Why do they have to change the covers?

kitty

I am really gutted, when to the charity shop today to get some books for my boyfriends mum. I couldnt go away empty handed so I got myself a Philippa Gregory book and also a Martina Cole one. I have returned home to find I already have the Martina Cole one, but didnt notice as they both have a different cover.

This has happened so many times to me now and its driving me mad.

The lady in the shop messed up all the window display just to get it for me.:smile2:

Does this get to anybody else or is it me just being :lol: .

Ps Sorry if this has been mentioned before!

I think a large part of it is that they do different covers for different countries, in order to appeal to some generic stereotype in that particular market, hence the covers in the UK are often different from the ones in the USA, which are again different from the ones Down Under. I agree though, it can be rather annoying. Although, sometimes it means you can find a nicer cover if you prefer one of the ones from abroad, & with the internet, getting hold of them is a lot easier nowadays.

Not only that Kell, they change covers every so often on the series books. I noticed it especially on the Sue Grafton detective series. I have the first 10 or so of them in one cover, as I bought them at more or less the same time, but down the road, they re-issued the whole series with new covers.

Cynically, I figure they change first of all to confuse people, IOW, the reader will think they have not read that installment, because the cover is unfamiliar so will buy it again.

Or maybe simply to attract new readers.....maybe the old cover didn't asthetically appeal to said reader, but the new one will.....

Now I just bought White Doves at Morning again. But I lost the one I was reading........it's somewhere in the house though! :smile2:

But the new (U.K.) Cover I bought is much nicer IMO. More evocative of the subject matter.

Actually, I have to admit, I love the new Pratchett paperback covers - all black with classy black & white photos on the front that are something appropriate to the story. I hated the Josh Kirby covers with those grotesque gnomy-type characters spillnig out all over the placein garish colours. I've been much happier since Paul Kidby started doing them instead, but I've still got loads of Kirby coverson my shelf that are completely hideous - ick!

Actually, I have to admit, I love the new Pratchett paperback covers - all black with classy black & white photos on the front that are something appropriate to the story. I hated the Josh Kirby covers with those grotesque gnomy-type characters spillnig out all over the placein garish colours. I've been much happier since Paul Kidby started doing them instead, but I've still got loads of Kirby coverson my shelf that are completely hideous - ick!

I'm not too keen on the new black covers, actually. I prefer the older Kirby covers. The new Kidby ones are good as well.

I am glad they change the covers otherwise I wouldn't own Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp on the front. Otherwise, I dislike books with those "now a major motion picture" covers so am glad they change those. . . unless they have Johnny Depp on them of course!! :smile2:

Thanks everbody for your thoughts, I just dont have the room to have the same book twice at mo.:smile2: (Ive just found out that charity shops do good books). I didnt think about how a cover could affect it selling and the copy is much more posh looking!:lol:

No the originals sum up Pratchett so much better! I don't mind the Kidby ones, they have the same feeling, but the black ones look dull and don't get across the assault on your senses that is Pratchett!

I've been requested the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum books from the library, and every one I get seems to have a different style cover! I must say that I prefer the paperback one's with the cartoon-y Steph on them. I'm hoping the Book People will do a collection (for cheap!) of all 12 currently published when the 12th goes into paperback. If they do, I hope it is the nice covers! Then I will buy them (possibly twice - once for me and once for my own Grandma Mazur!).

No the originals sum up Pratchett so much better!

You think so? I thought the covers with Twoflower actually having 4 eyes (rather than wearing glasses as he was supposed to) was just horrid - I detest those covers - they actually make me feel a little bit sick looking at those lumpy, misshapen characters.

Kell said;

Sorry Kell. I'm with the others on Josh Kirby. I love his art, and yes, I think it is perfect for Practchett's Discworld. I once went to a Josh Kirby exhibition, and it was one of the best exhibitions I've ever been to. Loved it.

I don't have an opinion on the new ones as I think I've only seen one.

I will swap / buy whatever your grotesque ones . Can't bear to think of you not loving the covers!!!:smile2:

PP

• 7 months later...
Does anyone know why there are different covers for US and UK editions of the same book?

I think it's to do with publishers - often it's a different publisher in different countries and they all like to choose the cover art for their publication.

Does anyone know why there are different covers for US and UK editions of the same book?

They change the entire book in some cases, here is a quote I found on one of the Harry Potter books.

A number of differences exist between the Bloomsbury and the Scholastic editions of the Harry Potter books. Most of these differences were made by the US editors to clarify the text for American readers. For example, the UK version uses the term "skip" while the US edition uses the term "dumpster." While some would contend that there is no reason why American readers couldn't work out what a British term means, those kinds of changes do have some logic to them. However, some differences are a bit less easy to explain, such as the change which removed the number of Sirius's Gringotts vault in the US version.

Probably the most infamous change of all is that of the title of book one. Rowling reluctantly went along with the change, which was suggested by Arthur Levine of Scholastic Books. She now regrets her decision to allow the change, she has said, but at the time she felt that she had to go along with the advice of her editors. It never occurred to her that her books would be known the world over and that she would one day wish she could change it back. The change was made and now it's part of Harry Potter history.

http://www.wizardnews.com/story.20050308.html