The Passage - Justin Cronin

joe

Am currently reading this.. and am interested even though the beginning is slow like Stephen King. IN fact, the writing reminds me a little of SK-light. Light mening, less slow and annoying. I love King, but some of his work just makes me think "oh get to the POINT".. I don't know how many pages in I am, but I think this is a book I'll be continuing, it is quite intriguing, only those who read it.. tell me there's more (post)apocalysm to come please, that's why I picked this up.. ;)

Yes! Keep going, and bear in mind that this is the first of a trilogy......:cool:

Oh I am reading on, and am now at the post-apocalyptic point, must say it sure is a switch reading one page about the apocalyptic events just starting and the next about what, 1000 years ahead? Is all good though, me likes it!

The switch was big and it does come together, I can't wait for the next book :)

I agree, it is a big switch. In fact I was saying on twitter the other day that it almost fills like two separate stories - but it is drawn together at the end, when Amy becomes important again.

I wander who you were saying that to Michelle :P

You have made me want to get it. Thank you again. It will be my expensive purchase this month me thinks.:friends3:

I wander who you were saying that to Michelle :P

You have made me want to get it. Thank you again. It will be my expensive purchase this month me thinks.:friends3:

Its well worth the expensive purchase, and I can't wait for the second part :D

I will be buying it this month for my flight on the 30th. I am actually really excited about reading it. Reminds me when I planning to get the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

***Edit*** When does the second part come out???

Edited by catwoman

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished it some days ago, and to be honest, about the whole book? It was original, that's true, and not a bad read, but not all that I had expected. I didn't like that they took the whole vampires thing for an apocalypse.. I will say there's more to be had about that I hope, seeing it's only 1 out of three books.

What I liked least is that I didn't really care much about any of the characters. They didn't feel alive to me.. Amy intrigued me, mildly, but that's all. I like it when books make me cry and laugh with a character, and didn't have that for this one. It felt like a bit of a let-down. I actually had to stop myself (and failed a few times) skipping half pages because I was bored. May be because my reading mojo is somewhat absent these days, but still, I gave the book 3/5 stars in Goodreads. I will start on the next parts if the library gets em, won't spend money on them seeing as they're big books and possibly expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with a lot of you guys on this one I like it, it was different but I found it hard to keep going sometimes. But I paid a tenner from Tesco's so I was going to read it. I was quite glad I persisted though and I will be reading the next one which I am hoping won't be as slow as the first as there won't be a need to set up the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just started reading it. Not sure I'm all that excited. It's certainly not un-put-down-able in my opinion. But if it's vampires (which I didn't realize until I re-read this forum) I might persevere.

• 2 months later...

I must say this is one of the few books I actually gave up reading. Before this only Moby Dick has ever made me so frustrated that I just stopped reading. I absolutely loved the first part of the book, but as soon as it went Post-Apocalyptic I just totally lost interest. I just might go back and give it another try, but I just don't know yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for anyone who has read and enjoyed the book:

SPOILERS!!!!

I have made the font of my post white so that none who wants to see spoilers can avoid them. Simply highlight the

text to see it below:

What do you think Amy is? She was special before the virus. The Polar Bear and other animals knew what she

was. Also near the end of the book she said she would soon tell Peter all that she knew and believe ....implying that she is

holding much back from him (us). Which is great because she is obviously the most interesting character in the book.

I hope she is immortal, not just aging slowly.

• 2 months later...

"Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she's the most important person in the world. She is. Anthony Carter doesn't think he could ever be in a worse place than death row. He's wrong. FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming. It is.

Unaware of each other's existance but bound together in ways none of them could have imagined, they are about to embark on a journey. An epic journey that will take them through a world transformed by man's darkest dreams, to the very heart of what it is to be human. And Beyond.

Becausesomething is coming. A tidal wave of darkness ready to engulf the world. And Amy is the only person who can stop it."

I picked up this book from our tea room here at work, knowing nothing more about it than the sleeve notes as above. At nearly 1000 pages long, I knew this was going to take some dedication to read. Without giving too much away (which is quite difficult), the story follows initially, a scientists investigations into prolonging mankinds lifespan. The military get involved, as they can see the potential of turning this work into a weapon. 12 death row inmates are chosen for experimentation. It's the job of FBI agent Wolgast to persuade these inmates to sign up to the experiments. Then, he is asked to pick up Amy, a six year old girl. He baulks at this, and goes on the run with her. Meanwhile at the secret base where the experiments are being carried out, something has gone wrong (naturally!) The drugs they have given the inmates have basically turned then into vampires. Of course they escape.

The action then jumps forward 100 or so years, to a small group of humans living in a walled compound to keep the hoards of vampires out.

That's enough plot spoiling from me!

I must admit that if I had realised from the start that this was a vampire book, I may not have bothered. But I have to say that this is a fantastic read, that reminds my very much of The Stand (in tone). Being such a long book, you really get to know the various people and care about what happens. My only criticism - it does take a while to get started and to explain itself. Then when the action shifts forward 100 years, you have a whole new cast of people to get to know, which I struggled with a bit. But once it got going, I found I couldn't put it down.

Warning, this is the first book of three apparently, so you will need to invest quite a bit of time!

Ian

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

Thanks for merging the thread - I did look, but couldn't find one. And after I had tried very carefully not to add spoilers!

Still, I agree with a lot of the previous comments. The switch to 100 years after the initial events and to a whole new group of people is very disrupting to the flow of the book. I can fully understand why some people gave up on it. However, it was worth the effort once you are through that transition.

Ian