Stuart MacBride

Kell

Logan, Insch & Steel; brilliant.

Only problem I have at the moment is when someone asks me what I'm reading & what its about! (Currently on Cold Granite).

"Ah well, its about a load of gruesome child murders, kiddie fiddler investigations, that sort of thing, it's really funny too"!!!

Bit of a conversation stopper really!

Jim

Edited by Jim Mappelle

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logan, Insch & Steel; brilliant.

Only problem I have at the moment is when someone asks me what I'm reading & what its about! (Currently on Cold Granite).

"Ah well, its about a load of gruesome child murders, kiddie fiddler investigations, that sort of thing, it's really funny too"!!!

Bit of a conversation stopper really!

Jim

I was reading Broken Skin on the bus and laughed out loud people looked round. When they saw the cover of the book then looked at me again, and they must have thought I was some sort of sicko.:)

I think the humour is really important, if his books lacked humour they'd be too grim.

Gallows humour at its finest.

I find Macbride's books to be full of wonderfully dark humour. I had the same problem with American Psycho when I was reading that - everyone seemed to think I was a complete psycho myself when they heard me laughing and then saw what I was reading that made me laugh - LOL!

McBride sounds really interesting, I've never read anything by him. Which book would be the best suggestion for a newbie to him?

Start with the first one and go on from there as they are actually sequential. It is possible to read them out of sequence, but it would make more sense in publication order:

Logan McRae series:

1. Cold Granite

2. Broken Skin

3. Dying Light

4. Flesh House

5. Blind Eye

6. Dark Blood (which I bought this morning - signed copy!)

If you like sci-fi thrillers, there's also Halfhead, which is a stand-alone novel set in a slightly futuristic Glasgow (rather than a modern-day Aberdeen setting like the Logan McRae books). It's different from his straight crime thrillers, but still has his distinctive style and dark humour.

There's a 7th Logan Mcrae book coming out in Janurary 2011 (called Shatter the Bones) - wish it would be out in time for Xmas though - silly timing, if you ask me!

I was going to wait for Dark Blood to come out in paperback, but I don't think I'll be able to wait.

Apart from Irvine Welsh I can't think of another writer that I can't wait for.

@Kell is Shatter the Bones a Logan McRae???

If it is he's banging 'em out at the minute. He'll never have the time to keep his veggie patch in order. He moans about it all the time.:)

Broken Skin and Flesh House are my favourites.

I can't put them down and read them them in a day or two.

I'm going to re-read over the summer, there's not many authors I'd re-read either.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm on 'Dying Light' now; 1/2 way through & enjoying this one even more!

I was even in the 'Granite City myself this week, even on the Mastrick Ind Estate but didn't see the Mastrick Monster!

Loved DI Steels quote on P256 of Dying Light:

'Ah....politics, Sergeant. When the top brass hand you a turd, you polish it & say, "my, what a lovely jobbie!" That way they are impressed by your intellect, perception & ability. If you don't, all you've got is a handful of s**t.:roll::lol:

Jim

I was even in the 'Granite City myself this week, even on the Mastrick Ind Estate but didn't see the Mastrick Monster!

You were in Aberdeen? How cool! Wish you'd said something - I'd love to met up for a coffee with any members who come up to Aberdeen for a visit. :roll:

Had to chuckle to myself when reading P326 of Dying Light; while on an observation exercise the 'team' were bored & started playing a game of Had-To-Or-Die, ie naming someone they'd rather die than sleep with!:)

Anyone brave enough to start that thread on here LOL!;)

Jim.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought Cold Granite after it sounded interesting in one of the Monthly reading circles last year - finally got to read it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Failed to work out whodunnit, which is always good! I really liked the characters in it, even the unpleasant ones and would definitely read more from Stuart Macbride. It wasn't raining when I was in Aberdeen if that helps! OK it was May, Scotland gets its short summer then eh!!!!!!

Thanks for the list above - I'll go scour the shelves of the charity shops and then resort to amazon!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone read Shatter the Bones yet??

Am looking at you Kell!! wink.gif

I'm amazed she hasn't answered this! I must get around to reading another one myself.

I'm amazed she hasn't answered this! I must get around to reading another one myself.

Maybe she didint get round to it Inver. Not to worry, I read Shatter the Bones not too long ago. Fabulous. He's one of my favourite authors and hasn't put a foot wrong with the Logan McRae series. For me he always has the right mix of humour and grit.

• 4 weeks later...

He's one of my favourite authors and I have read all up to shatter the bones, I've also read birthdays for the dead and agree that this could not have been a logan book.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm awaiting the arrival of Cold Granite after my purchase of it last week. This is one series I am eagerly anticipating after reading many favourable reviews. Stuart MacBride's protagonist Logan McRae looks to be a character that I'm going to adore.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...