The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

KAY

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zac Efron as Holden Caulfield? Oh dear...

3.gifoh dear lord...

I have numerous thoughts on Holden Caulfield but at this moment, the main one is, 'Zac Efron cannot play Holden Caulfield' :D

I was just reading yet another homage in the Chicago Tribune. And all I could think of was WHY does everyone love this book? I hated it. Hated it. My 3 girls have all read it in high school and all have hated it as well.

I just have never understood the fascination with this book. I guess tht makes me some kind of philistine...

I assumed it was a joke?!

Me too!

'Zac Efron cannot play Holden Caulfield' :D

I totally agree. I would think a lesser known actor would be much better....someone like Jamie Campbell Bower.

• 5 months later...

I must admit I was given this book to read for a high school English assignment. I read the first chapter and refused to read the rest because I found it extremely juvenile at the time.

I do have the book in my TBR pile now. Maybe when I get to it I will have a different opinion. I don't remember much about it except the word "Damn" was used quite often and that was supposed to be shocking or appeal to teenagers. :D

i've just started reading it today,

i cannot decide whether i find it annoying or interesting, i'll see :D

I'll be really interested to know what you think of this one, as it is one of those books that you feel you should read. :lol:

I'll be really interested to know what you think of this one, as it is one of those books that you feel you should read. :irked:

to be honest, i really start to like Holden, he's a really interesting character ..i really get into the book, couldn't stop reading once i started :) maybe the fact that i'm same aged as Holden makes the book more interesting to me, because generally i do not like slow books with only little action & the form of the book, how it is written ( conversations etc. ) makes me really enjoy reading , but i've just finished die blechtrommel ( the tin drum) by g

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I looked for a thread on this book but could not find it.

I found this book hard work and ultimately did not like it. I got it about the teenage angst thing, I did but I still did not like it. Adolescents are big on emotions but short on common sense. That's a given. This book just was simply labouring the point and for me, was ultimately pointless.

I think the problem I had with this book, was that the main character Holden Caulfield is an unpleasant character with a bad attitude. Hwe doesn't really have any redeeming features. I also found that the repetition he uses throughout the book to be very annoying.

One element I liked about this book however, is the descriptions of the city landscape.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to read this book, but I don't think I would read it again.

I think I was too old to read it for the first time. My guess is that if you're going through the angst of being a teenager, you might be able to identify with Holden and appreciate the book, but I didn't read it until my late thirties, and it just didn't engage me at all.

The most switched-on thing I have read in this thread is when somebody compared CITR to Albert Camus 'The Outsider'. Those who think this book is just about teenage angst have totally missed the bus. The teenage angst and Holden Caulfield are only a vehicle for Salinger to use to put across his existentialist view on the world. Which I think he does very well.

Its clear this book has its fans and it knockers which is fine but I think we need some perspective here. I have liked or disliked many books but I have never "loathed" a book or wanted to "slap" a character in a book. Novels are in the final analysis works of fiction. Try not to take them so seriously.

Edited by Milo MInderbinder