The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

KAY

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. This is on my Wishlist but after reading all the scathing comments here, I think I might borrow a copy from someone instead of buying it.

To be perfectly honest, I never even knew what it was about, I just thought I should read it.

Ack. Oh well, if I don't like it, I don't have to finish it :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think it is our duty as "deep readers" to be patient with annoying characters in general, or that it is the author's responsibility to put in some checks and balances to their words and actions so they don't drive us crazy? I'm not talking about villains you love to hate, since a lot of great stories ride on those characters and it's obvious we should tolerate them. I think as long as the author makes the lesson clear from that character's shortcomings, those annoying characters can actually be enjoyable to read about. You can shake your head and chuckle at their stupidity, and hope they change later in the story. So who should change more, us or the author (also "us," in some cases:))?

• 3 weeks later...

This is my review:

Synopsis:

The Catcher in Rye is the ultimate novel for disaffected youth, but it's relevant to all ages. The story is told by Holden Caulfield, a seventeen- year-old dropout who has just been kicked out of his fourth school. Throughout, Holden dissects the 'phony' aspects of society, and the 'phonies' themselves: the headmaster whose affability depends on the wealth of the parents, his roommate who scores with girls using sickly-sweet affection. Lazy in style, full of slang and swear words, it's a novel whose interest and appeal comes from its observations rather than its plot intrigues (in conventional terms, there is hardly any plot at all). Salinger's style creates an effect of conversation, it is as though Holden is speaking to you personally, as though you too have seen through the pretences of the American Dream and are growing up unable to see the point of living in, or contributing to, the society around you. Written with the clarity of a boy leaving childhood, it deals with society, love, loss, and expectations without ever falling into the clutch of a cliche.

What an interesting book. Very engaging but short - only 200 pages. The book is narrated by Holden Caulfield, who has just been kicked out of school - the fourth one in a row. He talks about experiences he has at school, with the people he shared the dormitory with; his experience in New York, including trying to get served in bars, going to the theatre and getting in cabs; his experience with his family, especially his wise younger sister Phoebe; and his discovery of sex and homosexuality. The book is ambigous in places, adding depth to the story.

Holden is an interesting character. He unpicks life, he is so negative. Everything is "phoney" or wants to make him "puke". This is an interesting look at the American Dream - he seems to believe it doesn't exist, that it is a simple idea that makes people act in a false manner.

My favourite character was Phoebe, the sister. She was important to Holden - spoken about regularly as he missed her. When he speaks to her she seems very wise and caring, as well likable and lovely.

I enjoyed this book. It was easy to read, with many issues to think over. Although Holden does not like anything, he still makes an interesting read. This book is well worth reading.

8/10

It is an amazing book, I was lucky enough to read it in high school. As for similar books, maybe check out The Stranger by Albert Camus. It's a completely different writing style and theme but another example of a strong character, and one you have to struggle with in the beginning.

I can't believe there are so many bad comments about this book! I put it on my list of books to read before I die just because so many people rave about it and basically call it a comtemporary classic. Still gona have to read it though, will let you know how I get on.

by J.D Salinger

This is a book i tried reading at collage and after the first few pages just thought what the hell have i just read? .....

However, took the book to portugal with me and couldn't put it down.

Ha, I might as well have written this :-) I was instructed to read this one in school (and in Hebrew to boot) and as much as I tried, couldn't get past page 5... I couldn't stand this book.

YEARS later, my wife bought it for herself and suffered from the same effect...

So naturally I had to try this again. This time in English.

Catcher in the rye is one of my favorite books ever since :-)

I can't really explain this. I don't know if I should, but knowing so many people just hate it, I have to assume that this is one of those very unique creations that divide us to black and white pros and cons, with no gray in between. I have never met anyone who said that this book was "ok" or "Eh, nothing much to talk about". It always came as "Great!" or "Horrible!".

I have never understood the appeal of this book.

The only thing I've ever ome up with is that they make you read it in school and compared to the Brontes and Silas Marner and picking the way through MacBeth on a page instead of stage, it seems pretty good, and actually might have something to do with the lives of the teenagers reading it, unlike the others.

But why people STILL say they like it, once grown up and exposed to other books, is beyond me.

• 3 weeks later...

This book really is the epitome of my dislike for character focused books. Nothing actually happens! He wanders around and has pointless conversations with a lot of people where he talks about all the things he hates. That's it! Impossible to spoil :)

Salinger does a great job of capturing the angst you feel as a teenager, but Holden is so mind-numbingly irritating that I couldn't read more than 20 pages at a time.

I would say it's worth the read because Holden's character is well constructed and there are a few lovely parts--such as the baseball glove, but I don't think I'll ever understand people's adoration of it.

I much preferred "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". It had a similar teenage angst theme, but it felt like it was moving somewhere and that his discoveries were helping him grow.

I put it in the masterpiece category, and worth rereading at different stages of one's own life. It will sound different and have different meaning each time.

It sounds here like many haven't actually read the beginning or the end. The story does have a climax, and a touching one at that. At least the way I see it.

So I finished reading this book a while ago. At the beginning I was pretty sceptical. As you already mentioned: There isn't actually a storyline. I decided to continue reading and happened to like the book. It doesn't count among my favourite books but I appreciated reading it. It was worth it. BUT I can understand if some people don't like the book much. It's not THAT fascinating but I think it's kind of nice to read it.

• 6 months later...

i fall into the 'I like this book' camp. As has been noted before it seems to be a conversation between Holden and the reader. Yes he does goof up and get irritating and sensible - usually at the same time. Attentive reading does help - there are lots of telling details if you do. I really enjoyed reading this and its on reread list plus I'm looking out for more by Salinger as I like his style.

I just read this again recently after reading a biography of Mark David Chapman (the man who shot John Lennon) as the book features heavily in his story. I have to say that i enjoyed the book just as much as i did when i first read it about 5 or 6 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s a great book, maybe because I am a young reader and can relate to it. I think it’s good because with every character I can think of someone similar in real life, especially Holden. This book reminds me of a few spoilt mates of mine who have been dragged through education after many failures with the cost of thousands paid by their parents. But a lot of the characters remind me of people who I know who are around the same age. Maybe people don’t like it because it reminds them of their self.

Edited by Janet
Returned post to default size

• 4 weeks later...

I finished this on Sunday and I thought it was amazing.

First of all, I really liked (or loved) Holden.:D He was spontaneous, funny, and caring among others. And, unlike stated in previous comments, there's a difference between being a liar and being superficial, "phony". Holden didn't pretend to be smart or anything, like the people he describes.

I also found his relationship with children very touching. He loved children because they featured qualities that most adults lacked (or should I say lack), like kindness and honesty. His dream was to be able to keep them from becoming superficial.

There isn't really any specific plot, but the writing keeps you interested.

Overall, it is a recommendation for my part.:)

• 4 weeks later...

It's definitely one of my favourite books. Holden is an amazing character and I can identify myself with him. And that stream of consciousness writing style knocked me off my feet, it's difficult to define why, but I just loved it. The book is so brilliant, full of meaning. I absolutely adore it.

• 4 weeks later...