Anne Frank's Diary

Katie

Has anyone ever read Anne Frank's diary? I read it very recently and enjoyed it, especially because of the fact that it was the diary of a real young Jewish-German girl who lived during those terrible years of WWII. Actually, her diary itself does not contain any deep details of the horrible things that went on, but there is an "AFTERWARDS" section that is not part of her diary that they include in the book. It tells more about the terrors of it all... just warning you in case you don't like reading that kind of thing. Especially if you are a very young reader, you will not want to read that section. :)

Has anyone read it before and did they enjoy it?

Hi Katie...

I have lost count how many times I have read Anne Frank's Diary and I have enjoyed and been saddened by it, it is a wonderful story, more so because it is true. You are correct there are not a lot of deep details, its just the world according to Anne, a world in which she hopes that the war will end soon. It is always saddens me when I read the last entry and then a few days later Anne's family, The Van Pels, and Mr Pfeffer were all captured, then you find out what happened to them all. The way Anne's life ended and the rest of them (apart from Mr Frank) was a waste of life.

:)

Hi Katie...

I have lost count how many times I have read Anne Frank's Diary and I have enjoyed and been saddened by it, it is a wonderful story, more so because it is true. You are correct there are not a lot of deep details, its just the world according to Anne, a world in which she hopes that the war will end soon. It is always saddens me when I read the last entry and then a few days later Anne's family, The Van Pels, and Mr Pfeffer were all captured, then you find out what happened to them all. The way Anne's life ended and the rest of them (apart from Mr Frank) was a waste of life.

:)

Have you ever read her short stories and the diary entries that her father had edited out when he got it published?

I didn't find her stories quite as interesting as her diary, though. They were very juvenile, most of them. But still, I find it interesting that they were written by her own hand while she was in hiding in the annex. :lol: It's interesting to read things like that, things that inform you on the life of a real person.....

You should read the book, Liz! :roll:

Have you ever read her short stories and the diary entries that her father had edited out when he got it published?

I didn't find her stories quite as interesting as her diary, though. They were very juvenile, most of them. But still, I find it interesting that they were written by her own hand while she was in hiding in the annex. :lol: It's interesting to read things like that, things that inform you on the life of a real person.....

You should read the book, Liz! :)

I haven't, no...but I will certainly be on the look out for them. I guess I like the diary because it was true and Anne was a typical teenager which at times I found funny, even with the situation she was in, she still had the odd 'rant'...:roll:

I read 'By the Moon and Stars' by Eva Hayman, which is a similar thing, written by a Jewish teenager at the time, diarising events in her life (difference being that she was evacuated and separated from her family). I really enjoyed reading this so much that I thought I would pick up Anne Franks diary. I don't know if it's simply because I read it first, but I preferred 'by the moon and stars'; saying that, Anne Franks diary is incredibly moving by virtue of the fact that it is real and these events were not imagined but actually happened. I think everyone in the world should read this book, and books like it, in a bid to learn from this horrendous period in history.

It was a horrendous period in history, truly. And you are so right, we should definintely learn from it, princessponti!

And Gyre, you should be able to find the stories of Anne Frank easily, if anything you could get your local library to borrow it from somewhere else. :)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read it again recently. Hadn't visited it since childhood. Such a great read. Sent me on a search for more of the same genre. I also enjoyed "The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas's"~by John Boyne, and "The Devil's Arithmetic"~by Jane Yolen, both young adult holocaust books. Didn't enjoy them as much as Anne's Diary but still a decent, quick read.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read it before and did they enjoy it?

Yes, just finished reading The Anne Frank Diaries, it took me a while because i was reading it on and off along side another two books...anyway....i'm 40 years young and still really enjoyed it, don't think there is an age limit to this one. It made me cry at the end, couldn't believe Anne and her sister were only two months off being rescued before they died - soooo sad :)

loved her book and went to austria and did a small tour of home where it happened it was great the building did not change

Don't you mean the Netherlands? Amsterdam?:)

Being from the Netherlands, this is something that always is spent a lot of time on in school etc. I did read it, and well, can't say it's an enjoyable read, more amazed I was at the time, which was.. well I think I was about Anne's age. haven't since though, don't need it to remind me of what happened then, like I said there's lots of attention going to it all the time, as it should really. There are war cemetaries all over the place, and I live in Nijmegen, one of the cities where operation Market Garden took place.

But this diary makes you realize how surreal everything was then, we can't imagine something happening here with us nowadays.

• 1 year later...

I can remember reading it when I was 13 or 14 and being fascinated and saddened by Anne Frank's story. It really affected me, possibly because I was brought up in a military family and had a real interest in WWII as a result. It's something I would like to see on the syllabus for history/literacy lessons in the year or two of Secondary School, as I think it's important that today's children fully understand the holocaust and what it was like for the normal people whose lives were turned upside down by it.

• 1 year later...