Books For 11 Yr Old, Caught Between Childhood And Maturity!

Hi, I am still having fun getting by 11 yr old son to read! All I get is reading is boring!!! Then he thinks instead he can just stay up and watch TV - I don't think so! He goes through such phases, he prefers a series of books but at the end of said series he truly struggles to start and enjoy anything new. He loved the Harry Potters and the Percy Jacksons. Really enjoyed The Hunger Games, parts 1 and 2 and The Curious Incidence of the Dog in the Nighttime. Went through a phase of war stories but past that now... He seems to be caught between reading levels, is a capable reader that has grown out of the 9-12 bracket but too immature (probably more in my eyes than his though!)

Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

Many thanks

Chaliepud x

I would recommend the Skulduggery Pleasant series. Just finished reading the first one and I think an 11year old would love it!

He might like the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. fantastic reads, The first few were awesome. I was not keen on the fourth one but I have heard other people love it. I think it is up to it's six in the series. Another one by Patterson is Witch and wizard. If you like the HUnger games he might like this.

Rick Riodan who wrote the Percy Jackson series (which I love reading to my son) has a new series out. The Kane Chronicle Series. It is about Egyptian Mythology. I have not read it yet as I am going to y it for my son for Xmas. The first one in the series (and I think the only one out at presen)t is called The red pyramid.

Artemus Fowl are always a good series. I read these also to my son and he loves them.

Hope some of these suggestions help :)

Try the Skullduggery Pleasant books they're good fun, like messrs Potter & Jackson adults can enjoy them too.

But funnier, I am desperately waiting for the new one which I think will be out in September.

Rick Riodan who wrote the Percy Jackson series (which I love reading to my son) has a new series out. The Kane Chronicle Series. It is about Egyptian Mythology. I have not read it yet as I am going to y it for my son for Xmas. The first one in the series (and I think the only one out at presen)t is called The red pyramid.

I'm reading this at the moment, and really enjoying it. :D

I'd recommend Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series by Michelle Paver starting with Wolf Brother. The main character groups up over the series of books from 11 to 16.

I think most children tend to want to read about characters a bit older than them, as it's about the exploration of what they want to be, so I'd also recommend the Young Bond series by Charlie Higson and the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz.

The only think I would say is that I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure if these are a bit too old for him, but I wouldn't have thought so (There's a parents review on amazon.co.uk of the first Alex Rider book which says he would feel comfortable giving them to his son when he's about 10).

Wow, thanks everyone for all those replies! we have tried the Young Bonds, the spy thing really doesn't float his boat, likewise with Alex Rider, costly mistake, hopefully DS2 will like them! I bought him Red Pyramid thinking he would like it but he couldn't get into it, think it's physical size put him off a bit...

Will take a look at the others with him on amazon so thanks a lot for that, unfortunately he is past the age of wanting me to read to him and to be honest with 2 younger ones by the time I have listened and read to them, it is often getting quite late!

And yes, the PS3 is a heck of a competition for books :(

Garth Nix - The Old Kingdom/Abhorsen trilogy, they are very suitable for kids, even if they are about necromancy etc, and they certainly are not too childish, they're amongst my favourite books. Even IF they have the shambling dead in them, they aren't too gross or scary, so worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

All the ones I was going to recommend have already been mentioned - Artemis Fowl; Skulduggery Pleasant; and Darren Shan. All excellent series that should hopefully grab a lad's interest and hold it. :)

Thanks everybody, that was soooo helpful. On holiday he read the first Artemis Fowl and loved it so second one is winging its way from Amazon as we speak. He likes the look of Skullduggery Pleasant next but think we have at least 5 Artemis Fowls to read first. Mockingjay (3rd book in Hunger Games trilogy) is on its way too so there will be a fight as to who gets to read that first lol! I have printed out a list of all the other suggestions and the websites too so hopefully he will always have a good book to read (well for the next 6 months at least!)

The Spook's series (Wardstone Chronicles) by Joseph Delaney is brilliant. I have read most of them myself after my 11 year old son told me how fabulous the books are and he wasn't wrong! Another series he thoroughly enjoyed was the Shapeshifter series by Ali Sparkes. Not read any myself but he really liked it. Hope this helps. x

• 2 weeks later...

I always recommend The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Although I'd maybe start with the second book in the series, "The Dark Is Rising", as opposed to the technically first one "Over Sea, Under Stone" as I didn't find it quite as engaging as the others and I think was written for a younger market. There's quite a good synopsis on Wikipedia.

Avoid film adaptation at all costs!!! Travesty!!!