Stephen King Reading Circle - The Shining

The Shining

Terrible events occur at the isolated Overlook Hotel. It's a place where the guests are deceased but not necessarily departed, high in the wintry Rocky Mountains in the off season. A family checks in so the father can write, and terror lurks behind every door. Their son, who has psychic powers but does not know he has them and does not know how to use them, struggles to hold his own against the forces of evil that are driving his father insane.

I hope you all enjoy this one :smile2:

Thanks for setting this up Kat. :smile2:

I'm about half way through, and really enjoying it. There are some lovely creepy scenes!

I have a question for anyone who's read this before...

When they take Danny to the doctor, he says that there's a reason why his invisible friend is called Tony, and it's said in such a way that implies that it's obvious. And yet I can't work out why! lol Am I missing something obvious here?

As a guide, who here has read it before, and who is it new for? And have you seen either or both of the 'films'?

I've read it before, but it was a long time ago. I've also seen the Jack Nicholson film, and the longer, 2-part film that was on once. I remember the general idea, but not details.

Well, I've never read the book before, but I have seen about half of the Jack Nicholson film. But it was the first half of the film, so I don't know what happens at the end.

Just starting Ch.11, and really enjoying the book. So far, so good!

I have read this book but it was about ten years ago (aghhhhhhh time check, that made me feel old) I can't remember too much about it but I know it scared the pants off me and it was also my first King book.

I'm gonna get hold of this soon, despite my TBR pile not getting any smaller :smile2:

I've read the book before, also I've seen the Kubrick film (which I didn't like) and Stephen King's own version, which was better but still not exactly right.

I'll have to get on and finish Thud! so I can start The Shining.

Hello

I read 'The Shining' before, but it was ages ago and I have also lost my copy when I was pretty sure it was in my bedroom, so I will buying a new copy.

I have seen the movie by Stanley Kubrick, which I did not like and I have the version made for television, which was ok, watchable, but a bit over the top.

:smile2:

I've read it before lots of times, but not recently, and I also have the Kubrick film on VHS.

If anyone wants to borrow my copy (book or video, actually) you're more than welcome, just let me know.

I have a question for anyone who's read this before...

When they take Danny to the doctor, he says that there's a reason why his invisible friend is called Tony, and it's said in such a way that implies that it's obvious. And yet I can't work out why! lol Am I missing something obvious here?

It will be explained in part 4, chapter 26, but if you really can't wait

Jack's father was named Mark Anthony Torrence, and I don't want to spoil why that is important

Liz, what were your favourite bits?

Well, I think my favourite part was probably Part 3 - it was then, I think, when things started to become a little on the strange side.

Some of my favourite bits were with the wasps' nest, Danny going into room 217, and Jack beginning to 'lose it' a bit when on the phone to Mr. Ullman. Jack reading the scrapbook with the history of the hotel in it was quite good as well, I thought - I really enjoyed finding out about all the goings on in the hotel.

These are some of my thoughts..

Kubrick film..

my book had an introduction by Stephen King, where he more or less says that he and Kubrick have a difference of opinion over whether there were benevolent spirits in the hotel or not. (Personally I think King makes it quite clear that there are, but anyway..) This explains the difference in his film.. apparently he was more interested in the affects of Jack's upbringing, alcoholism etc, rather than the spirits.

Room 217..

I love the scenes in here. I think Danny's first visit is scary - we know he can see things, but I think we're waiting for it to just go away. When it starts to move, and then to try and harm him, it's very creepy. Also, when Jack visits the room, it's very well written.

The firehose..

this simple little scene is one of my favourites, because I think it's well written. I recall being younger, and unable to get down the stairs because it meant going past a big spider on the wall. I knew that if I just got on with it, and walked past, nothing would happen, but the longer I stood there, the worse it got, and the more I expected it to jump off the wall at me! :smile2::lol: I think King sums up this feeling really well.

The ending..

to me, many horror books build up, then fail to provide a good ending, but this one I liked. Yes, the 3 characters escaped, but they suffered, and the hotel burning was a fitting ending for it. I also liked the way it's influence carried on in the shed.. just as you're relaxing, there's one little threat left. A usual 'horror trick', but nicely done.

Any thoughts?

I think this is a great book although, for some reason, it's not made it into my favourites list. I wonder if it's because I haven't read it in so long (I found bus tickets in my copy that suggest the last time I read it was in 2001 and was still commuting into London for work - I only did that for 3 months!) that I had forgotten those little clever bits (like the fire hose) that make King such a good writer.

I thought the way that King brought us the history of the hotel was very clever. The usual cliché would have been to have someone 'tell the stories', but the use of newspaper cuttings and log books meant that you had the facts and got to put the pieces together exactly the same way that Jack does. I seem to remember getting a kick when those little things suddenly fell into place.

Because it's a family piece, even though they escaped there could be no happy ending, and I like that. It once again moves away from the cliché of "and they all lived hapopily ever after". This is one of Kings cleverer books - more about the threat within, what happens when you're forced to face those inner demons, and, in a way, shows the importance of society and social support in maintaining one's sanity.

I agree, Michelle, the book is about Jack and his family and the spirits within the hotel are just a catalyst. The scariest thing about the book is that his decent into madness could have happened even without the ghostly goings on. I enjoyed the film, but it was always going to struggle when much of the atmosphere and action is only happening in Jack head.

Well now that I have managed to read all of The Shining I have to say that I was not as scared this time around. I suppose I had some idea about what to expect.

I felt that Jack had major problems in his life even before he got to the Hotel, so it is hardly surprising that the atmosphere at the hotel tipped him over the edge, until he did not know what was real and what was not.

I think that Stephen King built up that tension very well.

The Scene with the fire hose and room 217 are great, but for me it was the wasps that were the scariest things.:smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 100 pages in at the minute and I'm enjoying it. It's funny but my memories about the book are quite different to how I'm reading it now. I felt there was more emphasis on some parts but re-reading it I have found there isn't. Very strange.

It's all starting to go a bit squiffy there now.... :blush:

I've just read the mentioning that a previous caretaker had girls.... hold on I will see.

P23 in my copy, about half way through ch3

'Ullman said the first winter caretaker killed his family and himself'.....'too bad about the little girls. Eight and six they was'

Hope that helps

I remember being scared by The Shining when a teenager.. but when I re-read it, I appreciated it as a good tale, without being frightened. :blush:
Almost completely of-topic, but I remember an episodeo f Friends where Joey had put a bok in the freezer because it frightened him - I believe it was The Shining...

With regards to Friends with 'The Shining' it was really funny, especially the fridge part, remember at the end he put 'Little Women' in the fridge as well.

I getting through 'The Shining' slowly but surely, really enjoying it.

:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I finished 'The Shining'. I first read this book when I was 15 years old and I am now 33 years old and now of course see the book in a different light, how complicated a character Jack was and his relationship with Wendy and Danny. Also his alcohol addiction.

A timeless book, a great read, not as scary as I remember and the Overlook is a great place for a setting.

The Overlook Hotel is also mentioned in 'Misery' by Stephen King when Annie Wilkes tells Paul Sheldon that she once had a relationship with an artist who painted a portrait of The Overlook.

:018: