The Passage - Justin Cronin

joe

Have just been reading a review of this book in the Waterstones Books Quarterly publication and it sounds very interesting. Has anyone heard anything about this book? I would very much like to read it when it is published over here in June

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few articles on it too. It does seem to be gaining a lot of attention, and while I admit I'm intrigued, it's over 700 pages and only the first part of a trilogy, so it would definitely be one to wait to read in paperback!

Here's the synopsis from waterstones.com for those who haven't heard of it:

Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she's the most important person in the whole world. She is. Anthony Carter doesn't think he could ever be in a worse place than Death Row. He's wrong. FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming. It is. THE PASSAGE. Deep in the jungles of eastern Colombia, Professor Jonas Lear has finally found what he's been searching for - and wishes to God he hadn't. In Memphis, Tennessee, a six-year-old girl called Amy is left at the convent of the Sisters of Mercy and wonders why her mother has abandoned her. In a maximum security jail in Nevada, a convicted murderer called Giles Babcock has the same strange nightmare, over and over again, while he waits for a lethal injection. In a remote community in the California mountains, a young man called Peter waits for his beloved brother to return home, so he can kill him. Bound together in ways they cannot comprehend, for each of them a door is about to open into a future they could not have imagined. And a journey is about to begin. An epic journey that will take them through a world transformed by man's darkest dreams, to the very heart of what it means to be human. And beyond. THE PASSAGE.

Here is an article I ran across in the NYT yesterday. Quite a lot of detail about the plot etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/books/07book.html?ref=books

Interesting guy, seems quite bedazzled by his instant fame. Hope he keeps his feet on the ground.

AIE: Another link... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127540813&ft=1&f=1032

• 1 month later...

I haven't read it. I made a special trip to Borders today to buy it but couldn't find it anywhere despite their system telling me they had two copies. :( I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it though.

I received my copy last week from amazon and I am looking forward to reading it too, I have read some excellent reviews :)

I have to admit I gave up on The Passage last night, I got 300 pages in but it got ever so slow and dull and had moved so far away from the original story and into a different time frame that I couldn't go any further. According to some reviews I have read on Amazon this has been the same for others, apparently it goes back to the original time frame/story after another 100 pages or so but I couldn't make myself read any more, there are too many more deserving reads in my TBR pile waiting for my attention!

Edited by chaliepud

What a shame. I too found this with the book but I carried on and now have 100 pages to go. It is such a fantastic read. Maybe you will give it another go after having had a rest from it.

I finished this book today and I must admit I really enjoyed it. There was a few parts throughout that I nearly gave in tho, and I have to agree with chaliepud, I know what point you are talking about. It made me feel like I'd new a different book!

But I'm glad I stuck with it.

Sorry for the double post, can't find an edit button :blush: I meant to say "it mad me feel like I'd started a new book"

Also I did'nt realise that this was the first part of a trilogy, this has pleased me!

• 1 month later...

Just started reading this again after I read the free sample Waterstones were giving away a few months ago and forgot a few things that happened so thought best to start at the begining again :) managed to pick up this impressively huge book from Tesco for bargain price of £10 :) really want to just sit down with it and immerse myself in it but sadly can't due to work so only takin half hour dips in and out :( I've never known a book to get so much hype before I think the last one was Harry Potter series but it's good to see books getting hype as well as films as I find the books better then the films, theres so much they leave out and hope when this gets made into a film they make a trilogy.

• 2 months later...

I have read this after being recommended it by mt supervisor at work and I have to say it was one of the greatest books I have EVER read FACT!!!!!! id say give it to chapter 6 and your hooked, I read it in 2 weeks and did not put it down and read at every opportunity!!

anyone who's havin trouble getting into it stick with it even when you think'WHAAATTTs goin on'

ALL WILL BE REVEALED!!!!!!!

it will rock your world

• 3 months later...

SYNOPSIS

Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she’s the most important person in the whole world. She is. Anthony Carter doesn’t think he could ever be in a worse place than Death Row. He’s wrong. FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming. It is. THE PASSAGE. Deep in the jungles of eastern Colombia, Professor Jonas Lear has finally found what he’s been searching for – and wishes to God he hadn’t. In Memphis, Tennessee, a six-year-old girl called Amy is left at the convent of the Sisters of Mercy and wonders why her mother has abandoned her. In a maximum security jail in Nevada, a convicted murderer called Giles Babcock has the same strange nightmare, over and over again, while he waits for a lethal injection. In a remote community in the California mountains, a young man called Peter waits for his beloved brother to return home, so he can kill him. Bound together in ways they cannot comprehend, for each of them a door is about to open into a future they could not have imagined. And a journey is about to begin. An epic journey that will take them through a world transformed by man’s darkest dreams, to the very heart of what it means to be human. And beyond. THE PASSAGE.

REVIEW

I am in the minority when I say that this book did not excite me at all in fact I found it positively hard going. This book was not only mentally hard to read as the pro’s did not really seem to engage you but, physically it was hard to read with its size. The book is so large it makes reading it hard work. the story engages you around the three main characters but as the book was 200 pages in I found that I really had no emotional connection to the characters and after a quarter of the book did not care really what happened to them. Others have commented that this book is amazing and the best vampire book for ages but for me it did not excite. Maybe at another time I will give it another go just to see whether I have missed something or not.

Edited by Michelle
Merged with existing thread - please search :)

Am currently reading this.. and am interested even though the beginning is slow like Stephen King. IN fact, the writing reminds me a little of SK-light. Light mening, less slow and annoying. I love King, but some of his work just makes me think "oh get to the POINT".. I don't know how many pages in I am, but I think this is a book I'll be continuing, it is quite intriguing, only those who read it.. tell me there's more (post)apocalysm to come please, that's why I picked this up.. ;)

There is more (post)apocalysm to come, the slow beggining is probably because he has to set up the second section of the book, I hope you get more into it, I loved it and thought it was one of the best reads of the end of last year.