Does anyone have any opinions on Wilkie Collins?

Isabel

I thought Wilkie Collins would write in a similar style to Charles Dickens as they were the same era, but how wrong I was! I have read the Haunted Hotel, The Woman in White and the Moonstone. I particularly enjoyed TWIW, and found it a real 'page turner', a bit like a vintage Colin Dexter! I was also very interested in the reactions the book got when it was first published-all very shocking! However, I found the Moonstone to be much of a muchness, and all the twists and turns were obvious once you were used to his style. Can anyone recommend any of his other books?

I thought Wilkie Collins would write in a similar style to Charles Dickens as they were the same era, but how wrong I was! I have read the Haunted Hotel, The Woman in White and the Moonstone. I particularly enjoyed TWIW, and found it a real 'page turner', a bit like a vintage Colin Dexter! I was also very interested in the reactions the book got when it was first published-all very shocking! However, I found the Moonstone to be much of a muchness, and all the twists and turns were obvious once you were used to his style. Can anyone recommend any of his other books?

hi Isabel

I read the Moonstone and it was just a story. then I read The Woman in White and it so haunted me for ages after I finished it that I never read any of his other books. I might try the Haunted Hotel though now that you mention it.

lyn

• 1 month later...

I also found the Woman in White haunting and preferred it to his others. If you want a modern gothic twist try "Drood" by Dan Simmons. It is narrated by Wilkie Collins and is about his relationship with Dickens; with a dash of mesmerism, laudanum and the gothic.

• 4 weeks later...

I also read Woman in White & The Moonstone & really enjoyed them both. I haven't read any of his other stuff so I'd be interested as well in hearing what other books people have read & enjoyed by him :)

• 4 months later...

I've just finished TWIW - my first Wilkie Collins, and I've really enjoyed it. As others have said here, it's a real page-turner. A real testament to the author that he manages to keep the suspense up for the whole 600 odd pages.