The Secret Purposes by David Baddiel

This months reading circle book for all those that are interested is...

The Secret Purposes by David Baddiel:

THE SECRET PURPOSES, David Baddiel's third novel, takes us into a little-known and still somewhat submerged area of British history: the internment of German Jewish refugees on the Isle of Man during the Second World War. Isaac Fabian, on the run with his young family from Nazism in East Prussia, comes to Britain assuming he has found asylum, but instead finds himself drowning in the morass of ignorance, half-truth, prejudice, and suspicion that makes up government attitudes to German Jews in 1940. One woman, June Murray, a translator from the Ministry of Information, stands out - and when she comes to the island on a personal mission to uncover solid evidence of Nazi atrocities, her meeting with Isaac will have far-reaching consequences for both of them. A haunting and beautifully written tale of love, displacement and survival, THE SECRET PURPOSES profoundly questions the way that truth - both personal and political - emerges from the tangle of history.

Discuss at will :D

Have just realised I'm almost finished this one (I expect to finish it this evening at some point) & haven't really commented at all!

Having read Baddiel's previous 2 books (Time for Bed & Whatever Love Means) I already knew to expect the unexpected, as those two books were very different fro each other, despite both essentially being about complex adult relationships. The Secret Purposes does too, but it also comments on the nature of religion & national identity, & what effect that has on those relationships in the context of a major war during which these people face persecution & prejudice on a daily basis.

I'm finding it very interesting to read of how those prejudices carried over from Germany & were continued (albeit diluted) in Britain, with the segregation of Jews & other German nationals from the rest of the country, despite the fact that the vast majority were genuine assylum-seekers.

This feels very real as I'm reading it & I'm identifying with even those characters with whom I have very little in common.

I'm finding it very interesting to read of how those prejudices carried over from Germany & were continued (albeit diluted) in Britain, with the segregation of Jews & other German nationals from the rest of the country, despite the fact that the vast majority were genuine assylum-seekers.

This feels very real as I'm reading it & I'm identifying with even those characters with whom I have very little in common.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Great book, highly recommennded.

I'm really enjoying this book. I was worried that the subject matter would be heavy going, yet Baddiel manages to keep it manageable.

If you saw Baddiel on the "Who Do You Think You Are?", it's obvious where he got the idea for this story. His Grandfather (a German Jew) was also interned on the Isle of Mann during WW2, and I think that the personal nature of the subject shines through in Baddiel's writing.

Unexpectedly, this book had me giggling like mad last night! The bit with the house of Rabbis and the beans was very funny:

Rabbi Metzer raised an eyebrow, or at least appeared to - he had so much hair in so many places on his face that it was difficult to tell - but the abundance of grey fur above his right eye certainly slunk in a generally upwards direction . . .

:smile2:

• 8 months later...

up to the time when Isaac started reading the newspaper - it was a sensational book! However I hated the fact that the first time they got hold of a newspaper, Isaac had to find an article which could hurt him so much and was so personal for him! The odds were less than winning the lottery.

Was then pleasantly surprised at the turn of events when they got caught.....not that I wanted them to, of course, but thought it would go smoothly at the last second - Isaac would be in time!

Am enjoying this book. Wish more people had read it and put their thoughts here.

Ok, so I'll try answering these questions - perhaps more people will be encouraged to read this fab book after all!

1- Who was your favourite character?

I think both Isaac and Lulu are both interesting characters. Lulu on one hand really showed that she could take care of herself and hers, and took the right decisions - albeit not always the easiest ones in the circumstances. I was never sure of what her next move would be.

Isaac on the other hand is the guy you want to help, and you root for from the sidelines. He was not, in my opinion, as strong a character as Lulu, however he was more interesting and versatile. He came through in the end as well - and he went "against the grain" a couple of times!

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed more than the rest?

The ending! I never saw that coming.

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/ by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

I have never read any David Baddiel, although I will look out for his books in the future. I have read books which touch on the Haulocost/Nazi regime before, but this was an especially good read. There is a touch of humour throughout, and it is written in an easy, flowing style, despite the intensity of the subject.

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

I hated the part of when Isaac found a newspaper - and how important it turned out to the flow of events........

I would like to add that this was an excellent book, and I am quite amazed that so few readers on here seem to have read it! I would certainly recommend it! Go reserve/get a copy guys!