard to please but, lovely Mum. She likes audio and uses them to fall asleep to at night and because without her lenses her eyesight isn't great.

She likes classics/philosophy, she likes things like Mapp and Lucia. But she's very well read in classical terms, so I wouldn't choose something too obvious, Bronte or Austen or Shakespeare.

The last thing she bought on CD was Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency, which she loves.

So, no smut, nothing too sweary, no blood/guts, no sex. Basically my polar opposite as far as literature is concerned.

Help!!!!

OK possible not too high brow but nonetheless highly enjoyable are the Paul Temple series

Temple is an amateur Private detective and author of crime fiction. Together with his wife Steve, he solves the featured crimes with subtle, humorous dialogue and rare "action". Always the gentleman, his use of the phrase "by Timothy" was the nearest he ever got to swearing.

there are a whole load in the series they are well acted and part of their time.

Hope it helps

You could try some of the other Alexander McCall Smith series, as she liked The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. My favourites are The Sunday Philosophy Club, but I also love the 44 Scotland Street and Corduroy Mansions series - all out in audiobook format.

The other book I'd recommend is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book, which I thought was reminiscent of the humour of the Mapp and Lucia series, and it's out on CD as well.

How about Jasper FForde? IT's crime so in a way similar to No. 1 Ladies detective agency (although a little more actiony) and she'll probably appreciate the literary references (go for The Eyre Affair).

This is my first post so hi everyone.

Similar to the other thread of the same name, I'm looking for books (fiction) for my mother, print rather than audio though. No sex, heavy duty swearing, gore or anything about suicide please. She tends to like adventure/mystery/crime but she also enjoys the likes of Maeve Binchy and P.G. Wodehouse. She's read most of the very well known stuff such as Agatha Christie, Daphne Du Maurier etc. The Paul Temple books suggested in a previous thread sound good but they don't seem to be readily available in print.

Thanks.

I suddenly remembered I know two authors which might suit your mum Foggy.

James Anderson he writes in a very Agatha Christie Style and in the same peiod too.

Boris Akunin his series is set in Russia and features either Sister Pelagia or Erast Fandorin

I have liked both for being traditional style crime novels

Thanks Pickle. She's read the Anderson books (as far as I know there's only three)? but I doubt she's heard of Akunin, and neither have I, they sound 'right up her street' so consequently I've just ordered a few. Thanks again.

This is my first post so hi everyone.

Similar to the other thread of the same name, I'm looking for books (fiction) for my mother, print rather than audio though. No sex, heavy duty swearing, gore or anything about suicide please. She tends to like adventure/mystery/crime but she also enjoys the likes of Maeve Binchy and P.G. Wodehouse. She's read most of the very well known stuff such as Agatha Christie, Daphne Du Maurier etc. The Paul Temple books suggested in a previous thread sound good but they don't seem to be readily available in print.

Thanks.

Has anyone read any of Harriet Hicks' books? - I suspect that they would fit the above criteria.